Blues artists

ellisfsu

while enjoying my modest klipsch/denon setup, i always find that regardless of what CD i start with i usually end up jamming to contemporary blues recordings. it almost seems as if you can feel the guitar plucks more than you can hear them. if anyone else enjoys this type of music, i suggest Tab Benoit and Johnny Lang as must buys. also, ZZ Tops's One Foot in The Blues album is worth a listen. Anyone else got recommendations in this genre?

Where to start with the blues. One of my current favorites is the Ike Turner "Here and Now". There is also Lucky Peterson who was brought up in Blues clubs around the states. Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown does some big band blues in "Gate's Swings". Popa Chubby is a good blues guitarist. Luther Allison has a blues DVD that kicks some serious butt. Johnny Copeland, Robert Cray, and Albert Collins did a great collaboration CD. Too many great artists to list but if you want more names, let me know.

Well Huhuru I dont know if ashamed is the right word. I think Flason makes a good point though when he said theres just too many great artists to list. I think the word contemporary may have thrown some of us blues lovers off the track. I have some of ZZ Tops albums and Johnny Lang and Eric Clapton. Are these the artists we are talking about? I have a little music from T-Bone Walker, Junior Wells, Buddy Guy, Sonny Boy Williamson, and dont forget about these BIG BOYS Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf , and the great Elmore James. Then there are the Kings of blues ,Albert, Freddie and B.B.. The list could go on forever. I like some of the recordings of performers that you can see play live today like Koko Taylor, Dr. John, Johnny Winter and my favorite, the King of the Singin String, Otis Rush. Stevie Ray Vaughns band was named after his song Double Trouble. To use one of the song titles of the great harmonica player Little Walter ,we could go Off the Wall in a long discussion about blues artists. So be it if anyone wants to join in. Have fun.

Hey guys. Check out these two cds. Alligator Records 20th anniversary collection & their 25th anniversary collection. These have songs by some of the artist you have mentioned plus many more. Both cds are double discs, and I believe all songs were recorded in the 70s thru 90s. Good stuff.

Jethro......

------------------

Yeah! ZZ Top's One Foot In The Blues is a cool CD. I can still remember the first time I heard Brown Sugar from their first LP. Buddy Guy (old stuff & new Stuff)is a must. There are alot of players who have copped a few of his licks. If you like slide guitar you might want to check out George Thorogood. Blues - I love the old & the new. Today I was listening to the 2 CD Bobby Blue Bland "Anthology". I started getting into his music years ago when I saw him warm up for B.B. King. Speaking of Muddy Waters - I was fortunate enough to see him perform years ago (OK so I'm an old fart)at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, PA. It was billed as An Evening of Blues with Muddy Waters, James Cotton & Johnny Winter. Muddy was great on guitar as Cotton was on harp. Winter on this particular night got away from his high powered blues rock style & was playing some really cool, laid back slide guitar. Just fantastic. What a night.

------------------

Lew

Not Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll

ellisfsu,

Since you are obviously a Nole fan like myself, I just have to offer you a different alt. blues tip.

G LOVE & SPECIAL SAUCE

Three piece (guitar, stand-up bass, & a very simple drum kit) group that performs blues w/ a sort of funky Hip Hop feel. Not your traditional blues outfit by a longstrech, but very cool. Currently one of there first songs "I Like Cold Beverages" is being used for a Coors Light commercial...Great Tune! I recommend their self titled debut as it is by far my favorite of the three CD's of their's that I own.

Dave

GO NOLES!

Dave- Always great to talk to a noles fan. i am currently finishing up my final requirements for my masters at fsu. it is a great dang school. Great call with g love and special sauce. there is a certain cult following for them here in tally. thanks everybody for their input on this thread.....i will attempt to widen both my knowledge and my collection based on the reccomendations y'all made. have a good one!

Please check out Jimmy Rogers "Blue Bird". Very nice recording.

- tb

------------------

-----------------------------

Two Channel System(s)

Phono - None now. Looking

CD Player - Pioneer DV-414 (will be replacing with Rega Planet)

AMP(s) - ASL Wave 8's - Stock, EICO HF-81, McIntosh 2205

Pre-AMP - McIntosh C-28

Speaker(s) - Klipsch 1.2s, Kg4s

Tube Headphone AMP - ASL MG Head OTL ( 5751 -> EL-84 )

HeadPhones - Sennheiser HD-600 & Sennheiser HD-580

Home Theater

Toshiba 57HX81,

Yamaha 5790

Panasonic RP-91 DVD

Toshiba DST-3000

Klipsch kg4 Fronts/Klipsch Academy Center/Klipsch kg2 Rears

Blues:

Robert Cray - I Was Warned(excellent style!!!)/Strong Persuader/Midnight Stroll/Bad Influence (and any others)

Taj Mahal - Phantom Blues

Smokin' Joe Kubek - Cryin' for the Moon (great licks)/Texas Cadillac/Chain Smokin' Texas Style

The Kinsey Report - Edge of the City/Midnight Drive (some tough hombres)

Buddy Guy - Damn Right I've Got The Blues/Buddy's Blues

Albert King - I'll Play The Blues For You

Luther Allison - Reckless

Roy Buchanan - all

Stevie Ray Vaughan - all

The Memphis Horns

Jazz:

Spyro Gyra - dreams beyond control (great jazz and excellent recording!!!) and all others

Rick Braun

Lee Rintnour - wes bound (excellent transcriptions of Wes Montgomery stuff!!!)

The Rippingtons - all (great jazz!!!)

Others:

Craig Chaquico - all

Cherry Poppin' Daddies - Zoot Suit Riot (fantastic swing!!!) and others

------------------

=====================================

You can tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish!

=====================================

I'll add a few good blues artists that should be given a listen to : Ronnie Earl

Omar and the Howlers

John Hammond

I'll mention a few every once in a while when I cruise the boards. I would'nt want to bore everyone with long lists of great musicians. Have Fun.