This album is so INSANELY great I just had to tell you about it!!!

The CD arived yesterday and I'm just getting a chance to give a listen. As expected, I like it so far.

It's especially encouraging to see that it was produced by Nessa Records of Whitehall, MI. Whitehall is on White lake near Lake Michigan.

Lookin' Good Kaiser!!! That is a beautiful Table and a fantastic "Swing" you've made for it! Nice Work!

Thanks Allen! I will add it to the list. Yes

Dennie

Yes, THX for the reco Allan. Good stuff Maynard[;)]

THX Dennie and Corn, I plan on posting a detail review once I have her broke in a little more but seems to be getting sweeter with each listen[:P]

I'll tell you not having bright lights and bad eyes (maybe being a wee lazy also) is clearly evident in this shot with the wife's new 12 Mpxl Nikon[:o] I promise to clean the dust palace up before a long thread about the Well Tempered[:(] Wonder how much sound degredation I'm suffering from all that dust[:|]

post-18681-13819554832088_thumb.jpg

post-18681-13819570155604_thumb.jpg

OK so I got the CD today and had a listen a couple of times. THIS IS NOT A SLAM. Good horn but not much else, I say this as I am trying to find my 'style'. I like this for what it is but would like a little more eh, blues, to it. Maybe some bass and lead. Again, just looking for suggestions as I am trying to find what pushes my button. Hoping you guys and gals with extensive libraries can gently point me.

Please forgive the ignorance on classes, styles, genre of music. I don't know what to call it. I know that there are both kinds of music; country and western. No, really, I have never been able to 'identify' genre except for DISCO.

USNRET, When you can relax and really listen, this guy can talk with his sax! Listen a few times over several days. I'm bettin it will grow on ya!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j_TDoOPnIA

Now with another direction in Jazz, the great Bill Evans with his trio playing "beautiful love"

Send me that CD and I will send you another jazz one. Maybe you'll like it more?

Send me that CD and I will send you another jazz one. Maybe you'll like it more?

Sounds like a deal, I will give it more time when I can give it my undivided attention Mom and the little one has a bad case of strep throat and I am the nurse.

Let me take another shot at describing what I am looking for.

Take track 4 of the thread album (my favorite), lower the presence and slow down the sax. Track 5, nice slow horn but I would want more band.

I have been playing this album almost every day for the last 4 months and I just can't get enough of it.

Von Freeman is my favorite living musician and this is his latest, recorded in 2002 and released late last year on NESSA.

How about a MacArthur grant for Von, who has never made any real money but who is one of the greatest EVER?

What makes this one special is that Von was recorded with his regular Chicago quartet--the empathy among these four is amazing.

BEST VERSION OF "SUMMERTIME" EVER!!!!!!!!!

51rI9CD53RL._SS500_.jpg

And here's a tasty YouTube bit:

Well Allan, it seems we (Klipsch Forum Members) have bought all that were in stock at Amazon.com. I finally ordered it yesterday and it is back ordered. [^o)] Estimated delivery date: March 18th - 30th. [W]

I will continue to look forward to hearing it,

Dennie

OK so I got the CD today and had a listen a couple of times. THIS IS NOT A SLAM. Good horn but not much else, I say this as I am trying to find my 'style'. I like this for what it is but would like a little more eh, blues, to it. Maybe some bass and lead. Again, just looking for suggestions as I am trying to find what pushes my button. Hoping you guys and gals with extensive libraries can gently point me.

Please forgive the ignorance on classes, styles, genre of music. I don't know what to call it. I know that there are both kinds of music; country and western. No, really, I have never been able to 'identify' genre except for DISCO.

Alright. I've been waiting for this post.

USNRET - Von, like many other jazz greats of that style, is an acquired taste. I wasn't going to say anything. I was waiting to hear people's "honest" opinions once they got their CDs. If you aren't an experienced jazz fan, you might not like or appreciate Von immediately. Maybe not ever. In fact, you might have no idea how anyone can listen to music that is so off key. Craig likes to call it "random horn blowing." It's not for everyone. Allan has been a huge jazz fan forever and that's pretty much all he listens to. He hears things in the music many of us do not. Sit down with him for an hour and watch him as he enjoys a song he's heard a thousand times and you'll understand what I mean. I love jazz but it's not the same for me as it is with Allan, however I'm sure he doesn't appreciate a good Grateful Dead jam the way I do.

There are plenty of great jazz albums and if you want a slam dunk, I'd be happy to provide you with a few that you will absolutely love. Send me a pm if you want help "finding your style." I was there not too long ago myself and I have a pretty good idea what to suggest.

USNRET

I agree with Gary,

Vonski Speaks and Von Freeman are acquired tastes that some will never acquire. While I enjoy the CD, I don't like it as much as Allan does. My wife can't stand to be in the room when Summertime is playing.

There are many great jazz albums, but, IMHO, if someone has only 5 jazz albums, 2 of the 5 should include Kind of Blue by Miles Davis and Time Out by Dave Brubeck. If neither of those appeals to you, then jazz might not be your cup of tea. On the other hand, if they strike a chord, you've opened a door to a plethora of music that can be characterized as jazz.

Remember the story of the emporer's new clothes. You don't have to agree with the majority--or a minority. Listen to what appeals to you, not what someone else (including me) says is worthy of your time.

I have been playing this album almost every day for the last 4 months and I just can't get enough of it.

What makes this one special is that Von was recorded with his regular Chicago quartet--the empathy among these four is amazing.

Alan, are these the same guys he played with when we saw them at Andy's here in Chicago? (That was still the largest pork chop I've ever seen!)

I heard them do the Summertime thing at the Chicago Blues Fest before Andy's ~ remember those folks he gave a lecture to at the other table who kept yelling at him to play it? That was hilarious!!

And Alan, you know, playing the same thing over and over is a sign of depression.

How long is the Summertime version on this recording? At Blues Fest they must have jammed around this for 45 minutes!

AARGH double post...[sn]

Alan, are these the same guys he played with when we saw them at Andy's here in Chicago? (That was still the largest pork chop I've ever seen!)

I heard them do the Summertime thing at the Chicago Blues Fest before Andy's ~ remember those folks he gave a lecture to at the other table who kept yelling at him to play it? That was hilarious!!

And Alan, you know, playing the same thing over and over is a sign of depression.

How long is the Summertime version on this recording? At Blues Fest they must have jammed around this for 45 minutes!

Artto, i knew i saw you somewhere before when i met you at Steves to audition the Jubilee's. I usually go to the Chicago blues festival as often as possible and remember faces and yours looked awfully familiar, maybe we have some mutual friends.