RF-3 II Safe to use with low impedance

Silvos

I just bought a pair of RF-3 an RC-3 and a sub for 375.00, good deal?.... When I connected them to my Sony receiver, they did not sound what I anticipated. I have one those home theater in box kits DAV-HDX576WF. I checked the specs and its rated at 143 watts per channel at 3 ohms. I also have a Pioneer A-35R which is rated 60 watts* per channel, min., at 4 ohms. Huge, Huge, Huge difference using the Pioneer A-35R the speakers really come alive.

< br />

The Pioneer A-35R also says this:

Speaker Impedance

When speaker systems are connected to only SPEAKERS A

or SPEAKERS B terminals, such speakers should have rated

impedance in the range of 416 ohms.

When speaker are connected to both A and B terminals, they

should have a rated impedance in the range of 8 32 ohms.

< br />

I have several questions:

< br />

-Can I damage the RF-3's using the sony amp at 3ohms?

< br />

-Whats the minimum ohm rating for the RF-3s; for that matter is there a minimum or a maximum?

< br />

-When I connected the speakers to the Pioneer I used the B terminals. I'm shy about running wires to both A and B posts and then connecting the speakers to those wires. Is this how I would get 8-32ohms? Or would I simply use the A terminals and then have both A and B switches turned on, on the font of the unit? Is the connection done internally or externally? Should I even connect the RF-3s to use 8-32 ohms?

< br />

I'm kinda confused about the ohms. I checked the spec sheet on the RF-3 and it does not give the minimum impedance values

I just bought a pair of RF-3 an RC-3 and a sub for 375.00, good deal?.... When I connected them to my Sony receiver, they did not sound what I anticipated. I have one those home theater in box kits DAV-HDX576WF. I checked the specs and its rated at 143 watts per channel at 3 ohms. I also have a Pioneer A-35R which is rated 60 watts* per channel, min., at 4 ohms. Huge, Huge, Huge difference using the Pioneer A-35R the speakers really come alive.

The "theater in a box" was most likely WAAAAAY overstating it's output. Also, they stated it's output into THREE OHMS!! I've never heard of any amplifier maker stating it's output into 3 ohms; that's just WEIRD.

All speakers have an impedance rating, which is the amount of resistance they present to the amplifier. Higher numbers equal more resistance & result in less power available from the amp. Amplifiers have a minimum impedance they will drive as the lower the impedance, the more current which is required from the amp to drive said speakers.

The Pioneer A-35R also says this:
Speaker Impedance
When speaker systems are connected to only SPEAKERS A
or SPEAKERS B terminals, such speakers should have rated
impedance in the range of 4–16 ohms.
When speaker are connected to both A and B terminals, they
should have a rated impedance in the range of 8 –32 ohms.
If you were to connect 2 pair of speakers rated at 4 ohms impedance, you'd be presenting a 2 ohm load to the amp, which it isn't designed to drive.

I have several questions:

-Can I damage the RF-3's using the sony amp at 3ohms? If the Pioneer is rated 60 watts into 4 ohms, that means it ouputs probably 45 watts or less into 8 ohms. So this isn't really a valid question.

-Whats the minimum ohm rating for the RF-3s; for that matter is there a minimum or a maximum?
I'm pretty certain your RF-3s are 8 ohm speakers. You don't have
nearly enough amp to bring out the best in your speakers
. The impedance of speakers varies over the range of audible frequencies. A speaker rated 8 ohms can dip or rise to many time above or below that rating depending on the frequency. Manufacturers take a "nominal" rating that is average over the audible spectrum.

-When I connected the speakers to the Pioneer I used the B terminals. I'm shy about running wires to both A and B posts and then connecting the speakers to those wires. Is this how I would get 8-32ohms? Or would I simply use the A terminals and then have both A and B switches turned on, on the font of the unit? Is the connection done internally or externally? Should I even connect the RF-3s to use 8-32 ohms?
You only have ONE pair of speakers, right? It's entirely superfluous to connect them to both A & B outputs; won't change a thing--connecting to either presents the same load to the amp. If you had TWO pair of 8 ohm speakers, that would reduce your total impedance to 4 ohms, which is why they state don't use speakers less than 8 ohms if you are using two pair.

I'm kinda confused about the ohms. I checked the spec sheet on the RF-3 and it does not give the minimum impedance values. Like I said, I'm pretty certain they are 8 ohms nominal, as that's what most of the Klipsch line are.

