LaScala room placement

Ocnorb

I have searched this forum and the interweb and have not found what I am looking for............. advice

I have a dedicated listening room 12 feet by 24 feet with 8 foot ceilings

A couple of small windows along one long wall and no open doorways

In your opinion(s) what would be the best placement to exploit the characteristics of the LaScalas

there is some shelving along the long walls that can be moved to wherever and some miscelaneous furniture which can be moved out as required

Thoughts and suggestions are welcomed

thanks

Jim

ps: I think they sound great the way I have it set up now but am looking for improvements if possible.

LaScala's are pretty forgiving speakers for placement, my best sound was in my last home with a 22x26 room with lots of hallways and dining room off to one side about 8-9 ft apart and slightly faced in by experimenting in my listening chair, now confined to the den and bedroom for my audio equipment the LaScala's are 4 ft apart and still slightly faced in for best soundstage.

Experiment on what sounds best to you in your room.

Jim - I have my LS in a room that is 13x26, but the end of the 26 foot room is the entryway, taking up about 4 feet. I have them 6 feet apart, with them toed in and aimed at a point just behind me when I sit on my couch at the other end of the room. This gives me a slightly wider 'sweet spot'. The imaging is sometimes quite spooky, with instruments seeming to be one or two feet further apart than the speakers. A lot of this depends on the recording and the front end gear.

I originally had them on the long wall, but I was sitting too close to them for that to work well for me. Now I am able to be about 10 or 12 feet back.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce

Right now I have them about 6 feet apart and about 4 feet from the back/front wall and I sit approx 6 - 8 feet from then with them toed in

I also hear a soundstage that is sometimes wider than I think it can be

I will move my listening spot back a bunch and see what happens

Since I put the Crites xovers in the bass and the imaging has improved dramaticaly.... with the bass not necessarily louder but more refined and sharper and is more noticeable in the mix

and at higher SPLs it is more than good enough for me ..... for now :D

Jim

I'd suggest you try your La Scalas in the corners, as PWK recommended for all the Heritage speakers. Corner placement can give exaggerated bass with some speakers, but Heritage speakers were designed with corner placement in mind.

Six feet apart is not optimum. I first had my Scalas 5.5 feet apart and I thought they sounded fine, but when a fellow forum member visited, he told me I had to get them further apart. Moving them from a short half-wall to the long wall of the room meant rotating the whole layout of the room 90 degrees, even moving the wall-mounted surround speakers to other walls, but it was worth it. Now they're 12.5 feet apart, with a listening distance of 13 feet. The soundstage opened up nicely, although I hadn't realized that it was squeezed-sounding before. As well, more detail became apparent in the music, but I'm not sure why that should be.

Also, placing them closer to the front wall should give better bass response than having them out in the room. After quite a bit of testing, I found my own La Scalas had the most even bass response when they were about 5"-6" (yes, inches) from the front wall, and smoothest tone when toed in directly toward the listening position. You'll want to experiment with the amount of toe-in, until you find the combination of sweet spot width and soundstaging that best suits your room and your ears.

Well, I have moved the speakers closer to the corners of the room and they are a few more feet apart but still have some items to move to get them right into the corners.

The soundstage has widened out quite a bit with no loss of sound quality. The different instuments etc are now much more distinct and more in "thier own spot" in the soundstage. I am starting to think that I wish my room was wider.

Can't crank it up to high SPL at this late hour as I share the rather large house with the owners who are asleep a couple of floors above me, not a good idea to disturb thier sleep.

It is all going well.... buy Heresies (with crites caps done) and they sounded better than anything I had before..... buy LaScalas and they sound better than the Heresies.....put new crites crossovers in the LS and they sound better than I could have imagined............... reposition the LS and they sound even better.....do final reposition when the others are away at work and school tomorrow and listen at high SPL and see how it goes............ and then recap the old HK930 for more improvement..............eventually tubes somewhere down the road............... what a great journey and it only gets better and better....makes life worthwhile