Cell Phone sound quality

colterphoto1

I'm on AT&T (please don't suggest changing carriers), with old dinosaur of Nokia that worked well in it's day but it's getting too much dust in it and is scratchy.

Got a Samsung Flight today and although the features are nice, the sound quality SUCKS!

I need a phone, I can wait until I get home to use the computer, I have a real camera and iPod for music. The sound quality must be reasonable. Anyone here have any luck or have phones gone the way of 'digital everything' where features are foremost and quality takes a back seat?

Spending two hours today reading reviews it looks like the LG CU400 might be better quality, but with possibly iffy battery life.

Does ANYONE MAKE A GOOD CELL PHONE????

Michael

Michael,

I am NOT a cell phone person at all...but my wife and daughter are for sure. My wife had an LG flip phone that finally broke at the hinge. I hated that thing because of the sound quality. All you ever hear people saying is: what? Huh? What did you say?

Anyway..my daughter gave my wife her "old" phone which sounds really great! It's an LG ENV2. Very clear, even to my old ears. Pretty fancy, lots of extras too.. My daughter is about to get an LG ENV3. That one is supposed to be fantastic.

These kinds of phones look very confusing to me...check them out Michael. I have an OLD cell phone that is on only when I'm hunting/fishing, or just ridin around in the desert or woods...

Take care

Mike

With the way you travel around, I would think an iphone would suit you. The functional apps for this thing are amazing. It's a little computer. I know you said that's not what you're looking for but if it's out there why not.[:D]

For a simple little phone I liked a Samsung flip. I've seen them on ebay for $25. I liked it better than the Motorola Razor.

With the way you travel around, I would think an iphone would suit you. The functional apps for this thing are amazing. It's a little computer. I know you said that's not what you're looking for but if it's out there why not.Big Smile

For a simple little phone I liked a Samsung flip. I've seen them on ebay for $25. I liked it better than the Motorola Razor.

Debating on the whole 'pocket computer' thing. As it is, with most QWERTY phones (those with fullkeypads), in order to get the rebate on the phone, you have to sign up for the unlimited text package for extra $15. If the full data packages include this and are only $20 or $30 per month, it pays to go all the way. If I end up with that data package I'll probably get the iPhone (although it has less pickup range than other phones). I love my Macs and think that the ability to have my photos with me would ba advantageous. PLUS I'd be able to get the Klipsch Image headphones with mic X10i, for a perfect setup. Problem is that then I'm out what an additional $500 plus the $30 per month.

Ouch, that's a giant step backwards from having my home phone disconnected, which is what started this whole mess.

I am going to re-up our phones with Verizon next week I get a big discount because of who I work for. I rarely use a cell phone so my wife get's the premiere phone and I usually get the secondary one in the offer. Anyway I have an LG EnV2 that you can have if you want it. I'll keep you posted. I have had good luck with it. I rarely text but even with my big fingers I can use the keyboard on it, I cannot use a phone without one to reply to a text it is too much of a pain. It even sounds good I have a 2GB micro-SD card in it that I put into a standard SD holder and drag and drop tunes to from my PC.

Problem is that then I'm out what an additional $500

Surely you're eligible for an ATT upgrade which cuts the phone cost to $99 or $199; I forget. That would mean a new contract though if that matters to you.

plus the $30 per month.

No way around that I know of.

I don't text or play games but the other stuff it is capable of is very efficeint when a computer isn't nearby. Have you looked at all the available apps to see what might appeal to you?

btw, I wouldn't have a landline either if it wasn't for internet.

The iPhone 3GS has more pickup range than any other phone I have (Blackberry 8100, Motorolla KRZR, Nokia N85, Nokia N90, Treo 270) with a GSM carrier.

If I end up with that data package I'll probably get the iPhone (although it has less pickup range than other phones).

Quite on the contrary! I don't know about other people but AT&T customer service has been better then Verizon customer service 1000% for me since I started doing business with them 6 months ago. The only reason I am still keeping Verizon is due to the number of cell towers they have. Verizon customer service is the worst in my book. All they want is your money and is unwilling to do anything without a fee!

AT&T: the only phone company you cannot reach by phone.

Customer service second only to DirecTV in it's awfulness.

Company should be taken out and shot.

James

I'm taking this Samsung back today and reverting back to my old phone. I can get replacement Nokia 6010's on eBay all day long and apparently it's one of the best sounding basic phones ever devised.

ATT better not give me any shite either. I've been a dream customer, not taking them up on their new phone's for over 9 years. In the 6 years since I've been back in the city I've spent over $10,000 with that company. It took them a MONTH to get my internet connected when I moved here, and just last month they took a WEEK to reconnect internet after I had the home phone terminated. Three strikes and you're OUT baby!. Only I don't know what I'd do for home internet if I outed Ma Bell's rich kid.

Lilly Tomlin (as the phone operator) was right 'We're the phone company, we don't care, we don't have to' [:@][8o|]

Michael,

One thing you need to check before you totally give up your Phone. The Model (which I love) that you want to go back to, is sometimes called a Coffin Phone. I wonder with the change in Technology, weather this phone will still work with the change in Technology...........

I ask, cause I love those small , but easy to use phones.................

Hope this makes sense.

Remember that the old phone company didn't need customer support because the stuff they made was so reliable it never broke. What company do you know who would test an electronic phone exchange for 10 years before it was determined reliable? Who invented a mechanical relay that would last for 20 years with a 1.5 times contact bounce? Who invented tubes that would last for 20 years at 24/7 operation? Who invented transisters that could be placed in a circuit either way and still work to design specs? Their equipment packing crate lumber specs could not be met today with the junk the lumber companies sell. The solid oak ladders on wheels today would probably cost more than a Cadillac. When removing their old equipment it had to be destroyed on site by order of Congress.They manufactured the best most reliable equipment ever---I worked with it.

JJK

Is AT&T letting you have dsl internet without having basic phone service?

some telcos will actually do this...it is called "dry loop" DSL. Back in the day we had GTE, in part of our area...was bought by Verizon...Verizon would allow dry-loop connections to customers in the former GTE areas. I did this for about 2 years, then the cable upstream speads caught up and I went with cable...it was fun for awhile to have a DSL upstream and a cable downstream.

Arky, yes but it's a nightmare. When I dropped my land line, the transition was to be seamless. As it turned out, they knocked out my DSL too and it took over a week, several hours of my $$ cell time with tech support and waiting around for two days for a truck to show up to get the DSL running again.

They have to set up a new number for the 'dry line'.

Just got my first bill which was to be for $25 and included (bundled ) with my cell phone bill. It includes some sort of penalty fee of $10 a month (which was agreed would not be there since I am keeping ATT cell service), and is a separate bill.

I took the Samsung back today for a full refund. I'm back on my 9 year old Nokia which sounds better.

At this point I have no contract. If I could find an alternative to ATT I'd move everything.

Did I mention that when I moved to Indy, it took ATT a MONTH to get my DSL up and running in the first place? - IDIOTS!

M