I hope I've explained this in such a way you can understand. There are a lot of electronic elements at play here which you obviously don't understand. Hopefully we can educate you in what you need (or want) to know~

Thanks for the reply!

Well the manual for the Sony DAV-HDX576WF states in the specification section that its 3 ohms. Also the stickers on the back of the Sony speakers say 3 ohms.

-Can I damage the RF-3's using the sony amp at 3ohms? If the Pioneer is rated 60 watts into 4 ohms, that means it ouputs probably 45 watts or less into 8 ohms. So this isn't really a valid question.Assuming this is true could I hurt the RF-3 by using them with this Sony receiver?

So If I use the Sony receiver with the RF-3 and the Sony is outputting 3 ohms could this hurt the RF-3's?

-When I connected the speakers to the Pioneer I used the B terminals. I'm shy about running wires to both A and B posts and then connecting the speakers to those wires. Is this how I would get 8-32ohms? Or would I simply use the A terminals and then have both A and B switches turned on, on the font of the unit? Is the connection done internally or externally? Should I even connect the RF-3s to use 8-32 ohms? You only have ONE pair of speakers, right? It's entirely superfluous to connect them to both A & B outputs; won't change a thing--connecting to either presents the same load to the amp. If you had TWO pair of 8 ohm speakers, that would reduce your total impedance to 4 ohms, which is why they state don't use speakers less than 8 ohms if you are using two pair.

Correct I only have one pair. The Pioneer manual says that I could give 8-32 ohms if I connected to both A and B terminals. Its unclear how I should use both A and B terminals. On Amps that support this do they do the switching internally? Meaning to get 8-32 ohms I would wire to just the A Posts on the amp but have Both A and B switches turned on, on the Amp?

Thanks for the reply!

Well the manual for the Sony DAV-HDX576WF states in the specification section that its 3 ohms. Also the stickers on the back of the Sony speakers say 3 ohms. -Can I damage the RF-3's using the sony amp at 3ohms? If the Pioneer is rated 60 watts into 4 ohms, that means it ouputs probably 45 watts or less into 8 ohms. So this isn't really a valid question.Assuming this is true could I hurt the RF-3 by using them with this Sony receiver?

Not likely, it's just underpowered...so it will run out of steam very quickly.

So If I use the Sony receiver with the RF-3 and the Sony is outputting 3 ohms could this hurt the RF-3's? An amp doesn't "output" 3 ohms. The ohm rating is the resistance of the speakers, only. Again, it's just underpowered. An amps output in watts rises as the impedance/resistance of the speaker goes down, but each amp has a minimum resistance it will safely drive (varies but low resistance loads usually can't be driven except by more expensive/higher quality amplifiers).

-When I connected the speakers to the Pioneer I used the B terminals. I'm shy about running wires to both A and B posts and then connecting the speakers to those wires. Is this how I would get 8-32ohms? Or would I simply use the A terminals and then have both A and B switches turned on, on the font of the unit?

Yes, just use the A terminals if you're only using one pair of speakers. YHowever, you could use EITHER A or B, makes no difference.

Is the connection done internally or externally? Should I even connect the RF-3s to use 8-32 ohms? You only have ONE pair of speakers, right? It's entirely superfluous to connect them to both A & B outputs; won't change a thing--connecting to either presents the same load to the amp. If you had TWO pair of 8 ohm speakers, that would reduce your total impedance to 4 ohms, which is why they state don't use speakers less than 8 ohms if you are using two pair.

Correct I only have one pair. The Pioneer manual says that I could give 8-32 ohms if I connected to both A and B terminals. Its unclear how I should use both A and B terminals. On Amps that support this do they do the switching internally? Meaning to get 8-32 ohms I would wire to just the A Posts on the amp but have Both A and B switches turned on, on the Amp? The A/B is for two pair of speakers. Makes no difference which you use with one pair. The "8 to 32 ohms" thing simply means you can use speakers with any impedance between 8 & 32 ohms. Yours are 8.

TNRabbit - Thanks for answering my questions! You've cleared up the confusion I had regarding ohms, and the A/B switch. Even though you suggest It would not hurt to use the RF-3's on the Sony Amp, I've decided not too. They sound so much better on the Pioneer. So until I can get a proper Surround Amp I'm going to use the 2 channel A-35R.

Thanks again for the help.