Old Enough To Remember the '60s?

HarryO

with the hell's angels having a headquarters in oakland, i remember one day seeing what seemed like an endless line of bikers coming down the street. not sure how old i was but it had to be less than eight years old. i stood on the curb waving to the bikers--and they waved back. suddenly, this lady runs from her house, grabs me and drags me inside her house. she was "saving" me from the bikers. i'm sure she meant well and figured they'd swoop me up and take me to the corner of Haight & ashbury and feed me LSD.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

How about Creepy Crawlers!!! How great were the 60s when you could leave your kid alone with a metal mold that heated up to around 250 degrees, plugged into the wall socket with a 4 foot cord!

Also I remember having a toy that you plugged in and it heated up and had about a 3" square of thin plastic which you pulled down over whatever you put on the base then it would make a vacuum and suck the hot plastic around what you put on the other side to mold it as a copy. (kind of Hard to explain)

Also remember being my parents remote when they wanted to switch to any of the 4 channels and when color TV came along it was unbelievable.

I don't know if this was just local to New Orleans but I doubt it. When you went to the local neighborhood grocery store there were wooden crates outside on the sidewalk with live Chicken's and Ducks, you would pick out what you wanted and they would kill and clean it for an extra charge or you could just take them live and do it yourself. No pre packaged poultry, and beef or Pork was cut for you and wrapped in white paper, nothing was in clear plastic like today.

Also remember being my parents remote when they wanted to switch to any of the 4 channels and when color TV came along it was unbelievable.

Remember the first TV remotes, they had huge mechanical buttons only two one OFF/ON one changed channels and they made a "Ka-Ching" sound when the buttons were pressed.

The sound was what made them work. I remember my neighbors dog would always run across the room and the sound from the dogs collar and dog license tags rattling would sometime cause their TV to turn OFF or change channels.

. . . I am not sure how well known Knott's Berry Farm is outside of California so if you don't know it is a western ghost town theme park located near Disneyland where Knott's Jelly and Jams originated. It's a pretty large amusement ride park now.

My mother used to talk about Knott's Berry Farm when I was very young. I was born in Corona, at the Naval Hospital. My dad was in the Marines and stationed there, and my mother was there with him. I was less than a year old when he got out of the Marines and returned to New Orleans, so I remember nothing about Corona. I did look up a bunch of stuff on the internet a couple of years ago about the "Norconian".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Norconian_Resort_Supreme

We had both Green Stamps and the Yellow ones. I think I still have a few million stashed away somewhere. I never turned them in before they went belly up.

Those green stamps are still in use...sorta.

http://www.greenpoints.com/account/act_default.asp '> http://www.greenpoints.com/account/act_default.asp

Does anyone remember when the Standard Coffee man made his route stop at your house? Sold coffee and various kitchen sundries. Also had candy[Y], VERY EXCITING.

Randall

Anyone remember:

Kimba The White Lion

Sinbad The Sailor with Salty The Parrot By His Side (they were a fearless crew)

Beenie and Cecil

Hercules (with his friend Newton - half horse, half boy - I'm hip, I'm hip)

Felix The Cat

I remember rushing home from school, maybe first grade (1966?), to watch The Incredible Hulk, Captain America and the rest of the Marvel superhero cartoons.

How about Charles Chips? The potato chips that were delivered to your door. I knew exactly when he'd deliver to my brothers house and made sure I was there. They came in a big beige can. They were sooooo good.

Anyone remember the Fuller Brush guy? Stanley home products?

Anyone remember:

Kimba The White Lion

Sinbad The Sailor with Salty The Parrot By His Side (they were a fearless crew)

Beenie and Cecil

Hercules (with his friend Newton - half horse, half boy - I'm hip, I'm hip)

Felix The Cat

I remember rushing home from school, maybe first grade (1966?), to watch The Incredible Hulk, Captain America and the rest of the Marvel superhero cartoons.

Ahh I remember loving Kimba

Beenie and Cecil was one I always liked and seemed rare to be on, never seemed to get enough air play

Felix the Cat is probably the very first cartoon I can remember watching in my earliest memories, probably the first theme song memory I have also, Felix the cat, the wonderful wonderful cat"