Best amp for RF7's ?

Rlbol

I can't say what would be the best sound but these amps have been known to power RF-7's very well. 200w 8 ohms/400w 4ohms. A high current amp that should have no problem with the RF-7's low impedences. No affiliation.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/1600635609.html

If that is a little steep for your pocket, I have a couple of Marantz monoblocks that just might work.

Bill

Guest davidness

What don't you like about the XPA-3?

Many here believe that the NOSValves VRD monoblock tube amps are among the best. I love my Bob Latino ST-120 tube amp, but haven't heard much else.

How are those marantz monoblocks?

I am going to keep the Emo but it will power the center and surrounds.

I have been thinking about a mcintosh? I looked at a 5 channel that was nice but I think I would like to keep the mains separate for 2ch audio

I have an XP-3 with my RF-7s and RC-7, but I guess if you wanted to go bigger and badder I would just get an XPA-2, I have heard they are a total moster compared to the XPA-3. If I had the need/cash to get an XPA-2 for my RF-7's I would. I dont think your gonna do any better for performance/price for your speakers.

Isn't Emotiva for those folks with a budget in mind. Kind of bang for the buck kind of thing. Seriously if your looking for the best I would wager to guess theres an endless sea of good equipment out there if you have no budget in mind be it tubes or ss.

VRD, Quicksilver,VTL,Manley, Audio Research,McIntosh,Conrad Johnson,Rogue Audio,Bat and Atmosphere just to name a few tube products.

Krell, Mark Levinson, McIntosh, Classe, Pass Labs, McCormack, Bat, Gamut, Audio Research and Jeff Rowland just to name a few ss products.

All of which can drive difficult loads like the RF-7s with ease.

The Emotiva amp I am happy with. but like everything I wanted to know if I could make the rf7 sound even better. I am still setting up everything so I am sure there are improvements that can be made with the room as well as the other components.

I am currently running an onkyo 705 for the rears and surrounds. with the XPA3 running the center and mains.

The speakers are rf7 mains rc7 center, rs7 surrounds and ksw15 sub the rear surrounds are ksf8.5's

It does sound very good but the onkyo is shutting down when i get it turned up. I guess its amp can keep up with the fronts.

I plan on going to full separates. I just didnt know what would be the biggest improvement.

I dont not find the rf7 harsh or anything but would like to make them even better for 2ch audio as well as theater.

I do plan on upgrading the crossovers as well.

I am currently running an onkyo 705 for the rears and surrounds

It does sound very good but the onkyo is shutting down when i get it turned up. I guess its amp can keep up with the fronts.

What rears are you running with you RF-7 system? Your Onkyo 705 should not have any issues running just your RS-7's and your back speakers, unless you are really cranking it up on all channel stereo for extended periods of time. My 705 never skipped a beat before I added my B&K to run my RF-63's and RC-64.

Bill

I am running ksf 8.5's as the rears and rs7 as the side surround.

I am also surprised it only happens when watching movies turned up.

It is not hot just shuts down. I restart it and everything is fine.

I do plan on changing the soon so I am just living with it for now. onkyo

If I crank it up on bass heavy music the woofers on the RF-7 will bottom out with the XPA-2 running them as full range speakers not using a sub. The first time they did it was when watching Master and Commander during the first fight scene. The woofers sounded like firecrackers they were popping so bad. I had the bass turned up a little and had the speakers set to large with no sub. I didnt make that mistake again. With bass heavy hip hop it has happened a few times as well.

If I crank it up on bass heavy music the woofers on the RF-7 will bottom out with the XPA-2 running them as full range speakers not using a sub. The first time they did it was when watching Master and Commander during the first fight scene. The woofers sounded like firecrackers they were popping so bad. I had the bass turned up a little and had the speakers set to large with no sub. I didnt make that mistake again. With bass heavy hip hop it has happened a few times as well.

Its not the speakers . You could run a 1,000 watt amp on those speakers would be my bet.

Your Emotiva is running out of gas and clipping something terrible when you here your speakers pop.

500 watts/channel on a Chorus II with the bass on the preamp anywhere you want it and it just pounds you. Hip hop or anything else you want to throw at them.

I would imagine the RF-7s can take the same with no problem.