Old Enough To Remember the '60s?

HarryO

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old enough to remember NBC peacock with tail feathers shaped like princess cut diamonds, black and white TV with snow, Horizontal control knob, test patterns, Ultra Man, Speed Racer, Mr Ed, Sugar Foot, 1968 Red Line tire Hot Wheels, Johny Lightning cars, Big Slot Cars; mostly made by Cox. street lights with screw in bulbs and green and white ruffled and enameled reflectors, Dino Gas, Waky Pack Stickers, 10 cent glass bottles of Coke from the old red pop machines with the tall skinny door that you opened and you had to pull the bottle past the roller, Super Chargers by Hot Wheels, Tip It, Twister, Sorry, Monopoly, Hop-In-Poppies, Mouse Trap, Shoot-n-galery, On thin Ice, Pop-It, Ker-Plunk, Clue, Operation, Ku-foree', Tripolee, Crazy Wheel, Barrel-O-Monkees, Lionel O-Gauge trains with bodies made from cast metal, Jarts, Croket, Box Kites, Estes Model Rockets, Schwin Bikes, Honda Trail 50s and Trail 90s, Mighty Mike Jeep, home milk delivery, Home Gasolene delivery (we had a tank on stilts that was gravity feed) push button electrical wall switches, rotary dial phones and party phone lines, Tonka Trucks made out of metal, Islees Ice Cream, Arby's Roast Beef, when it was a real piece of meat turning on a spit in a glass box that they cut from with a long knife, Huge Mall water fountains, paper boys on bycycles, Grandmas home made rice pudding or rolled oats from a doublr boiler, Orange Crush or Frostee Root Beer over vanilla ice cream in a glass.

Roger

• Moderators

Well done. I'm a 1960 baby and remember most of it very well. I still remember sitting down with the family to watch The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show. Those were the days.

Me too

1957..........Also remember listening to fights on the radio with my dad. Also while watching the nightly news if there was a murder in the city it was BIG news, sadly now it's how many !

Also no seat belts, I can remember going on vacation to California and along the way laying in the back window of the 1960 something model Chevy car going down the highway. [:o] That was a great trip, my first Chinese food was from China Town and we got see some Hippies [:P] as we went past Haight and Ashbury St.

Well done. I'm a 1960 baby and remember most of it very well. I still remember sitting down with the family to watch The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show. Those were the days.

Me too

1957..........Also remember listening to fights on the radio with my dad. Also while watching the nightly news if there was a murder in the city it was BIG news, sadly now it's how many !

Also no seat belts, I can remember going on vacation to California and along the way laying in the back window of the 1960 something model Chevy car going down the highway. Surprise That was a great trip, my first Chinese food was from China Town and we got see some Hippies Stick out tongue as we went past Haight and Ashbury St.

DTEL,

I PM'd Christy, how is Jamie doing??

I remember riding up in the package tray of mom and dads 1968 Ford LTD most of the way from Ohio to Florida because I couldn't stand to sit next to my sister. Mom and dad had an Impala before the LTD, and in 1969, they bought a second brand new car, a 1969 VW beetle. It needed worked on when it was fairly new, and they gave us a loaner VW with the "Herbie" package. We were very popular for about a week when the bus would stop to let us off at home....

Roger

Seat belts and side marker lights became mandatory in 1968, befor 1968, they were an option.

The ultimate shoe--the PF FLYER, and real cartoons (not the crap being called cartoons these days)--You want to hang with some cool dudes? Hang with Tennessee Tuxedo, Quik Draw McGraw, Sheriff "Bing-Bing-Bing" Richochet Rabbit; and don't forget to meet George Jetson, Jane his wife, his daughter Judy, and his boy Elroy.

Red Ball Jets (sneakers).............make you run faster, and jump higher. Remember those? I never got to have a pair.

I had a pair of those. They really worked. Or at least I think I had a pair of those. Roger, you left out Gigantor the space age robot.

I had a toy robot, but don't remember what it was called. It would go about 3 steps, spin at the waste, then the two chest doors would open and two machine guns would fire. Then the doors would close and it would run through the cycle again. GI Joe dolls were another one. Cap Guns...

Roger

The ultimate shoe--the PF FLYER, and real cartoons (not the crap being called cartoons these days)--You want to hang with some cool dudes? Hang with Tennessee Tuxedo, Quik Draw McGraw, Sheriff "Bing-Bing-Bing" Richochet Rabbit; and don't forget to meet George Jetson, Jane his wife, his daughter Judy, and his boy Elroy.

Kukla-Fran and Olie, Romper Room, Sherman and Mr. Peabody, Rocky and Bulwinkle, Under Dog, Gumby, Pokey, and the Block Heads, Lost in Space (Danger Will Robinson, Danger!), The Monkeys, Captain Kangaroo-Mr Green Jeans-Mr Moose-Mr Rabbit, re-runs of Howdy Doody and Clarabel the clown, who incidentally became Captain Kangaroo after beeing Clarabel the Clown. Not bad memory for born May, 7th 1964 Huh?

Roger

I have an old picture taken of me on Easter when I was a young kid, I am dressed in a suit and holding a brand new GI Joe (an Easter present).

This was the very first edition of GI Joes and they had only been selling them for about a month.

A few years ago I remember reading someone paid a million dollars for one of the first edition GI Joes, I look at that picture and sure wish I had that GI Joe in that same condition now. I should have kept it in the box and saved it, if I'd only known.

Banana bikes and the 1910 Fruit Gum Company

My sisters (6 each) and I used to take turns going to the grandparents house IN TOWN and get to watch TV; Bonanza, Lawrence Welk, Grand Ole Opry... All week long the lucky kid(s) had to pantomime TV commercials to the rest of the family and we had to guess the product. Back out in the country on the ranch I listened to the Green Hornet radio show and fell asleep with mom tuned in to The Bill Mack Over the Road Show from WBAP in Dallas calling out messages to the over the road truckers (my dad was one).