New here

Badassbob

Just wanted to introduce myself. I didnt see an area for introductions, so I thought Id post here since Im a stereo guy. I live in suburban Detroit and have lurked around quite a bit....thought Id register and join the madness :D. My main system is a pair of Forte Is with the full Crites bag of goodies, a 6B4G SET, and a Squeezebox Duet that I use to stream lossless audio. Ive been a Klipsch fan for quite awhile.

• Moderators

Welcome and if you have lurked you know about how things work around here already. Glad you signed up....now how much you wanted to spend and how big is that room ? [:|] [:o] [;)]

You know we like to help spend others money. [:P]

I just dropped a little coin over the past couple weeks lol. I built my first amp, the Get*SET*Go, using James OPTs, K40Y-9s, and NOS Sylvy 6SL7GT driving a pair of Sovtek 6B4Gs. Its the one in my avatar. I have since replaced the green switch with a dimmer red switch.

Welcome! Nice looking build and everyone around here loves a good build story so tell us, how did the build progress, pictures would be nice, what kind of money did you tie up in the project, what was your experience prior to the build, and ultimatly, how does it compare against other equipment you've owned or listened to?

Heres some pics I took during the progress of the amp.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was with the base I made...Im not a very good woodworker.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the one my friend made, all oak. I hit it with a couple coats of stain and some Feed N Wax. It almost matches my Oiled Oak Fortes.

Posted Image

Ive owned the speakers now for 2 years. My first forray with Klipsch was with their computer speakers. Ive only been into the hifi hobby for about 5 years, having owned various Klipsch bookshelf models, Paradigm Titan Monitors, New Large Advents, and other larger bookshelf speakers. As far as amps, Ive owned a vintage Kenwood KR9400, a few Chinese tube amps, Adcom, and NAD. This is my only tube amp as of now. I sold my Yaqin MC-10L yesterday. The amp you see above didnt set me back too much. Over at DIY Tube they have a whole writeup about this amp. I only have ~$600 into it, and it sounds by far better than anything else Ive owned. Its my very first SET, and I can only imagine what something better sounds like. I didnt have much electronics experience, save for soldering. With the build manual at DIY Tube, it went rather flawless. The building experience was awesome. I think Im going to roll my own amps from here on out! I run a 3TB music/movie server at my house. Its all tied together by 3 Squeezebox Duets and 3 softmodded Xboxes. All of my music is in FLAC format, and all of my DVDs are 1:1 rips with full menus intact. Im a sucker for convenience.

Nice pics! I've been wanting to build a tube amp for a while, but having never done anything like that, I am a little hesitant, but I can solder and follow directions. I've also got a media server on the list too, and since you seem like you're already heavily into that game I'll ask you this; are you set up to use the server as a DVR that can record and store HD format from the line right to the hard drives? I've bee looking and only been able to find one piece of gear from Hauppauge that claims to do it.

It wasnt too hard to build the amp...for a first time project, it came out excellent IMO. Currently, Im not using my media server as a DVR, but may do so in the future. All of my machines are some form of Linux, and generally it can take a little bit to get driver support on newer TV cards. Right now, Im running 2x 500GB RAID 1 arrays and 2x 1TB non-RAID on Ubuntu Server 8.04.

Another fan of Linux and a PC enthusiast.

All of my machines are some form of Linux, and generally it can take a little bit to get driver support on newer TV cards. Right now, Im running 2x 500GB RAID 1 arrays and 2x 1TB non-RAID on Ubuntu Server 8.04.

I just dropped a little coin over the past couple weeks lol. I built my first amp, the Get*SET*Go, using James OPTs, K40Y-9s, and NOS Sylvy 6SL7GT driving a pair of Sovtek 6B4Gs. Its the one in my avatar. I have since replaced the green switch with a dimmer red switch.

Nice amp! Shannon designs some very cool amps and the boards are really well done.

Welcome to the forums.

Bruce