Odd Speaker Question

Rocko81

So I'm currently in the process of downsizing a few things due to divorce. Of course I'm keeping MOST of my HT and some of my 2 channel equipment. Sadly I won't have enough room for my Heresy's which leads me to my question. Since my RF-82's can be bi-wired and they are currently hooked up to my HT can I use the open connections to hook up to my Marantz equipment? Or will this create some type of crazy issue and blow up everything I own? Essentially I'd like to have two systems but one pair of speakers.

Thanks,

Rocko

So I'm currently in the process of downsizing a few things due to divorce. Of course I'm keeping MOST of my HT and some of my 2 channel equipment. Sadly I won't have enough room for my Heresy's which leads me to my question. Since my RF-82's can be bi-wired and they are currently hooked up to my HT can I use the open connections to hook up to my Marantz equipment? Or will this create some type of crazy issue and blow up everything I own? Essentially I'd like to have two systems but one pair of speakers.

Thanks,

Rocko

Hey Rocko, I'm not sure what you are asking. Open Connections??? Do you mean the second set of binding posts on the speakers?

Dennie

I wouldn't do it. You'd have to make sure your speakers are being powered by one amp at a time, not both. I dunno, human nature dictates you will forget at some point. Then all there would be to do is drink and hate yourself. [:@]

Better to use an HT bypass mentioned above or have a seperate 2 channel system in another room. MUCH safer, and you'd have two systems to tweek. Twice the fun!

Nope... Can't do it... Here's why...

When you remove the jumpers on the back of the speakers you're seperating the woofers from the tweeters (in a 2-way speaker) or the woofers from the midrange and tweeters (in a 3-way speaker). Technically at you "could" then hook them up to two amps but you'd only get bass from one amp and midgange and top end from the other amp.

If you hook two amps up in parallel to a single set of speakers you're going to cook the output transistors of one or the other amps. Don't ask me how I know this [:'(].

All of that said there is a good way to hook up two amps to a singl pair of speakers. There is a switch made by Niles that allows it. One amp is the "default" amp and the other amp uses its 12V trigger to switch over to the other amp. I ran one of these switches and it worked really well. I don't recall the model number at the moment but if it's something you want to do I'll look it up.

Jeff

NILES SPK-1 They retail fro around 100 bucks but I have seen them on eBay for 80.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230429954628&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

(not sure why this doesn't show as a link...sorry)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll need one of these gizmos if I understand your post correctly. The current from one amp will cause some bad juju with the other amp if you leave them both connected. And as was posted, if you remove the jumper (or Yumper if you are from a Nordic country) then you'll be knocking half of each speak out of the equation. I could go into a long detailed diatribe as to how I know all about this firsthand, but that would make me look like an idiot and you might just be able to feel the resultant heat from my amp and smell the curious electrical odors wafting about which emmanated from same when I tried this little trick. Made sense sorta.....but then again I'm a dolt so don't take my word on anything.

Sucks to be sure. The flip side it that my starter wife got my old (lame) system. Little does she know that I am now shaking the walls in grand fashion! She doesn't know about the twins either.

Which reminds me a of joke......

What's the difference between a guys first wife and his second wife?? The first one has real diamonds and fake orgasms, whereas the second one has fake diamonds and ......well... you get the picture.

NILES SPK-1 They retail fro around 100 bucks but I have seen them on eBay for 80.

Just a heads up... they do not come with the power supply required to trigger the switch. They assume you either already have a 12volt trigger source or you have to buy a power supply. It calls for a 12vdc 100 milliamp power supply. I bought Jhoak's and it works great for switching between the HT and 2 channel amp! I just used one of many power supplies I have lying around. I kept it at 12 volts but it is ok to go over the amperage a little. Mine is around 800 milliamps.

I have several of these Niles units, bought more than I needed back when I segregated my HT and 2 channel. As long as the wall wart power supply has the amperage needed you're all good. At times I used the 12 vdc triggers on the AVR, at times I used a spare wall wart power supply plugged into a switched outlet on a piece of gear and at other times I used a Niles APC still sitting around hear somewhere. Bottom line is with the SPK-1 and AC-3 you can do a lot to 'make the switch' and it don't cost much.