question for the wise

1gt

Is there a website(s) one can find the description of preamps/ opamps as used in audio?

To understand the concepts to start to be able to make an intelligent choice in purchase of preamps/opamps beside just listen as the solo method?

You assistance is appreciated

If your source component has a high output voltage (such as some of the cd players with a tube output stage), or if your amp requires very low drive for high output, consider using a passive line stage. It will simply act as a gate between the source and your amplifier without exerting any sonic signature other than that created by the interconnect cables. A good preamp shouldn't have any sonic signature of its own and can be chosen based on the number of inputs and other needed features for your particular installation. In the final analysis, your ears will still be the best judge of what you are looking for...............

A good preamp shouldn't have any sonic signature of its own

Well, that's no fun. Huh?

You are a "tube fanatic" and you think a pre-amp has no sonic signature? Sorry but you'll have to turn in your tube rolling card. After you finish playing with passive pre-amps and buy a good pre-amp you will see how important a good pre-amp is. Don't leave home without one! YMMV.

A good preamp shouldn't have any sonic signature of its own

Well, that's no fun. Huh?

You are a "tube fanatic" and you think a pre-amp has no sonic signature? Sorry but you'll have to turn in your tube rolling card. After you finish playing with passive pre-amps and buy a good pre-amp you will see how important a good pre-amp is. Don't leave home without one! YMMV.

Nah! The sonic signature is more a function of cable capacitance,
impedance mismatches, etc. It's easy to get a tube preamp to be ruler
flat from 20-20kHz and, basically, "not be there." Same with the
passsive line stages. Sure, any preamp can introduce some noise (even
a stepped attenuator in a passive line stage can do that), but what the
heck! Isn't arguing about this stuff fun?????[quote
user=russ69]

"A good preamp shouldn't have any sonic signature of its own"

EVERYTHING has a sonic signature that is in the audio path. There is no such thing as a component with no signature. Don't care how expensive, how high quality, how many Tibetan monks have blessed the caps - I do most guarantee there is a signature. Some less noticeable than others....sure. But LACK of signature? I'm not buying it.

I will be the proud owner of '84 Klipschorns this month. I primarily play 24/96 vinyl rips (DVDA) using a Panasonic RP91. Some folks state tubes are the way to audio enlightenment; I read and interview article with Jim Hunter (I think it was the name, I know it was a senior Engineer at Klipsch, I cannot relocate the interview) that he is using solid state to power his rosewood horns.

I am trying to gain an understanding of pros/cons of tube, versus solid state, what make the stuff high end versus mid/low end. What are the measureable performance parameters? Trying to understand the choices before purchasing. Budget currently unknown yey, I do not understand what the price breakpoints are?

I found this for a solid state reference guide

HIGH-POWER
AUDIO AMPLIFIER
CONSTRUCTION MANUAL
50 to 500 Watts for
the Audio Perfectionist
G. Randy Stone

ebook ISBN 0-07-135972-5
Print ISBN 0-07-134119-6

Does anyone know a good building a tube amp reference book?

THX

I will be the proud owner of '84 Klipschorns this month. I primarily play 24/96 vinyl rips (DVDA) using a Panasonic RP91. Some folks state tubes are the way to audio enlightenment; I read and interview article with Jim Hunter (I think it was the name, I know it was a senior Engineer at Klipsch, I cannot relocate the interview) that he is using solid state to power his rosewood horns.

I am trying to gain an understanding of pros/cons of tube, versus solid state, what make the stuff high end versus mid/low end. What are the measureable performance parameters? Trying to understand the choices before purchasing. Budget currently unknown yey, I do not understand what the price breakpoints are?

The pros/cons of tube vs. solid state will come from your own ears (that controversy has been raging for decades). Measurable performance parameters will tell you very little about the ultimate sound of the system; and just because an amp or preamp costs 10 grand doesn't mean that it will sound any better to you than equipment at 1/10 that price. The best thing is to find a dealer who will allow you to audition equipment in your home before purchasing (some mail order companies like Audio Advisor may still offer a 30 day money back guarantee). That's the only way to be sure of what you will hear.