Legend Queries

First does anyone know the wattage of KLF20 woofers,midranges, and tweeters?Second what would be a matching/upgrade drivers for said components?Can a higher wattage driver be used in the horns?If so would a crossover change be required? Would this modification change the tonal balance of the speaker as a whole?K.C.

Higher wattage??? Just curious... do you realize that KLF-20's are rated at 200 watts RMS continuous, 800 watts peak? I believe Bob Crites offers some upgrades (crossovers, diaphragms) for these but I don't think there are any upgrades/replacements for the woofers.

My intent is not really to increase the wattage as much as move to a better horn/driver.As far as I can tell without better info better drivers equals more powerful drivers.I base this on a schematic I saw in these forums that showed the tweeter to be 5 watt.The smallest wattage of a 1 inch Radian driver I have found is 35 watt(I think).In a perfect world I would like a driver better than stock but without the brightness of titanium.I have about 50 hrs. on a set of Crites titanium diaphrams and they are still somewhat bright to my ear.The Kimber Kable interconnects helped greatly.I am going to try crossover upgades first before I try other horns/drivers.Thank you for your input.

Killer Clown,

The K-703 is a fine horn and should not be replaced. It also should accept quite a few quality 1" drivers as it is used in the pro cinema line as the HF part of the KPT-335-HF/MF with a different driver. You could probably purchase a P-Audio like this one http://www.usspeaker.com/paudio%20bmd450-1.htm and have something very similar. You would most likely need to change the crossover frequency and attenuation to match but that should not be too bad to do.

Actually the drivers are pretty good. I would look more at modifying the crossover to better suit your requirements.

If you replace the drivers, you will need to do a significant amount of work anyway on the crossovers to match the sound.

Maybe Crite's diaphrams?

Thanks for the heads up Peter.From reading in these forums I too thought of the crossovers.I know others have had this sense of brightness also.The Crites titanium tweeter diaphrams are 85% there when it comes to reducing the brightness.As an added benefit they have wonderful control of the frequencies they reproduce.The interconnects reduced the brightness some and they really opened up the presence.All my adjustments now have me at 0 at all levels.I do have the treble slightly negative to compensate.the previous post was very informative as to a direction to go as far as another driver.I want to try the new crossovers but if I am still not satisfied with them then I am stuck using titanium.I was looking at the Radian drivers so I could use a non-stock/non- titanium diaphram.Has anyone used the titanium then upgraded crossovers?What did your ear hear?K.C.

Great choice for a replacement driver Don.I had looked at that driver myself.I like the fact it is not titanium and the dB level looks to be a better match.As far as I can tell this driver can be used with stock or upgrade with stock spec crossovers.Any one else know this for sure?Has anyone used this high frequency driver?what did your ear hear?K.C.

The mid-range on the klf needs to go down easily to 600 or 700 hz. The B&C DE-250 is spec'd to 1K and has a recommended crossover point of 1.6K. Looks more like a upper mid - tweeter vs a driver that is going to match the crossover point needed for a KLF-20.

K.C. Perhaps I am missing what you are trying to do.

There is a screw-on adapter on the mid-range horn and not on the tweeter. If you are looking at a tweeter upgrade, you are looking for a swap out.

I am looking to improve the tweeter not the midrange.Consensus says diaphram change on midrange brings it easily into acceptable.The tweeter is the issue.I want it warm and clear.I hope others have been here and could advise me how to achieve that warm and clear sound.What steps to take and in what order.K.C.

The B&C looks good for a tweeter. You may need to modify the enclosure depending on the horn choice, along with the crossover.

I myself, under the 102 or so DB prefer the Aurum Cantus G1 ribbon if you want super clean and clear. 102db efficiency though expensive and would need to sit on top of the klf-20. It'd be very very hard to get cleaner than that if you don't need any higher than 102db efficiency. No nothing like Klipsch stuff.[:#]