Decision Time: 5.1 or 7.1

Youthman

• Moderators

buy 2x4's and make cheap stands just for testing. it only cost me around $8 to make 3 different heights for 4 speakers.

That's actually a great idea to be able to test different positions. I just don't have the ability to lower them any further without them being in the way of people banging their head on them. The HT in our original plans was 15' wide x 25' deep. The house we ended up buying had a 13' x 19'. I wish it was 2' wider, that would be awesome but I'm blessed to even have a HT to begin with so I can't complain.

Amp.Wink

Agreed. Put some power to the towers and you will not be disappointed. The great thing about Emotiva, is that if you don't think it was the right move, you can return it, no questions asked. The difference when I run my 7's with a receiver and then with some real wattage behind them is very big and I would imagine that you will notice the same with your RF's

• Moderators

Put some power to the towers and you will not be disappointed.

Wow, that somehow sounds magical! I just love how that sounds and hope that I will equally love how the Emo sounds with my Klipsch.

• Moderators

I think this just sealed the deal. According to Sound & Vision Magazine's Benchmark Testing of my Yamaha RX-V1800, although my receiver is rated at 130w x 7, their test results showed the Yammie pushing 103w/ch with 5 channels driven and only 55w/ch with 7 channels driven. This explains why I had a blah feeling when I hooked all 7 speakers up and had it at my usual volume. If the Yammie is going to struggle that much, there is no need to go with 7.1 without an amp so it's off to CL for my RB-35's and RS-35's. Once they sell, I'll probably be buying the Emotiva XPA-5 instead of the XPA-3.

Once again, the knowledge of the Klipsch family has proven to be trustworthy!

you know youth, i feel like a tard. i never read your "options." i was getting confused when people were posting "amp." i thought the whole thing was where you wanted to mount the speakers. i guess that's what happens when you don't read.

now that i have reread you first post, i agree with everyone. a new amp. i still think you can go with a 7.1 set up. my question is why would you want the xpa-5 instead of the xpa-3? are you stating you are going to dump the 7.1 idea and go with a 5.1? if you go with a either set up you can have the yammy drive the surrounds and the amp for mains and center. you don't need 200w for surrounds, well i don't want to say need, but you know what i am talking about. lol.

i would personally keep which ever surround you like the best, mount them lower and closer. then get the xpa-3 have it power the mains and center. let yammy power the 4ea surrounds. even at worst case scenario, 103w per speakers is more than enough. that was one of the reasons my onkyo stayed so cool. i only had it power the 4 surrounds. add in a well vented et center and it never got as hot as people said it did.

anyways, that's my thoughts. (off topic, i still think a 6.1 would be the absolute best). have a good one! hey, did you know i am beating you as "most active user?" what's wrong with the world today! lol. did you get those cables yet?

Hey Youthman,

There is some guy selling (2), I mean (3), I mean (5) Marantz MA-700(200w) monoblocks in the garge sale section. I am sure he would hook you up since I think he lives an hours drive away and he would probably deliver. Just looking out for a Florida forum buddy.

Bill

Back when I ran a 7.1 setup (w/ Forte II's for all 4 rears), I ended up selling the 2nd set a few weeks after I installed them. In my opinion, they didn't add enough change to be worth it. I got the same effects from a 5.1 as I did 7.1. Now that I moved into a smaller space, I'm running 7.1 with the back 4 speakers for more ambiance than anything. I still can't tell the difference between the two. Maybe it's just me, but I think 5.1 pulls me into the movies enough! Get the amp, or another upgrade, sell it all!!

Youth remember what I said in that email, the best upgrade I have ever done was add amps. Yes people shout Klipsch and the signal to noise ratio from the mountains. Bill and I have talked about this several times and I think we agree. Av units have so many processes going on under one top it unbelievable that they can do it with one power supply. To understand the potential of a great set of fronts and even good bookshelves have the available headroom in your amp to push the speakers with clean power. You longer have to turn it up to hear bass or low freq; it's all there even at low volumes. I knew I liked my RF3 but when I applied an amp the first thing I thought was wow and the second was I have been missing this for how many years?

• Moderators
you know youth, i feel like a tard. i never read your "options."

No problem.

i still think you can go with a 7.1 set up

Yes I could....just need to get the amp first, then later I can consider adding two more speakers.

my question is why would you want the xpa-5 instead of the xpa-3?

If I do decide to go the pre/pro route later down the road, I'm all set. If I get the XPA-3, then I'll need to buy the XPA-2 and end up spending more in the long run.

you don't need 200w for surrounds

I don't "Need" a dedicated theater room either. [;)]

(off topic, i still think a 6.1 would be the absolute best)

That's totally on topic to me. 6.1 or 7.1 would be good.

hey, did you know i am beating you as "most active user?" what's wrong with the world today! lol.

I think the forum is just broke. I'll let ya take the lead for one day though. I'm all about building other's self esteem. [:D]

did you get those cables yet?

