Cornwall I info inquiry

Curmudgeon

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a clean pair of Cornwall I's (the same ones discussed on the "Cornwall III's" topic in another thread). I wanted to match my existing pair of unfinished birch II's with another set for rear surround use but when I picked them up yesterday I determined they were not II's but I's for sure. Even though they were advertised incorrectly the price was right and they're in great condition so I closed the deal figuring I may have done better than if they would have actually been II's. The seller (original owner) was extremely pleasant, forthright, and accommodating but just didn't know that much about them (not everyone is a technophile). At what I paid for them ($626.00) I was willing to take a risk rather than give them up and a big plus was that they were located only four hours away from me. I drove down and picked them up myself so they got to my house undamaged and for less than $25.00 worth of gas. I think I did OK but I welcome any opinions either for or against!

I am in the process of cleaning them, checking fasteners, etc. before they go into service so I pulled the backs off to check the drivers and crossovers for numbers. If someone out there (Trey? Mobile Homeless? HornEd?) with the serial number decoder and a better knowledge of the Heritage line could identify these properly and offer opinions I would appreciate it. I'm trying to figure out if the I's would sound better as mains or to use them as surrounds like I initially thought. At some point I will set them up for a direct A-B comparison with the II's but I'm trying to get a bit of a head start. Here's the info from the speakers:

----------------------------------------------------

Type: CD-BR

Serial #'s: 5N856 & 5N857

Crossovers: B3 with original wiring to drivers

Tweeters: K-77 (#'s 29008 & 28977)

Mid horns: K-600

Mid horn drivers: K-52-K

Woofers: K-33 ( 15162 4 ohm 67-92110093 G2 ) Round magnets

----------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance for any help, if anyone needs more info I'll have them apart for another couple of days. I'll be using them with the following components:

Aragon Soundstage pre/pro

Aragon 8008ST amps (3 of 'em)

Aragon D2A2 dac

Aragon 47K phono stage

Linn LP12 Lingo turntable

Rega Planet CD player

Nakamichi DVD-15 DVD player

Denon DR-F7 cassette deck

Cornwall II's (currently mains, may swap to surrounds)

Academy center

Cornwall I's (once reassembled)

KSW-12 sub

LF-10 sub

Greetings,

Your Cornwalls are 1975. The original driver designation for that year should be: K33-B (CTS square magnet), K55-V midrange compression driver, and K77 tweeter with a round gold colored magnet.

From reading the thread about these particular speakers, I gather that the previous owner attempted to upgrade his Cornwalls by purchasing "more current" midrange compression drivers and woofers from Klipsch. Klipsch may have said something like "we have upgraded drivers for that particular model..."

Soundwise, there shouldn't be anything wrong with the driver set up. In fact, I'm sure they sound great. If, however, not having the original drivers bugs you, you can watch Ebay and eventually find the CTS K33's (square magnets) and the K55-V drivers.

Regards,

Andy