Old Enough To Remember the '60s?

HarryO

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twenty Cent a gallon gasoline, "Cruising" the hot spots here in Indy in my '65 Goat. 389 4spd, 3 dueces, 456 "P" trac, Pionees super 8 track, MT street slicks, Doug Thorley, Holley, Edelbrock, Crane, balanced and blue printed, rolled and pleated, Indianapolis Raceway Park, Nationals,

Leather jackets, long hair came in and my crew cuts were out. Pegged leg jeans, and my first real Harley Davidson '50 Panhead "basket case" built in a 1 stall "garage" behind the house

We'd meet up every weekend at the Steer-in, Al Greens, Tee Pee, Blue Ribbon, Steak and Shake in Lawrence, and Fox rd for drag racing. Big deal back then. $50 was the minimum entry fee to even get a "run". The days of the 10 second street rods.

I'd already figured out what girls were for by then. The music in the "rod" was a necessity, speakers hangin' everywhere.

Viet Nam was making the news, "THE DRAFT", Tonkin Bay, USMC boot at MCRD 'diego, the big shiny freedom bird, "in country", the BIG PX, The world, "it don't mean s..t"

The world was no longer a safe place to live. It changed.

Got married, a kid I got to see pics of only from my ammo can bunker/home

"Charlie", Tet, Armed Forces Radio, gun ships, Puff the Magic Dragon, Cronkite, LBJ.

Pot, LSD, mescaline, peyote, mushrooms,

I don't remember all of the '60s but enough. LOL!

Gumby and Pokey

Wonderama and Ranger Hal (both local to DC area)

Hot Wheels (wish I hadn't let my little brothers destroy my collection!)

My green schwinn 3 speed chopper with banana seat (very cool but heavy and slow)

The Washington Senators (could sit anywhere you wanted at RFK since nobody every showed up)

Grade school = K - 6th, Jr. High = 7-9, High School = 10-12

We rode our bikes or walked to school - only fear was bullies, not pedophiles

Halloween - hundreds of kids walking through the neighborhood trick or treating for Unicef (Unicef boxes given out in school)

Baseball card packs had gum inside

If you were really bad, you got the belt (I lived in fear of the belt my entire childhood although I only got whacked once or twice)

1957 here.

Anyone else get their milk delivered to an aluminum box on the front porch. Be sure you shake it or all you'll get is cream when you pulled the cardboard cap and got the first pour.

How about S&H Green Stamps. I must have licked several thousand and put them in the book.

Certainly I wasn't the only one that had a pump bazooka gun that shot ping-pong balls?

How about those spirographs?

I remember one year I got a banana seat for my bike and it instantly turned my hand me down bike into an object ov envy.

This thought occured to me just last night. My wife and I were watching a DVD. She went to the kitchen for something and asked me to rewind it.

Then I thought rewind it? Rewind what? There's no tape there, shouldn't there be another term for that nowadays?

1957 here.

Anyone else get their milk delivered to an aluminum box on the front porch. Be sure you shake it or all you'll get is cream when you pulled the cardboard cap and got the first pour.

How about S&H Green Stamps. I must have licked several thousand and put them in the book.

Certainly I wasn't the only one that had a pump bazooka gun that shot ping-pong balls?

How about those spirographs?

I remember one year I got a banana seat for my bike and it instantly turned my hand me down bike into an object ov envy.

I remember all of those. My milkman was Skippy from Thompson's Dairy. When we got older, my sister and I would tease our little brothers, telling them they looked more like Skippy than Dad. They didn't understand.

We had both Green Stamps and the Yellow ones. I think I still have a few million stashed away somewhere. I never turned them in before they went belly up.

Spirographs and Super-Spirographs

How about Creepy Crawlers!!! How great were the 60s when you could leave your kid alone with a metal mold that heated up to around 250 degrees, plugged into the wall socket with a 4 foot cord!

We had both Green Stamps and the Yellow ones. I think I still have a few million stashed away somewhere. I never turned them in before they went belly up.

Yellow ones? We had Green Stamps and Blue Chip Stamps

How about Creepy Crawlers!!! How great were the 60s when you could leave your kid alone with a metal mold that heated up to around 250 degrees, plugged into the wall socket with a 4 foot cord!

Creepy Crawlers were one of my favorites! Also Lincoln Logs

I've seen comments in this thread about Cokes being 10 cents, and about the "yellow" stamps . . . I've seen that someone has indicated they were born in 1954 . . .

I guess you would have to be born in 1953 to know that the "yellow" stamps are "Top Value" stamps, and to remember Cokes costing a nickle, and you could take the empty bottle back to the store to get a penny back. And to remember your parents screaming when Cokes in the machine went up to 6 cents, a freakin' 20% increase. I can't say that I remember gasoline being 19 cents, but I do remember when all the pumps had a little glass dome with a little "anemometer" looking thing inside that spun around, so that you could be sure that gas was flowing into your tank? I remember that you could either be a fan of the Beatles or the Dave Clark Five, but not of both. I remember when the best concerts were the free concerts at the lakefront or at Audubon Park. Sometimes with big names playing, like the original Allman Brothers. I remember when "Wheels of Fire" was new, and "Are You Experienced". And rock music cuts that were like 20 minutes long were played on "underground" FM stations. Popeils Pocket Fisherman was a new product, and advertised on TV daily. I saw an open motorcade with JFK riding through the streets of New Orleans in May of 1962. I remember my 5th grade classroom when JFK was assassinated in November 1963. I remember going to look at a Honda "Z" car at the dealer when you could buy one brand new for $1200.

IHow about Creepy Crawlers!!! How great were the 60s when you could leave your kid alone with a metal mold that heated up to around 250 degrees, plugged into the wall socket with a 4 foot cord!

Those were AWESOME!! I used to go to friends or relatives houses to play with stuff like that, as we never had a lot when I was growing up. Other favorite toys were Lincoln Logs, Erector sets, Tinker Toys and those plastic cowboys and indians that had all the accessories (forgot their name).

Hey Twisted you dont happen to be from the east coast do you?? Never heard anyone else call it pop and never knew Arbys got outside Pa (Altoona at that). Ohh the roastbeef with lots of red sauce, mmmmmmm. Or eatin at the red barn.

I played for hours with lincon logs but never seemed to have enough to finish my project.

Hey Twisted you dont happen to be from the east coast do you?? Never heard anyone else call it pop and never knew Arbys got outside Pa (Altoona at that). Ohh the roastbeef with lots of red sauce, mmmmmmm. Or eatin at the red barn.

I played for hours with lincon logs but never seemed to have enough to finish my project.

We have Arby's here in California, have loved them since I was a kid.