Suggestions on a Crown Amp

I have notice many people using Crown amps now. I was considering a Berhinger A500, which I have seen good reviews on, but I have read too much negative anecdotal information about it and I am now exploring other options. I would like input on the best Crown amp, new or used for the money. Although I have Forte Iis, I would use the amp to drive many different speakers. In other words, I have no specific use for it; I just want a good high powered amp in contrast to all the low powered tube amps I own. I would want at least 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms, but more power would be fine. I believe a high damping factor is an important factor to consider for controlling woofers, do you agree? As far as an internal crossover goes, I don't need it but I guess it might be something I could play around with. How much should I spend? I was thinking about $600 or so. The Berhinger A500 is only $200. Thoughts?

Have a look at the QSC PLX2 series (or even the GLX, which has rca/ 1/4 inch phone, and xlr inputs). If you don't want/need the crossovers, I would give them serious consideration. For any of those, fan noise might be an issue, especially during quiet passages. Some have replaced the fan in their QSC amps, to a lower velocity fan, and considering the home use, haven't had an overheating problem.

I'm only using 3.5 watt amps, but the QSCs would be my favorite if I needed more power.

Bruce

Marvel has given you great advice on the QSC PLX series of amplifiers. They sound great and have tons of power. Use to own a pair of Adcom 565 monoblocs and the QSC just outperformed them in every possible way. My Aragon 4004 MK II and the QSC were fairly close but the QSC was the winner. It just stays smooth and has tons of power.

As for Crown I have been converted. The Crown K series is just unbelievable. Power in spades with complete control of a woofer. Actually the Crown K-2 has a very smooth and laid back midrange. Just perfect for my Chorus II's. As good as the QSC's are the K series from Crown are better. A few of the folks that steered me in that direction knew what they were talking about. Theres no fan to worry about. The K series have a completey sealed case. With the gains maxed out and the preamp full throttle I have not the slightest hiss down the throat of the horns. Music from blackness. I like rock music and I like to rock out and with that in mind the Crown K-2 gives me what I need.

The K series have a completey sealed case. With the gains maxed out and the preamp full throttle I have not the slightest hiss down the throat of the horns. Music from blackness.

Nice! I am certainly not going to knock the Crowns. You'll have to find one of the K series used and they are discontinued, though.

But we are all about used/recycled here. I'm the 4th owner of my Moondogs. [;)]

Bruce

As for Crown I have been converted. The Crown K series is just unbelievable. Power in spades with complete control of a woofer. Actually the Crown K-2 has a very smooth and laid back midrange. Just perfect for my Chorus II's. As good as the QSC's are the K series from Crown are better. A few of the folks that steered me in that direction knew what they were talking about. Theres no fan to worry about. The K series have a completey sealed case. With the gains maxed out and the preamp full throttle I have not the slightest hiss down the throat of the horns. Music from blackness. I like rock music and I like to rock out and with that in mind the Crown K-2 gives me what I need.

Yep, what he said!

I also use some K2's. I have my gains on about the 4th/5th click for every day use and if I'm going to be listening while I'm in other parts of the house (or even outside in the field mowing) I simply max the gains and dial in what I want.

One of the big attractions to me is the convection cooling and no fans. No fan, no fan noise..... nice!

I'm only using 3.5 watt amps,

Yes. Those single ended amps do have a unique sound: big soundstage, romantic, and lush. I have often wanted to hear one with my Forte IIs. As much as feel there is alot of voodoo in highend audio, I feel nothing is wrong with finding a sound you like. Afterall, the signal chain has been altered many times by the time it gets to your ears!

Okay, so I will definately look into a K2. Does anyone know what Crown replaced it with? Or, which new Crown should I consider? I realize that it might cost more than what I was originally considering, but I want a good amp!

The K models have the Studio Reference front end, with an ultra low resistance amp section..the damping factor is 3000+++ rated 40 - 400 hz

Hey Tracking Angle,

Just noticed this ad on AGon:

Link

Do not know anything about it, just remembered your thread here and thought it might be of interest.

I, like Marvel am using a 2A3 SET (Wright Mono4s) but just recently picked up a Wyred 4 Sound ST-500 (250 wpc ICE amp).

The SET amps are my fav. but at 4-5 wpc will not bring the house down... the W4S has a different sound and must be handled

with care as it can definitely rock the foundations.

I too have used a K2 in the past. Crown amps are solid.

I have no personal experience with Berhinger, but have heard from EE/objectivist types that they are quality items despite Berhinger's reputation. You may also want to take a look at the Yamaha pro-audio amps.

I'm with the others here, currently using a couple Decware se84's bridged. It won't get as loud, but talk about exploding your soundstage!