Old Enough To Remember the '60s?

HarryO

In '64 I lived in Daytona Beach. We'd go to the beach on the weekends and stop by Krystals for a "sac" of their little square burgers. 10 for $1.00 for regular or 10 for $1.20 with cheese.

That was when they still tasted good. I still eat at Krystals once in a while. We have lots of them in Chattanooga, where they started. As well as Coca-Cola. The little 6oz glass bottles, sugar and NOT HFCS!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gumby and Pokey

Wonderama and Ranger Hal (both local to DC area)

Hot Wheels (wish I hadn't let my little brothers destroy my collection!)

My green schwinn 3 speed chopper with banana seat (very cool but heavy and slow)

The Washington Senators (could sit anywhere you wanted at RFK since nobody every showed up)

Grade school = K - 6th, Jr. High = 7-9, High School = 10-12

We rode our bikes or walked to school - only fear was bullies, not pedophiles

Halloween - hundreds of kids walking through the neighborhood trick or treating for Unicef (Unicef boxes given out in school)

Baseball card packs had gum inside

If you were really bad, you got the belt (I lived in fear of the belt my entire childhood although I only got whacked once or twice)

Matel brought out Hot Wheels in 1968. Matel used to hold races in a city in each state at a Mall every year. You were supposed to be at least 8 to enter. They had a Junior and an Adult Vission. In 1971 The Ohio Matel / Hot Wheels State Championships were held at Eastwood Mall in Youngstown Ohio. My mom talked to the president of the Mall and Got permission for me to enter. I won not only the Junior Devision, but the Ohio State Championship. They wanted me to lie about my age after I won. I won enough Matel toys and Hot Wheels products that I could buy a nice house in Ft. Meyers if they were all still new in the box. The Nationals were held in Saginaw Michigan. Won a trip there for the Nationals for me and my family. All of the finalists got to be on TV in Saginaw and go bowling. The tracks were to be 500 feet long and drop 50 feet. The track in Ohio was steep with a long coast section and I had a Green Sea Sider with the red and white boat (Very Heavey so it accelerated fast), The Saginaw Track was a slow continuous angle from one end to the other. Track was alot slower and areodynamic cars did well. I came in second to last at Saginaw, Michigan. Still have my Junior Division and State Trophy, plus Newspaper clippings my mom saved, plus a percentage of ver used cars. I won so many that I could run track from the third floor to outside and arround the house, and mom gave alot of my unopened sets away as gifts. Still have a list of all the state winners that year somewhere.

Roger

Roger

This thought occured to me just last night. My wife and I were watching a DVD. She went to the kitchen for something and asked me to rewind it.

Then I thought rewind it? Rewind what? There's no tape there, shouldn't there be another term for that nowadays?

My Sonys DVD players have rewind and it's got a continuous varriable speed as well.

Roger

1957 here.

Anyone else get their milk delivered to an aluminum box on the front porch. Be sure you shake it or all you'll get is cream when you pulled the cardboard cap and got the first pour.

How about S&H Green Stamps. I must have licked several thousand and put them in the book.

Certainly I wasn't the only one that had a pump bazooka gun that shot ping-pong balls?

How about those spirographs?

I remember one year I got a banana seat for my bike and it instantly turned my hand me down bike into an object ov envy.

I remember all of those. My milkman was Skippy from Thompson's Dairy. When we got older, my sister and I would tease our little brothers, telling them they looked more like Skippy than Dad. They didn't understand.

We had both Green Stamps and the Yellow ones. I think I still have a few million stashed away somewhere. I never turned them in before they went belly up.

Spirographs and Super-Spirographs

How about Creepy Crawlers!!! How great were the 60s when you could leave your kid alone with a metal mold that heated up to around 250 degrees, plugged into the wall socket with a 4 foot cord!

Had Creepy Crawlers! My mom had just gotten 4 of those brand new modernistic white fiberglass chairs with aqua cushions that swiveled 360 degrees at the base. Most of those chairs came with the round bases, but mom ordered the ones with four seperate feet, exactly like the ones pictured on the hyperlink at the beginning of this thread. My sister and I were making so many creepy crawlers that I set two seperate hot molds on moms new chairs cushions and melted two rounded corner squares into the vynl surface. Did you know that if you surf ebay you can still find unopened new old stock creepy crawlers with unopened bottles of "GOOP" still!!

Got another one for you guys, who remembers "Magic Rocks" that made those neat castle looking formations, or "Shrinky Dinks"

Roger

We had both Green Stamps and the Yellow ones. I think I still have a few million stashed away somewhere. I never turned them in before they went belly up.

Yellow ones? We had Green Stamps and Blue Chip Stamps

How about Creepy Crawlers!!! How great were the 60s when you could leave your kid alone with a metal mold that heated up to around 250 degrees, plugged into the wall socket with a 4 foot cord!

Creepy Crawlers were one of my favorites! Also Lincoln Logs

The Green ones were G&W I think, and there were ORANGISH-yellow ones. My mom still has both.

Roger

Yellow ones? We had Green Stamps and Blue Chip Stamps

Creepy Crawlers were one of my favorites! Also Lincoln Logs

Had tons of Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, and Erector Set....

Roger

Hey Twisted you dont happen to be from the east coast do you?? Never heard anyone else call it pop and never knew Arbys got outside Pa (Altoona at that). Ohh the roastbeef with lots of red sauce, mmmmmmm. Or eatin at the red barn.

I played for hours with lincon logs but never seemed to have enough to finish my project.

