VRD KT88 Tubes

mowntnbkr

I have had my VRD's now for close to 5 years, maybe a bit more I'm not sure. I have run the stock Valve Arts that Craig puts in them and then a quad of Genalex gold lion kt88's, reissue of course. So for you VRD guys out there, do you have a favorite tube other than these 2? Even if you don't have VRD's feel free to chime in.

Try some KT90/99.

They should be a drop fit but Craig should be able to tell you for sure.

Edit: checked Craig's website ~ KT90 are listed as compatible. I think you'll get a more robust sound & higher power output in both triode and ultralinear.

I just can't get my wallet to pony up for real Tung-Sols. I would love to have some, but in order for me to be comfy running them, I would want 10-12 reasonably matched in stock, so I could sleep at night and use them without sweating a premature failure/wearing out/power problem that would take out a tube.

As such, I prefer to stick with more recent production. Two "recents" I like are the Valve Art KT100 (have matched set of 20), and especially the Penta KT88SC (have matched set of 24 plus a couple quads)....two stout Shuguang offerings that are amongst the better offered by Shuguang.

The Penta is my favorite in recent production, preferred here over the KT88-98 and standard VA KT88, as well as preferred over the GL KT88 reissue. The Pentas are very smooth and detailed - a very good combination in recent production.

The front end tubes brought the biggest improvements, though, preferring Amperex/Philips 12AX7/12AU7....the early versions of these tubes are PHENOMENAL in VRDs, elevating these amps to a class even higher than I thought they were capable of. They are dammmmmmmed impressive with stock tubes, but the Amperexes up front really bring out the best in these, IMO.

As such, I prefer to stick with more recent production. Two "recents" I like are the Valve Art KT100 (have matched set of 20), and especially the Penta KT88SC (have matched set of 24 plus a couple quads)....two stout Shuguang offerings that are amongst the better offered by Shuguang.

The Penta is my favorite in recent production, preferred here over the KT88-98 and standard VA KT88, as well as preferred over the GL KT88 reissue. The Pentas are very smooth and detailed - a very good combination in recent production.

I'm pretty sure KT100, are actually KT90 ~ in matched pairs ~ the same for KT99.

If you are referring to "Penta" as in Penta Labs, then this is your source for KT90. IMHO Penta has some good stuff. I have a bunch of KT99 and 8045G I bought from them.

The Valve Art KT100 is actually a KT88 that the factory put a little more into (primarily metallurgy). Visually, it is a spitting image of a Valve Art KT88 with 3 hole plate and side getter (or KT88-98) but acts much more stable in an amp. These tubes were very stable right out of the box (in contrast to the KT88-98 and KT88 top getter only types), and exhibited NO blue glow (nice tight vacuum). The only other Shug KT88 that acts like this one is the Penta, again very stable out of the box, no gassy glow, and a really good sounding tube. Definitely similar to other Shuguang KT88 (it has the family sound) but has a smoother top to my ears and as Gary mentioned a bit more authoritative bass.

The KT90 I'm familiar with (haven't used it, though) would be the EI with the more slender straight sided bottle, and the VA KT100 bears no resemblance to that particular KT90. But the tube companies/resellers toss around these numbers as if to insinuate that a KT100 is "better", so there are several KT90/100 and similar "higher numbered" nomenclatured tubes that are really more like KT88 out there that can make this a bit confusing, then a KT90 that is a different tube from a KT88 but compatible/similar (such as the EI).

Haven't seen the Penta KT90...wonder what that tube's all about....

I do. The Tung-Sol 6550A Coke Bottles. Ridiculously rugged and long lasting and a very smooth top end. Haven't had any recently, they may be tough to find.

preamp amp tubes make the Biggest Sonic change

Craig uses PentaSCs from an affordability factor as he runs his amps for long periods working in his shop. If money was no issue he'd use Tung Sol 6550 Black Plates per our conversation.

if money is no issue then by far the Tung Sol 6550 Black Plates, original Genalex KT88s or G.E.C. KT88s of which i own quads of each...i prefer the Tung Sols only because they sound richer...i've played other power tubes since listening to the Tung Sols and believe me they are all they are cracked up to be...they are followed pretty closely by the GE 6550As which I sold over 40 a few months ago and they were snatched up in 5 days so those in the know, know... i am selling 2 more quads of NOS Tung Sol 6550 Black Plates while they last...i really liked the reissue Gold Lions but have heard some really good things about the Penta Labs SC (make sure they are the SC).....below is a competition i read in a hifi magazine which i concur with mostly except that the GE's should be 3rd on the list

VTV 6550/KT88 Shoot Out for Hi-Fi

Genalex KT88 Gold Lion 1969 - 4.87

Tung-Sol 6550 1957 Black Plate - 4.77

JJ KT88 2002 - 4.63

Ei KT90 1999 - 4.52

EH KT88 Reflektor 2002 - 4.16

Sveltana 6550 2001 - 4.13

Svetlana SVKT88 2002 - 4.09

Svetlana SV6550C Reflektor 2002 - 3.98

Philips Sylvania 1970s - 3.98

Chinese 6550 Valve Art 2002 - 3.89

GE 6550A 1970s - 3.78