different ohm loads

dchambers490

I have a carver 880 home theatre receiver. I have a pair of klipsch rb 25' s I run in parallel for the center channel at 4ohms, a pair of rf3's for the front speakers I run at 8 ohms, and a pair of yamaha 8.2's with a passive sub-woofer (2 channel) run at 4 ohms for the rear channel. Does this pose a problem or any danger to my receiver? Thanks for any feedback!

Replied on carveraudio, too: You shouldn't have any issue with that setup/amp combo IF you're not pushing too hard. If you plan to run the ragged edge, you might consider a beefier receiver, like the Sunfire Ultimate Receiver. I believe Sherbourne & Emotiva make a VERY similar receiver as well.

The manual says it's stable to a 2 ohm load but is that a balanced load over all three channels? The carver receiver has what is called power sum technology which routs power from the other channels to the channel that needs it when the progam material needs that extra power to reproduce that particular material. I have no idea how that works but my consern is that it may be unsafe to run different resistances. Thanks for your input.

The 25s are pretty easy to drive, it's hard to think of a speaker that might be an easier load than that other than a paralleled pair of 16 ohm Walther drivers, maybe. Anyway, I think you'll be fine even if it isn't the most perfect match. If your amp is stable into 2 ohms the load you are using is way easier than that.

Thanx, Russ