Old Enough To Remember the '60s?

HarryO

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my oldest brother was born June 19,1950----the 2nd was December 12.1953----and I was born June 18, !955......2 1/2 years between each of us.....one big memory was shacking hands with Hoss from Bonanza at the Arkansas State Fair I know he was a pretty big guy....but this was probably 1960 0r '61 and he seemed to be 8 feet tall.

another biggie was gas at around 19 cents a gallon...we would go cash in coke bottles for my oldest brother to put gas in his 64 VW bug and he would drive us around town, we were pretty cool to be able to hang with someone who could drive...........

. . . another biggie was gas at around 19 cents a gallon...we would go cash in coke bottles for my oldest brother to put gas in his 64 VW bug and he would drive us around town, we were pretty cool to be able to hang with someone who could drive...........

And, the attendant would pump that 19 cent gasoline for you, while he cleaned your windshield, checked under the hood. and added FREE air to your white-sidewall tires. [:o]

John Glenn, February 1962, teacher wheeled a black and white (duh) TeeVee into the classroom so we could watch him orbit the earth. Pictures of Mission Control - map of the world on the wall with a (cardboard?) space capsule travelling along the orbital pathway in "real time"...

Went to Cape Canaveral a few years ago. If you take the tour of the "old cape" that room is still there. Looks just like I remembered it. Original Redstone launching pad (Shepard and Grissom) is still there, concrete bunker with thick glass windows overlooking a big iron ring where the rocket stood, with a control console standing in the center of the room with a big red button labeled "launch missle" on the podium...

Also I remember having a toy that you plugged in and it heated up and had about a 3" square of thin plastic which you pulled down over whatever you put on the base then it would make a vacuum and suck the hot plastic around what you put on the other side to mold it as a copy. (kind of Hard to explain)

Vacu-Form. I still have one.

That was in the days before people worried about unsafe toys.

Wood-burning sets were popular then, too. Somehow, I don't remember getting too many burns when trying to produce the nice designs with the big soldering iron.

Here's a memory I'm not entirely proud ofEmbarrassed but I'll claim ignorance of youth, Do you remember the soda vending machines where the bottles laid in a horizontal row with the bottle caps facing you? You'd put your coin in, open a glass door and pull the bottle out. The tops of the bottles where you grabbed were exposed. When you put your coin in, the U shaped holder would swing out and release the bottle. Well, we never had any change, but we'd carry a bottle opener and remove the caps while the bottles were still locked in the machine. You could get about 2/3 of the bottle to pour into a glass. For those of you who haven't seen that type of machine, picture a bottle laying on it's side with the cap off. That's how much we could get. My father would have torn me a new a$$ if he ever found out what we were doing.

You forgot the straw to finish it off with. At least there's a statute of limitations on cola pilfering

I remember being 10 or 11 and sitting outside the candy store when the Coke truck was delivering pop. The sides of the truck were open then, and we wondered if anyone would be bad enough to steal a case of Coke when the driver wasn't looking. We weren't angels, but none of us were bad enough to do that.

• Moderators

Wood-burning sets were popular then, too. Somehow, I don't remember getting too many burns when trying to produce the nice designs with the big soldering iron.

I had one of those also but I strangely got really hooked on burning my name on the stems of the plants my dad had hanging in the back garage to dry ?

Also I remember having a toy that you plugged in and it heated up and had about a 3" square of thin plastic which you pulled down over whatever you put on the base then it would make a vacuum and suck the hot plastic around what you put on the other side to mold it as a copy. (kind of Hard to explain)

Vacu-Form. I still have one.

That was in the days before people worried about unsafe toys.

Had a wood burning set as well, but spent more time with my parents big magnifying glass. I used to love to burn ants, spiders, centipeeds, and sow bugs alive. Wrote our last name on the handles of several garden tools with that magnifying glass.

Roger

Anyone remember It's about Time?

"It's about time, it's about space, it's about the start of the human race." It was only on for one season in the '60s. Even as a kid, I thought it was a kinda corny show.

Anyone
remember It's about Time?

"It's about time, it's
about space, it's about the start of the human race." It was only on
for one season in the '60s. Even as a kid, I thought it was a kinda
corny show.

Yes I was probably 8 years old when it was on, I think it was one of my
first (non cartoon) favorites. Reading up on it now on google it came from Sherwood Schwartz of Gilligan's Island fame (also The Brady Bunch and others) I think it must have came out just before Gilligans Island and shared a lot of similarities in the style of comedy. I think Gilligan's Island was probably one of my favorites as a kid.