New Member w/ Cornwalls

MaynardF

Just picked up a pair of 1985 Cornwalls and I'm loving them! Since 1978 I've been listening to a Yamaha CR1020 with a set of NS690's which I really like, but the soundstage from the Cornwalls is incredible. I used to have the volume cranked up, but now I find myself listening at medium to low volumes and really enjoying it. Which brings me to my questions. I have been pushing the Cornwalls with the Yamaha CR1020 but want to check out a tube amp to see the improvement/diffference. I have a line on a Scott 299 that appears to be in good condition, but probably all original. The seller is firm at $299. Is that a good price? Being it's age, will it start to have problems? I think it's rated at 17 wpc, will that work with my Cornwalls? Do any of you have a 299 running Cornwalls? My system is set up in the master bedroom which is decent size, and although I'm most concerned with quality sound, I still want to be able to crank it sometimes. And last, anyone care to give an opinion between the sound difference between the CR1020 and the 299's? The same seller also has a Fisher 500-C tube reciever, but he wants $495 for it. Which would suit me best? I searched for this info and read a bunch, but still have these questions. Thanks for all responces and this great web site!

Welcome to the Klipsch club, as you can see from my name I am also a fan of the Corns'''s. I have never owned the 1020 or the 299, but both have good reputations. The best choice maker will be your own ears. Maybe the seller of the 299 will let you audition it in your home, thats the best way to know for sure if you will be happy .You can also learn a wealth of info just hanging out here that will help you narrow your choices.

Cornman

Guest David H

Welcome to the forums. The Scott is a great sounding rig, but be prepared to have it overhauled. The 17 watts is plenty to drive Cornwalls, I use 5watt set amps on my Cornwall's and its plenty.

Gotta Love Cornwalls, Dave

I own an original Scott 299-C. It performs ok but needs an overhaul. I'm here to give a second 'woot!' for Craig at NOSValves. I've been emailing him back and forth with questions about my 299. He responded quickly with a rough price on overhauling the unit, and his opinions about the C that I have. Haven't done the overhaul yet - [:$] - other projects getting in the way! What I'm saying is just from is emails I know you'd working with a good guy.

edit: Forgot to say I paid $275 for my Scott 299-C. Here are some pics if you like.

Welcome MaynardF. I am running my Corns with a Scott 299D amp and it sounds great. A properly restored Scott amp is hard to beat.

Here is MY OPINION on your question regarding a Scott 299 with Cornwalls: I think Corwalls do slightly better with the more powerful 299D, 299C, or LK72. Although the 299 will work fine, I prefer the additional headroom of the these amps with Cornwalls (I prefer the 299 with the K-horns - but that is a more efficient speaker). For the price, if the 299 is in very good condition with good tubes, $299 is fair IMO - but in addition, you should budget at least that much for a proper rebuild

Any vintage tube amp will need a thorough going over by a qualified tech. If you buy one that has already been rebuilt, make sure you check out the reputation of the tech. As mentioned in a previous post, NOSValves has an excellent reputation for restoring vintage tube amps (I have two Scott amps and a Scott preamp that he has rebuilt). My recommendation is to buy one already rebuilt by NOSValves, or buy one stock and send it to him.

BTW, I saw Maynard F at a small club in Fort Worth about 25 years ago - great show.

I think it's rated at 17 wpc.................. I still want to be able to crank it sometimes.

My idea of "cranking it" takes a bit more than 17 watts. Once you get over trying to P.O. the neighbors then 17 watts is more than enough but if you really want to crank, you'll need a couple of a hundred watts.

Thanx, Russ

Thanks for the responces, I sent an email to NOS valves to get further info.

Seadog: "BTW, I saw Maynard F at a small club in Fort Worth about 25 years ago - great show."

Yeah, I've seen him several times over the years and he was always phenominal and put on a great show. We all miss him...

Your first pair are Cornwalls?!!???

Why not just come over and wizz on my barbeque?? Leave a steamer in the Loo. Insult my mother...that kind of stuff. I hate you.

Just kiddin. Way to go. Top drawer. Shazamm. Shack. Golly. High Fives. YoGoGurl(Dude). Killer. Congrats. How spectacular. My My. Woweee. How nice. You really know how to hurt a guy.

If I bring the beverages....can I come over for a listen???? :)

Why not just come over and wizz on my barbeque??

My wife comes in our computer room, "What was so funny?"

Still haven't heard Cornwalls. When I picked up some Heresy cabs from tidmack, I saw a pair at his place (bigger than my mind's image) but did not have the pleasure. Soon. Patience.

Good luck on your 299 refurb.

I own an original Scott 299-C. It performs ok but needs an overhaul. I'm here to give a second 'woot!' for Craig at NOSValves. I've been emailing him back and forth with questions about my 299. He responded quickly with a rough price on overhauling the unit, and his opinions about the C that I have. Haven't done the overhaul yet - Embarrassed - other projects getting in the way! What I'm saying is just from is emails I know you'd working with a good guy.

edit: Forgot to say I paid $275 for my Scott 299-C. Here are some pics if you like.

Great Looking 299C

If you are interested, I think that I might have some knob covers that might fit your amp and clean up those naked knobs! Yours for free caveat is that if they dont fit, send them back! Let me know and Ill send them along.

Craig is the man. If you going to do it go all in and get his bias mod. I bought a used 299C that I was lead to believe had the nosvalves mod and it really didnt. The guy I bought it from didnt have the full in mod. Major dispointment. He is apparently sleeping fine as I havent heard from him after I pointed out his omissons. Karma Time for sure.

Great sounding amp. I have had a 299b, 299d and now the c. I havent heard the c on Klipsch as it sits in my office powering a pair of Dynaco A25's. Love the way that amp sounds. Just wish it was in better cosmetic shape (another misrepresentation - be careful out there) and had the bias mod.

Long ***** short, have craig do his magic but go all in!

Josh

I love the 299b with my Cornwalls!! The closest comparison I have to your Yamaha is my CX-630 feeding a MX-630 (135 watts per chan). My Yamaha is much more in your face while the Scott is much more laid back. At 25 watts, the Scott 299b does great with all music I have thrown at it and still gets plenty loud but I don't feel the need as much. If I want the house to scream at the neighbors I go back to the Yamaha... but I've spent the VAST majority of my time with the 299.

If I remember correctly, I was warned away from the early revision of the 299a (heat issues?) but that the later revision of the 299a was very close to the 299b. Craig can tell you anything you need to know.

ENJOY!

Thanks for all of your responces. I contacted Craig at NOS and sent him a photo of the 299. Craig said it was the second version and better than the first, so I ended up buying it. It's sitting on my work bench until Saturday when I will box it up and send it to Craig for a rebuild. I'm real excited to get it back and see what it will do. Thanks again.