Yes sir! They look great. Can't wait to try them out this weekend. The red metal cable isnt' going to shock me is it? LOL

There is some guy selling (2), I mean (3), I
mean (5) Marantz MA-700(200w) monoblocks in the garge sale section. I
am sure he would hook you up since I think he lives an hours drive away
and he would probably deliver. Just looking out for a Florida forum
buddy.

Get the amp, or another upgrade, sell it all!!

That was hillarious! Don't think I'll be selling it all though.

Youth remember what I said in that email, the
best upgrade I have ever done was add amps.

Most definitely. Your previous comment rings loud and clear.

To understand the potential of a great set of
fronts and even good bookshelves have the available headroom in your
amp to push the speakers with clean power. You longer have to turn it
up to hear bass or low freq; it's all there even at low volumes. I
knew I liked my RF3 but when I applied an amp the first thing I thought
was wow and the second was I have been missing this for how many
years?

I found this out a few years ago. I borrowed a QSC amp (265 watts x 2) from my youth room and hooked it up to my RF-83's. In our previous house, the RF-93's did not have a wall behind them so there was not much bass that came from them. When I added the QSC, it added quite a bit of bass and it was extremely tight bass too.

I can't wait to get an amp hooked up to my system.

• Moderators

There is some guy selling (2), I mean (3), I
mean (5) Marantz MA-700(200w) monoblocks in the garge sale section. I
am sure he would hook you up since I think he lives an hours drive away
and he would probably deliver. Just looking out for a Florida forum
buddy.

Yes I know he would....but I would prefer to have a five channel amp....besides, it looks like Montigue might be interested in them. Good luck with your sell.

hey, did you know i am beating you as "most active user?" what's wrong with the world today! lol.

Zoom Zoom.....LOL

post-27215-1381955488475_thumb.jpg

post-27215-13819570201198_thumb.jpg

LMAO! okay, the leader board is back to normal! lol!

i agree, you do need the amp. did you decide if you were going to stay at 7.1 or 5.1? were you going to keep the Yammy? if so, why not let it do the surround duty and have the xpa-3 handle up front?

did you get the UMC-1 bug? i know i did. i am glad i got the upa-1 a long time ago. now, it will power the entire set up and when i get more funds i'll buy the xpa-3. that way the upa-1 will do the 4 surrounds with room left over for 2 additional speakers. when emo releases their next gen processor i bet it will have some type of ceiling (top) speakers. i can already see me buying some more speakers making mine into a 9.1. i can see it now, it just hasn't happened yet!

just so you know, i have some monoprice rca's for sale. they would go nice with your new amp! lol! i even have some bi-amp cables if you wanted to do that.......lol.

Hey Youthman,

I am like that Kirby Vacuum Cleaner guy thet won't go away. I you buy now I will ..........and this........and this..........and this.

You know I am just goofing with you. I passed on the RS-52's for now. Maybe we can talk RS-35's if no one jumps on them now.

Bill

• Moderators

Hehe. Wednesdays are my busy days so I don't get a chance to post much until the evening.

did you decide if you were going to stay at 7.1 or 5.1?

5.1 for now, maybe 7.1 later down the road.

were you going to keep the Yammy? if so, why not let it do the surround duty and have the xpa-3 handle up front?

Yes, Yammie is a keeper. The XPA-3 isn't out of the question. I'm just a long term thinker/planner. The XPA-3 would fit my immediate needs but down the road, it would mean buying a second amp (XPA-3). If I buy the XPA-5 now, and later go 7.1, I'll let the yammie power the back surrounds.

did you get the UMC-1 bug?

Nope. No desire at this point.

i can already see me buying some more speakers making mine into a 9.1.

Someone call the Doc! Inventor has it REALLY BAD!!!!

just so you know, i have some monoprice rca's for sale. they would go nice with your new amp! lol! i even have some bi-amp cables if you wanted to do that.......lol.

I'll take a look at your ad. I want to switch out all my cables. Most of mine are 15yr old Monster Cable.

Bill, sorry you didn't get the RS-52's. Wish you would have been able to sell your Mono's or Quartets.

• Moderators

Hehe. Wednesdays are my busy days so I don't get a chance to post much until the evening.

did you decide if you were going to stay at 7.1 or 5.1?

5.1 for now, maybe 7.1 later down the road.

were you going to keep the Yammy? if so, why not let it do the surround duty and have the xpa-3 handle up front?

Yes, Yammie is a keeper. The XPA-3 isn't out of the question. I'm just a long term thinker/planner. The XPA-3 would fit my immediate needs but down the road, it would mean buying a second amp (XPA-3). If I buy the XPA-5 now, and later go 7.1, I'll let the yammie power the back surrounds.

did you get the UMC-1 bug?

Nope. No desire at this point.

i can already see me buying some more speakers making mine into a 9.1.

Someone call the Doc! Inventor has it REALLY BAD!!!!

I'll take a look at your ad. I want to switch out all my cables. Most of mine are 15yr old Monster Cable.

Bill, sorry you didn't get the RS-52's. Wish you would have been able to sell your Mono's or Quartets.