Klipsch black paint (valspar)

jason str

It's lacquer and UPS/FEDEX/USPS may not accept it as it's hazardous material in many states. You would be better off if you find a Vlaspar/OPEX dealer and order a quart. besides it would be fresh, unopened, etc. Somewhere in my" mess-o-notes" I have the Valspar corporate number. Send me a PM and I'll send you the number and they can refer you to a dealer that will order it for you. They will NOT sell direct to consumer, and they will not sellthe lacquer by part number as it applies to Klipsch Audio Technology. That "part number" is proprietary to Klipsch. However... When I spoke with a technician a couple years ago, their#40 sheen semi-gloss lacquer primer, SSG, and clear is the same stuff, but with a commercial part number.

If this paint is indeed lacquer... there are two types in general use. There is nitrocellulose lacquer, hard but brittle, used on stuff like classic electric guitars. Then there is the acrylic lacquer, softer but less brittle, used mostly for automotive finishing.

If you can determine what type is used here you may be able to find some locally. Each type of lacquer is made essentially the same so that color/gloss matching is all that needs doing. The spray cans of clear lacquer for auto refinishing are easily available, and spray cans of nitrocellulose lacquer were available two years ago from musical refinishing places, if you don't need large quantities.

• 2 weeks later...