Old Enough To Remember the '60s?

HarryO

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Charles Chips? The potato chips that were delivered to your door. I knew exactly when he'd deliver to my brothers house and made sure I was there. They came in a big beige can. They were sooooo good.

Anyone remember the Fuller Brush guy? Stanley home products?

I remember the Charles Chips guy. He drove a big UPS-like van. Their chips always seemed burnt to me but my mother loved them.

I remember the Charles Chips guy. He drove a big UPS-like van. Their chips always seemed burnt to me but my mother loved them.

Yep, that's the guy. We never got a lot of potato chips when I was small, so they tasted really good when I could get some. I never knew that such a service existed untill one day I was at my brothers house and a guy rang the doorbell with a big can of chips in his hand. I was blown away. His visits were only eclipsed by the ice cream truck.

• Moderators

Any of you guys make dams in the gutters? That's me looking dapper in my beret.

Of course, nice pictures and beret. Looking at that rocket ship your dad built are you sure your not related to that guy in Colorado who built that balloon and got on the news ?

After purchasing the K-horns I was lusting for a Rec-O-Kit turntable, Marantz FM Tuner, Marantz Stereo amps or Crown DC-300 amps, Marantz pre-amp, and an Ampex 24 head 2" tape deck. Yeah, I was going to install and program all the songs on the Ampex. Then I thought about a 3 million dollar house with 66 foot opennings for the k-horn drivers and trees slabbed for bars and chairs. Then I determined I couldn't afford to even cut the tree down let alone build the house. And the violin plays.

JJK

Oh Thebes-you were always one step ahead of "the man." I note that your hair was parted on the side. I recall an officer in the Coast Guard telling me way back in the 70s, that people that parted their hair in the middle were "drug oriented." Although my hair was cut since I was in the military--it was parted in the middle. I don't recall what else he said because I was pretty stoned at the time.

Hell, I remember the '50s.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Slinkys.

"Most people are like Slikys - pretty much useless - but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs." (can't take credit for that - read it somewhere)

James

"Most people are like Slikys - pretty much useless - but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs." (can't take credit for that - read it somewhere)

I have no idea if it is anything he said, but when I read that I picture George Carlin saying it.

Slinky's sure could do a lot in the commercials and only in the commercials

1949 vintage here. I remember when the penny slot was added to drink machines. Outrageous.....drinks were now 6 cents. You could still get a carton of six Pepsis for a quarter at the grocery store. Remember Suncrest orange, Teem, RC Cola. Pouring salted peanuts in your Pepsi. Little League baseball....fretting all day over a rained out game. Throwing a baseball on to the roof and catching it as it rolled down when you had no one else to play catch with. Playing pick up games on the vacant lot...from early morning till dinner time. Stealing water melons. Hitch hiking 4 miles to Wrightsville Beach wearing nothing but cut off jeans.....standing on the white stripe to keep your feet from burning. Mowing lawns in the neighbor hood for a dollar. Watching Bonanza which followed the Dinah Shore show on Sunday nights. Amos and Andy, Flash Gordon, Highway Patrol, Little Rascals, Rawhide...some great acting[;)]

Gas wars....bought gas for 17.9 cents. I'd pull up to the pump in my TR-3 and get a dollars worth of Hi-Test.

A little dab of Brylcream in your hair, yellow socks, Calypsos, seersucker shirts with matching belts and billfolds....man we were stylish.

Rarely remember going to a restaurant for dinner. No cooking on a grill....steaks in a frying pan[:S]

Well thats my trip down memory lane.....the 60s were a great time to grow up.

Also I remember having a toy that you plugged in and it heated up and had about a 3" square of thin plastic which you pulled down over whatever you put on the base then it would make a vacuum and suck the hot plastic around what you put on the other side to mold it as a copy. (kind of Hard to explain)

Vacu-Form. I still have one.

That was in the days before people worried about unsafe toys.

Greg

Not sure I ever tried Brylcreme. For me, there was nothing like rubbing a big ol' glob of butch wax into my scalp. I had a nasty cowlick. Since that time, the cow has pretty much licked my head clean...

butchwaxbst.jpg

And how about barber shops! Remember the first time you didn't have to sit on the board across the arms? Or those fascinating mirrors, where you could see weaaaay back there...

Not sure I ever tried Brykcreme. For me, there was nothing like rubbing a big ol' glob of butch wax into my scalp. I had a nasty cowlick.

There was a product called "Score". Green-colored Vaseline in a toothpaste tube. You put it in your hair ...

Greg