Problems with my newly aquired Cornwall speakers. Can someone help me?

This is my first post, so I hope I am doing it right. I have been doing lots of research from this site. It is very informative and I visit it everyday. I own a pair of kg3.5's and decided to make the move up to a pair of Cornwalls. I got these of off Craigslist locally on Saturday. Before I paid the guy eveything seemed to work ok. I got them home and hooked them up last night and still everything seemed to work fine. Then tonight when I got home from work, I was listening to Miles Davis Kind Of Blue, I turned it up a little higher than I normally do and noticed that sound comes out of one speaker like it should, but the other speaker is somewhat distorted. I am going to try to post some pictures. I dont think the backs have been off and the guy I got them from said he never took the backs off and never took the grills off. I am the third owner. I am in desparate need of finding out what is wrong. It will break my heart if they are damaged in any way. I saved for a long time and spent a fair amout to get these. Does anybody have any experience withthis kind of stuff.

post-42931-13819554644604_thumb.jpg

post-42931-13819570003608_thumb.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Jeff.

Nice speakers!

One of the Corn Docs will be along momentarily but there is something you can check in the mean time. First, its not going to be that bad to get you back up. It could be a fried diaphragm in a driver, a bad crossover component or may just be loose terminals or corrosion on the terminals. First off, get access to the inside. You obviously care about the speakers and won't be using a hammer and chisel to enter. If you can run a screwdriver and use adult caution you'll be fine. Nothing in there is going to hurt you. Just take a check at all the wires going to the speakers (drivers) , at the terminal where you hook up your speaker wires from the amp and all terminal screws at the crossover.

If nothing is clearly wrong or loose, try loosening the terminals and re-tighten. Now try another listen and see if all is well. If not try to find out which driver is the culprit (tweeter, mid range or woofer). Post back what you find out with perhaps a closeup of the suspect speaker's crossover.

just for grins you make first switch out left and right speaker wires to ensure it is indeed the speaker at fault.

Hey Jeff Spicoli (reminds me of "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" for some reason)

Welcome to the Forum, we're glad you're here.

USNRET gave you great advise. How's it coming? I'd switch the speaker wires at the amp (is that an old Pioneer?[:o]) and make sure the problem is with the speakers, as was mentioned. It is amazing how these very efficient speakers will reveal problems with gear, media, room, more so than most other (less efficient) speakers.

If it turns out to be the speaker and not something else, you will need to open it up and take a look.

Let us know what you find and pictures help a lot. [Y]

Dennie

I took the back off and all the wires looked to be tight and everything in place. I switched the wires too, but unfortunately the same problem. I listened to the same somg as before when i noticed something wrong and still no help. There is sound, but its not as clear and crisp as the other speaker. They are hooked up to a Pioneer 1250sx. Do you think the receiver could be bad? I will post some pictures of the inside. It just sucks becasue I am just geting into this stuff and I have NO experience at all on good quality electronics, but am trying to learn as I go.

post-42931-13819554658884_thumb.jpg

post-42931-13819570017552_thumb.jpg

Someone has been there before you. That fuse has been added. And perhaps the capacitor as well.

I couldn't tell from your post if you switched left and right speaker leads and if the problem stayed with same speaker (problem with receiver) or moved (problem with speaker)

Yes, the problem stayed with the same speaker. There is a electronics store that is a Klipsch dealer in my town. Would it be a good idea to talk to them and see what went wrong. I went there a couple of moths ago and priced some Klipsch speakers. Do you think it could be the receiver? I am one of those guys who wants stuff done right the first time and I'd rather not cut my teeth with a pair of Corwalls. Here is another pic of the insides.

post-42931-13819554700414_thumb.jpg

post-42931-13819570042014_thumb.jpg

It's definitely the speaker since you swapped channels and it stayed with the same speaker. Like USNRET said, figure out if it's the tweeter, midrange, woofer or all three. That should narrow things down.

It could be the crossover. Where are you located? I have spare Cornwall crossovers if that's what you suspect. Maybe someone in your area does also.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for everyones help. I talked to USNRET last night on the phone and he pointed me in the right direction. At least I know a whole lot more this morning than I did yesterday. You guys on this site sure dont mess around!!!! I live in Effingham Illinois, its about 100 miles east of St. Louis

No, I havent narrowed it down yet. Hopefully after work, I will be able to listen to them and find out wich driver is acting up. I hate to admit this, but I am going to anyway, but until last night, I didnt even know what a croosover was or what it was used for. I have to start somewhere I guess and everyone has been a huge help. If you guys bear with me....I know I'll get better the more I do it.

more pics of the inside

Pardon my ignorance, but what mid-range horn is that in 100_1544[1].JPG? I thought this vintage of C/W would have the old metal K-600. That one looks like a composite 600-Hz version of the K-401. Thanks --

Hey Larry, that is a K-601 and used during that time between the 1st and 2ond generations. Not sure what mid driver he has, but it's not a 55-V.

I just spoke to Jeff and offered some thoughts on what to check with his tweeter