This album is so INSANELY great I just had to tell you about it!!!

I have been playing this album almost every day for the last 4 months and I just can't get enough of it.

Von Freeman is my favorite living musician and this is his latest, recorded in 2002 and released late last year on NESSA.

How about a MacArthur grant for Von, who has never made any real money but who is one of the greatest EVER?

What makes this one special is that Von was recorded with his regular Chicago quartet--the empathy among these four is amazing.

BEST VERSION OF "SUMMERTIME" EVER!!!!!!!!!

51rI9CD53RL._SS500_.jpg

And here's a tasty YouTube bit:

I'm glad to see you guys supporting Von. Here's a guy who could have been huge but wouldn't leave his hometown for the big city. I had the pleasure of seeing him live a few years ago in Chicago with Allan, Boomac and Artto. That was a LONG night from what I remember! He was amazing, especially considering he was pushing 80. Let me know what you guys think when you get your CDs.

He's recorded quite a few albums in the past 10 years but you'll have to settle for his older stuff if you want it on vinyl. Not easy to find either.

Gary's right. There was only one "major label" release from Von and that was his first record back in the early 70's on Atlantic, "Doin' it Right Now."

This one is EASY to find and you can pick it up for ten bucks on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Von-Freeman-Doin-It-Right-Now-LP_W0QQitemZ250590605601QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item3a585d3121

The best Von albums on vinyl are the two NESSA releases from the late 70's, "Have No Fear" and "Serenade and Blues." They are more in the $15-$25 range but still show up on ebay pretty regularly. I just don't see how any decent jazz collection could NOT have these two. Essential stuff--among the best jazz LP's of the 1970's--right up there with Art Pepper's stuff . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/N-11-Serenade-in-Blues-VON-FREEMAN-nessa-Lp_W0QQitemZ300395725710QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item45f0fb038e

http://cgi.ebay.com/VON-FREEMAN-Have-No-Fear-John-Young-Wilbur-Campbell-LP_W0QQitemZ220540253128QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item33593933c8

And finally there is "Young and Foolish" on Affinity (Euro import) from the early to mid 1980's. This one is pretty hard to find but is really a great record with an absolutely SMOKIN' "Bye Bye Blackbird."

http://cgi.ebay.com/Von-Freeman-Quartet-Young-Foolish-LP_W0QQitemZ350250814500QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item518c934c24

IMO, the Atlantic LP is more polished and quite frankly, more boring than the other LPs. Not that it's bad, but the others have this great live, gritty, garage sound to them. They're really good LPs and give you that "being there" feel to them if you know what I mean.

I have been playing this album almost every day for the last 4 months and I just can't get enough of it.

What makes this one special is that Von was recorded with his regular Chicago quartet--the empathy among these four is amazing.

BEST VERSION OF "SUMMERTIME" EVER!!!!!!!!!

Alan, are these the same guys he played with when we saw them at Andy's here in Chicago? (That was still the largest pork chop I've ever seen!)

I heard them do the Summertime thing at the Chicago Blues Fest before Andy's ~ remember those folks he gave a lecture to at the other table who kept yelling at him to play it? That was hilarious!!

And Alan, you know, playing the same thing over and over is a sign of depression.

How long is the Summertime version on this recording? At Blues Fest they must have jammed around this for 45 minutes!

I don't know about Von....but I do know it's really great when you find some music you can just listen to regular for a long time.That's what it's all about,don't happen enough anymore.

Thanks Allen for the recommendation, I am a fan of Von but dont have this piece.

Hey Kaiser looks like you have a new toy in your Avitar..?Cool

Cornman

I can not lie, I took the plunge and am exstatic with my new baby. The combo of this table and the Dynavector 20xL is pure heaven[:D] Going to give it just a little more time and I'm going blogging for sure[:o] Here she is up in the treehouse[<:o)]

I was so hoping Von was on vinyl as this thing blows any CD I own away[8]

I have decided the GTA stands for "Go to Albums"! It like calls me over and says toss the transport[:@] LOL

post-18681-1381955438945_thumb.jpg

post-18681-13819569810488_thumb.jpg

Lets dont forget "The great divide" my introduction to this mistro,,, "Are you straight Rich,,,Jimmy are you ready""" The recording has that open mike feel.

Looking forward to "Speaks" & the day I can have my own man cave Like senior Kaiser & then my "go to albums " wiil be speaking to me::: hey I hear one calling me now.

Cornman

Cornman