Grew up in Mineral Ridge Ohio, Very Close to Youngstown, Family in New Castle Pa. We had the early Arbys and a couple of Red Barns.

I remember Red Barn having a talking chicken leg and two other characters. Liked the Red Barn better then Mc Donalds. Red Barn we had also had a trash can with a head on it. I think it was a lions head in fiberglass. Lions mouth was open and had a large pipe in it. It must have had an electric eye, because when you put your hand in with the trash, a vacume would turn on sucking the paper out of your hand the the characters voice would thank you for throwing your trash away.

Anybody remember going to the malls and big series of animal cages. You would put your change in and the animal, usually a chicken or rabit would be cued by a light or something and would perform something to get a little feed?

Roger

Voyage to the bottom of the sea.

Roger

I think Voyage to the bottom of the sea was probably my very first favorite TV show/movie. I even had a toy submarine of the Seaview.

Another early TV memory Sheriff John.

Did your Seaview have the mini sub as well?

Roger

To be honest I don't remember if it did or not, it may have, I do remember the Seaview was a really cool toy though definitely one of my favorites at that time and is one of my earliest memories.

The Green ones were G&W I think, and there were ORANGISH-yellow ones. My mom still has both.

Roger

The green ones were S&H Green stamps, I never saw or heard of the yellow ones before they were either before my time or maybe they were never in my area here in southern California.

That's it! Top Value Stamps. Thanks.

We still have Arbys here in MD.

Hot Shops and Jr. Hot Shops

Roy Rogers Double R Bar Burgers

Lincoln Logs

Etch-a-scetch

Tinker Toys

Chemistry Sets

Arbys and Rax are now roast compressed meat like bologna or hot dogs, it is of a steer, so they call it beef. The old Arbys used to have real roast Beef on spits that turned inside of glass cases and they would cut off fresh slices for your sandwich. I know about the compressed loafs of meat because one of my best friends is a micro biologist that tests food for bacterium and mold that would make you sick. The stuff looks like meat colored apple sauce before they compress and cook it. It is made of all the parts they could not sell comercially and scraps. They make it in 10,000 pound vats and he gets 5 pounds to test out of every 10,000 pounds they make. There is a large meat processing plant in Columbus Ohio that makes all of this for several states arround, plus meat for Taco Bell, and Wendys. I asked him what is most likely to make you sick, and he said anything chicken from Wendies always runs close to the edge.

Roger

In '64 I lived in Daytona Beach. We'd go to the beach on the weekends and stop by Krystals for a "sac" of their little square burgers. 10 for $1.00 for regular or 10 for $1.20 with cheese.

My maternal grand father bought 13 lots on Estero Island in 1961. In 1961, they were $1,000 a lot. He built the second house built on the most southern tip of the Island on Esterlita Blvd. Used to go for two weeks every Christmas and all grand children were rotated one a year for a whole month during summer vacation. Great fishing before it was depleted, pre codos. I wish all condos were leveled. The Island is 8 miles long and 5.5 miles of beach was all natural, tidal pools, sea grasses, pen sheeling, HUGE clams, Blue Crabs, Stone Crabs, tons of shells I can name you cannot find anymore. Ft Meyers city annexed the beach, then came in 10 years later and said you owe all these back taxes on the inflated value we now say the beach is worth. The 5.5 acres of natural beach was jointly owned by all the southern end residents, many who came when it was cheap, many to old to care. Ft Meyers city took the whole beach for back taxes and sold it all to condo developement and a few multi million dollar houses. Beach is still supposed to be public access to high tide mark to public, but some of those multi million dollar homes have fences that stretch at least 3 feet deep into the low tide and have dogs they will sick on you, and the cops let it slide.Many good memories ruined!!!

Roger

Anybody remember going to the malls and big series of animal cages. You would put your change in and the animal, usually a chicken or rabit would be cued by a light or something and would perform something to get a little feed?

Roger

The only place I remember seeing the performing chicken machines was at Knott's Berry Farm, I am not sure how well known Knott's Berry Farm is outside of California so if you don't know it is a western ghost town theme park located near Disneyland where Knott's Jelly and Jams originated. It's a pretty large amusement ride park now.

Green stamps rings a bell.

An honorary aunt gave me birthday present of a couple of books of green stamps and a catalog. It was enough to buy a football. It was better than money in a way and was not spoiling a kid. There is nothing like that today.

Also in those days: the Boy Scouts of America was going strong and a many of us got to go camping, fool with knives, axes, and fire (smile). Plus BSA had a strong moral code. It was a good way to grow up.

Wm Gil McD

Green stamps rings a bell.

An honorary aunt gave me birthday present of a couple of books of green stamps and a catalog. It was enough to buy a football. It was better than money in a way and was not spoiling a kid. There is nothing like that today.

Also in those days: the Boy Scouts of America was going strong and a many of us got to go camping, fool with knives, axes, and fire (smile). Plus BSA had a strong moral code. It was a good way to grow up.

Wm Gil McD

Yeah you use to get the stamps whenever you bought groceries or gas, of course that ended while I was just a kid.

LOL, yeah now the kids go to school and fool with knives in gangs, definitely a different world now.

Your memory is pretty good

Yet I can't remember what I had for dinner last night. That's not good, is it........................................Sad

Short term memory / grey matter, you don't have enough folds in the surface of your cerebral cortex, folds increase surface area, hence increase in grey matter, hence increased short term memory retension, simple.....

Roger