My amps make a loud "POP" when any bathroom / kitchen / Bedroom fan is switched on or off???

Dylanl

Sounds like dirty switch contacts, does the switch still make noise if flipped slowly ?

Moisture behind the walls causes this sometimes but it is nothing to worry about unless your tunes are cranked way up.

3 different fans 3 different rooms? The bathroom does get a lot of moiture from the shower. I have a large McIntosh MC2300 puting out 300 watts and the pop is quite loud. I just don't want that or my tube amps to be hurt.

Pull one of the switches and see if they can be serviced, a little contact cleaner may be all you need.

If the switches are cheapies you may want to spend the extra dough on some some hospital grade units, they will be of higher quality.

Make sure you switch off the breaker before doing any work.

What is happening? This never did this before or I just never noticed it. Any idea what could be causing it?

Lift the ground from all your components. Use a 3 to 2 prong power plug adaptor. Only have your components grounded at one point (preferably at the source, ie: preamp/control center or reciever or power conditioner/surge protector, etc). Also try reversing the power plug polarity.

Who knows whether "pop" signals can travel through the air via RF or weirder? We have a light switch ... on another circuit .... that detunes (mutes) the broadcast TV for a moment,

Reaching back through the mists of my personal antiquity, I seem to remember that in the 1960s Crown installed an anti-pop circuit on one of their power switches on some non-amplifier component (prob sx or cx tape deck) .... I was told about it by either Klipsch or JBL.

To rephrase your problem...

You have your music playing and it sounds fine. Your equipment starts up and shuts down fine. The ONLY time you hear this POP is when the bathroom OR the kitchen OR the bedroom fans are switched on/off? None of the popping has to do with turning any of your stereo equipment on/off?

Question.... can you get a 20/50/100 foot extension cord to plug your system into another outlet somewhere else that you KNOW is not on the circuit of these fans?

I don't know why I'm asking that, I just am!

Once the electrical guru's figure this one out, I'll lay this one on them: New thread "Bathroom light"

Back to Dylani's problem

Well, I could but the WAF factor does not like the long orange cord running across the floor to basement. I guess I could cut through the floor and run off another outlet.

Then again, if I am going to go to that much trouble why not put in a new dedicated breaker?

I have all of my amps and pre amp going into a line conditioner now. Are you saying lift the ground that is in the wall outlet?

Thanks

No.

All the outlets going to the line conditionershould have their grounds lifted. The power conditioner is the only component that should be grounded. All of the other grounds should "floated" and allowed to seek their own level.

Sometimes polarity can cause problems. The power cords/plugs are not always wired correctly. The same goes for the power outlet.You need one of these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=391-150&FTR=outlet%20tester&CFID=4652251&CFTOKEN=72125969

Try reversing the polarity, starting with the component that's giving you the problem (ie: power amp). As a last resort, isolate the ground on the surge protector. After that also try reversing the polarity on the power conditioner.

And then of course, there's the recent increase in the sun's solar flare activity.

Well, I could but the WAF factor does not like the long orange cord running across the floor to basement. I guess I could cut through the floor and run off another outlet.

This was asked for testing purposes only along with my question that never was answered about slowly flipping the switches.

Then again, if I am going to go to that much trouble why not put in a new dedicated breaker?

My idea was not intended to be long term... even 10 minutes would be long enough. Just a diagnostic to see if the problem happens when your stereo is knowingly plugged into a different circuit. If problem goes away then maybe the real problem is something with your fans. If the problem persists, maybe the problem is somewhere in your system.

Just throwing spagetti onto the wall