I got a pair of Forte's for $150

This morning I saw a guy selling a pair of dirty old Fortes for $150 I blasted right over and played dumb like I have never really heard of Klipsch. He said it was pretty good stuff....I just kept playing dumb.

These things were very dirty and coated with years of smoke, dirt, and whatnot. I tried to offer $125 but he would not do it.

I brought them home and rubbed them down with furniture restore and 0000 steel wool, blew out all the dust, wiped off all the smeg, and put the grills in the bath tubb with a little bit of detergent(the water was nasty brown afterwards) then hit them with some Old English wood protectant and played some music.

I am really really impressed with these baby's. I have heard so many good things about the Forte II, but not a whole lot about the O.G. Forte.

These can play those low tones real well.

Have any of you messed with Murphys wood soap and had good results? Also, There are some stains on the grills that Im having a hard time removing...any suggestions?

One more Question...there are also some stains on the passive...how to you recommed I clean them?

If the cones are stained (I think you mentioned the passives) just let it go, don't mess with them. No one will see or maybe rarely see them anyway. As for the grill cloth, try aforementioned product be gentle and if all fails and you can't stand the look buy some new material and re screen them.

If you are having a hard time getting your oil to take to your finish you will need to remove the layers of smegma with a mix of water & Simple green first.

I have never used the stuff on fabric before so you may want to try a inconspicous spot before going crazy on the grill, not sure if you would want to use anything on the cones though, usually i just dry dust those myself.

Definitely recap those...it made all the difference in the world with mine. You have the newer Fortes, mine have the round terminal cups. $150 is a great deal even if people did spill the bong water on them. Mine have the full Crites treatments, mids, titanium tweets, and XOs. Now theyre a totally different animal (for the better!)

I tried carpet cleaner and got most of the smeg off them. There is one spot that looks like chewing gum was once there.[:@]

I think new caps are in order. Im not sure what year they are from...the i.d. tags were not there and I can't find any numbers stamped into the cabs.

Thanks Dennie...I will see you on the "Right This Minute" thread.