PWK

• Klipsch Employees

If I have done the math correct, to day would have been PWK's 106th birthday. It hits me as a bit strange to wish someone that has passed a happy birthday. Therefore, I pause for a moment to remember Paul and what he gave this world. Not only the gift of all his gadgets, but the wisdom and wit that he showed every day.

I remember meeting Paul as a young man. I was maybe 15 at the time. He shook my hand all the time asking himself, "Cannon, Cannon, I think I remember a Cannon once from long ago, guess you're not him." I quote, but that is the way I remember it.

As I look back, I ponder the thought of the Cannon that Paul was talking about could have been my Grandfather Arvis Cannon Sr. "Papa" as we called him, worked for the rail road. He managed the gangs that built many of the tussles and bridges across Arkansas and the surrounding states. Paul loved trains; maybe they had things in common. Papa was in the area at the time Paul would have been at the S.W.A.P.G.

As you listen to your Klipsch products, remember Paul and the rest of the team that made this product possible and know that we all want to up hold the history that Paul W. Klipsch gave us.

Thanks Paul!

R.I.P.

• Moderators

It hits me as a bit strange to wish someone that has passed a happy birthday.

I think it's ok. We can be happy for all he gave us, and happy he had such a long and fulfilling life. We should all be so lucky.

Happy Birthday, Paul! [<:o)]

• Moderators

It's not possible, but if everyone could accomplish as much as PWK did in his lifetime the world would be a better place.

Happy Birthday PWK, you made many people happy with your inventions.

Happy Birthday Mr. PWK!!!! [<:o)] [^] [<:o)] [G] [<:o)]

I never got the chance to meet him in person but his creations continue to give my gf and I hours of listening enjoyment and that will last for many years to come.

Thank you for the love and passion that you put into your ideals to make them a reality for me to enjoy.

James

BTW, was there a favorite song that he liked to play? Would be cool to get and be able to shear with everyone to play on his birthday.

Trey, et al,

For those of us fortunate and privileged to meet PWK, we might on his birthday tell our "Meeting PWK for the first time" story.

For me it was early 1966. I wrote PWK asking for plans so I could build my own Klipschorn. His written reply was, to paraphrase, "You'd be better off digging ditches for two bits and hour and saving up for a tried and tested product rather than try to build one yourself." Boy, did that deflate my self-esteem!

Not to be deterred, I built a pair of Klipch Shorthorns from some plans in a loudspeaker book. It had Altec 511's with Altec squawker drivers. I don't remember if it had a tweeter. With a modified Stromberg-Carlson PA amp, a Dynaco preamp, AR XA turntable with some flavor of a Shure cartridge, I was in Hi-Fi heaven!

BTW, according to PWK there is no such thing as "high-fidelity" only fidelity and infidelity.

PWK and I corresponded over the ensuing years and I finally met him in Little Rock around 1974 where I worked for a Klipsch dealer. At 6'-3" or so, he was an imposing figure and I remember him striding up to me, grabbing my hand and saying, "I'm Paul Klipsch. I assume you know who you are." I'm sure I babbled something unintelligible until I recovered from that introduction!

Lee

I met Paul in 1978 at a dealer in Starkville, MS (MS State is there). I was one of many who fell under his spell that night. He was charming and acerbic at the same time. He dissed a pair of B&W speakers because they were on stands, which he rapped with his cane. I think at that time the cane was a prop; he certainly didn't need it to locomote. We had an all-male audience and his dialog got rather salty.