KLF-20s How to get them to sing

amusingisthedawn

With my equiptment I have now, what can I add as far as an amp to get the most out of the KLF-20s? I won't be separating HT from 2Ch anytime soon, so if I could get something that would work on both ends, that would be great. Maybe use the Denon as a Preamp?

I love they way the KLFs play when you have the volume cranked way the hell up, but it also hurts your ears... Is there a way to get that power and solid bass from them without having the volume at brainbreaking volumes?

Weeelllllllllll...................

This one was just screamin' my name. :) What I did with mine was:Bob Crites' crossovers and titanium tweeter diaphragms (pretty much what you did already), rewired the interior with 12 ga. speaker cable and bi-wired them to a McIntosh MC252 with MIT Terminator2 speaker cables (along with a C46 preamp, MVP871 CD/DVD player and a dbx1231 eq).ALSO!! I put a piece of felt between the midrange driver and its supporting shelf inside. If you pound your fist on the top of the cab it'll probably rattle.

That pretty much did the trick.

Well...in my profile you will see I have already updated the tweeter diaphragms and the crossover networks. I tried bi-wiring and went back to single wire after reading a thread (i'll link it later when I get home)...basically, if ANYTHING, bi-wiring causes more noise than single wiring.

I was more asking as far as power sources, and it appears you use a preamp and an eq. I'm not getting rid of the 2808 anytime soon, so...any other suggestions? [:D]

Check ALL interior & exterior connections & ensure you don't have something out of phase (+ & -)

What you're describing could be a woofer or entire speaker out of phase. I've found woofers mis-wired in both KLF-10 & RF-83 speakers-they came that way new.

There'a a Parasound 5 channel amp in Garage Sale. Get it (before I do) and don't look back. I believe it will do everything you want it to do and more. It will be a night and day difference. Receivers just don't cut it once you're used to seperate amps, especially decent quality amps.

Everything is 100 percent in phase. I'm not describing a problem really...they just don't start to come alive until you give them some real juice. They sound excellent at low volumes, but I want that thump at mid volume...not at ear peircing volume.

On that note...when I put in the new crossovers...the squawker had both wires going to the same terminal...I didn't notice a difference until I tested them with the spl and the pink noise sounded different.

It's not just the bass...it's more of a thump AND a crack. The mids, the lows, the highs...it all comes alive when you move into the 85+db range. I want that in your face feeling, but without the listener fatigue.

I have decided to use the 2808 as a preamp and started another thread asking for advice on amps.

Yes, you will use the Denon as a pre-amp/processor. That's what I'm doing x 2. I scored a deal on an Onkyo tx-sr 805 and a tx-sr 806. I'm doing some rearranging right now and am using the 805's internal amps and I can't stand it. I have a B & K Ref 200.7 that's going to be used but until that time I'm having to use the receiver. That thing is so bright with the RF 7s I almost can't take it. I have a Pioneer VSX 1015 that sounds much better but still nowhere near what an outboard amp can do. I'm using the 806 with a Carver 6 channel on my Heritage system and it will sometimes make me cry it sounds so good.

Get a decent amp. You'll love it.

Denons rec, make excellent pre amps mated with right amp..I have the 3803 use it as a pre pro with a Behringer ep 2500 with klf 30's and love it.Thats right Behringer can't beat them for the money.Plays the 30's full range pretty dam good I know it's not a qsc but for 350.00 you can't go wrong.Plenty of head room with excellent highs......without fatigue ........They should bring back the Legends excellent speakers???????

How would you exactly describe the difference between running then through my Denon receiver, as compared to using a seperate power amp and the Denon as a preamp? Just a simple 2channel, QUALITY amp...

Is it really night and day, or is it one of those things that isn't exactly easy to tell the difference?

You should consider tubes somewhere in the chain. Since you want to keep that solid bass, then I would suggest a tubed output CD player, tube DAC or tube preamp (use the Denon 2808 as the amp). Tubes are what you are missing to get some really beautiful sound.

• Like 1

I love they way the KLFs play when you have the volume cranked way the hell up, but it also hurts your ears... .........I'm not getting rid of the 2808 anytime soon....

The Denon should work acceptably, It's really not a bad match. You will get a big improvement with separates but at that point how much of the Denon is really left? I think you can get there with a tube DAC and the right cabling. Being the 2 channel forum, I'd say you could do a lot better with a good 2 channel set-up for a lot less money than you will have tied up with a multi-channel rig. Keep us posted.

I have no experience withe the KLF or the multi channel's, but I sure do like your Bus. Ck your PM's & good luck on dialining your system in. One thing I am convinced of for sure Ever systm. has it's on special combinations for the sweet spot.

Cprnman

For many Klipsch speakers, people say they are on the brighter side. I think the best way to resolve this is with tubes, at least that has been my experience with my KLF's and Chorus speakers.

For your situation, I would recommend a tube DAC for the cheaper route to insert tubes into the chain. The more expensive route is a tube preamp. For example, I'm selling one of my tube DAC's for $250, a cheaper option than (but not better than) a tube preamp like the Juicy Music tube preamps.

• Like 1

Do most people agree that tubes take the painfully bright features of a klipsch speaker and make it sound warmer?

I'm hesitant because using a tube DAC would basically make it pointless to use the CDP I have now right? I might as well play cd's through my blu-ray player?

Are there other options or recommendations others have? Before I get into tubes...I would want new, seperate speakers for 2 channel, and also a seperate area for it (not gonna happen anytime soon). Will adding a seperate power amp help or not? I know that Denon receivers can add some brightness, so perhaps by adding a main power source it would change?

I think an amp would "help",that said,I'v owned several Denon 38xx models,I always thought they were a little boring.I have an Onkyo 805 on my 20's,not bad but not so good either.The best they sounded was with a Harmon Kardon avr635,that was pretty sweet but no hdmi.It's all about the preamp,I consider the 20's to be fairly forgiving compared to the 7's,which allow NO weak link.