Trachorns in the House

deafbykhorns

Good grief Mike. I thought the post I quoted was funny, I didn't say the whole exchange was funny. People are wound waaay too tight around here.

Al might get a bit obnoxious at times, but that doesn't invalidate all of his points -- and I happen to agree with several of them (and so do some others who have either heard or tried the driver).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief Mike. I thought the post I quoted was funny, I didn't say the whole exchange was funny. People are wound waaay too tight around here.

Al might get a bit obnoxious at times, but that doesn't invalidate all of his points -- and I happen to agree with several of them (and so do some others who have either heard or tried the driver).

Dean I don't think people being wound up way to tight is the problem but instead a lack of basic respect in the attitudes shown by what people are saying in postings that I doubt they would express in the same manner if it was done in person.

Being funny and being a smarta$$ are two different things and I don't think AL was trying to be funny.

And who said AL's points were invalidated? If you read what I posted again:

I believe AL-K and Johnny 5 both had very relevant points but once again AL is playing the victim of something that he started with a condensending attitude toward Johnny 5 who up until this point had been respectfully trying to offer IMHO a valid and different opinion.

Obviously efficiency isn't everything when it comes to driver selection but it is an important consideration all things being equal especially as it relates to distortion.

mike tn

BTW, John (DeafbyKhorns), congrats on your Trachorns. I ran Trachorns for awhile with the stock Klipsch midrange drivers, and can appreciate your excitement. I currently run both one inch and two inch drivers in my system, and I still love my original Trachorn 400s (paired up with Altec 902s). They appear effortless and can still handle high spls, despite their one-inch size.

So......regardless of all the talk about two inch drivers (and throats) - since they are all the current rage, enjoy your Trachorns. I am.

Carl.

Carl

Are the Altec 902's similar to the Great Plains 902-16 drivers? The throat diameter is a true 1" throat unlike the K55 and bolts up to the trachorn. The recommended cutoff is at 500hz so I suspect these are not for SPL junkies. Are the diaphrams in the vintage drivers aluminum or phenolic?

I believe the 2" drivers would be more suited for the Jubilee (if I required the SPL's) and would be overkill for my listening. But I do enjoy reading the 2" DIY projects guys are doing in the garage!!

No doubt. This forum doesn't have any bite left, and now it's like all the other forums -- BORING.

After more than 17k posts, it's no wonder you are bored. Just like listening to Rush Limbaugh... you go away for six months and listen in again and it's the same thing... over and over again. Just like a bad soap opera.[8-)]

Carl

Are the Altec 902's similar to the Great Plains 902-16 drivers? The throat diameter is a true 1" throat unlike the K55 and bolts up to the trachorn. The recommended cutoff is at 500hz so I suspect these are not for SPL junkies. Are the diaphrams in the vintage drivers aluminum or phenolic?

I believe the 2" drivers would be more suited for the Jubilee (if I required the SPL's) and would be overkill for my listening. But I do enjoy reading the 2" DIY projects guys are doing in the garage!!

GPA owns the old Altec tooling, so they should be very similar. That said, I wasn't able to cross my GPA's down at 500Hz, can't remember if I was using a 1st or second order filter. I believe Bill and Steve recommend a higher crossover point for those drivers. Other here have had good luck crossing the Altec 902's at 500Hz. Both have aluminum diaphragms in their original form, and have true 1" throats.

John,

I'm in Orlando. If you want to hear Khorns with Greg's V-Tracs and the BMS driver I would be happy to demo mine for you. There is a lot of talk here about specs, efficiency, overkill, not fit for a home, etc. All I gotta say about that is let your ears decide. Yes, those horns have to be attenuated quite a bit, but they sound better than any other pair of khorns I have ever heard. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Mike