Why does it sound so bad?

MaynardF

I recently picked up a Scott 299 and sent it to Craig at NOS for a rebuild. As things typically go, my Yamaha CR1020 that I was using to power my newly acquired Cornwalls just took a dump. Not wanting to be without music while I waited for the 299 to return, I pulled my Yamaha RX-V800 from HT duty and hooked it up to the Cornwalls. What a difference! The highs bother my ears, the sound stage is diminished, has less bass; the only redeeming factor is it has a remote. I know I purchased the CR1020 in 1978, but can't remember when I got the RX-V800, but it must have been at least 20 years later. What happened during that time? This will be a very long wait for the 299 to come back home!

I was at a get together recently where someone informed me that they were getting a receiver with 10-11 (can't remember, drinking was involved) channels of crap!

Could this be true? How much more crap can we handle? That's a lotta crap. [:o]

See if there isn't a menu setting for fronts only and/or no center. Also, turn off any sound processing settings that it may have. I have an older JVC (5.1)that has these options and SEA settings that can make it sound like a Music hall or Theater etc. These can really make things sound like crap!

Hey your last name wouldn't be Furguson would it ?!?

I believe its something called, wait a minute, I think I remember, oh yeh. "PROGRESS" That's it. It's called Progress.

More channels = more crap = Progress.

[Y]

See if there isn't a menu setting for fronts only and/or no center. Also, turn off any sound processing settings that it may have. I have an older JVC (5.1)that has these options and SEA settings that can make it sound like a Music hall or Theater etc. These can really make things sound like crap!

Hey your last name wouldn't be Furguson would it ?!?

I set it to two channel and selected "no effect" which turns off all processing. I have figured out the best thing is to chose the worst sounding CD's and LP's and play them with the volume turned down; the opposite of what I normally do...

Yeah, I guess that's the answer; but on the RX-V800 there's only FIVE channels of crap!

OK, I didn't look it up. It may have 5 amps but if it's a 5.1 system it has a sub out so that makes 6 channels. Let's split the difference and say 6.

Thanx, Russ

My brother bought a Yamaha R-2000 receiver in 1979 when he was stationed in Japan. For the last 20 years or so I've seen it sitting in his entertainment center unused, much of that time not even hooked up. I'd be a pain in the neck and plug it in and listen to it - It sounded good with his 15" woofer speakers (Technics I think). Really cool retro gear. I kept telling him that I would take the receiver off his hands and buy him a new receiver to replace it, and he finally took me up on it. We went to best buy and bought a $250 2-channel receiver, took it home and plugged it in. Hit play and I thought oh crap, he's gonna want his Yamaha back. He said it was fine and laughed at me for thinking he would care, probably wonders why I would swap a brandy new one with a remote for that old thing. The difference between the 2 receivers is absolutely night and day.