best small/skinny tower

My buddy is looking for new speakers for his HT/2channel room. Unlike me, he is forced to get something based on size. He saw my KLF20's and said they were WAY too big. What's a good speaker that would suite a dude who's wife won't let him get something big like the 20's?

I'm trying to convince him to go something klipsch, but he is hesitant.

the WF-34's are small. my son wanted them and we went to BB and i saw them and i said you have to move up the the 35's. the 34's are to small

can't comment on the best speaker but the 35's with the xw-500 sub is awesome

The wife may want bookshelves, but add stands to them and you're into floorstanding anyway. Don't know if these are close enough for your friend. Good deal on 3.5s. They're 7 inches shorter than KLF 20s, 1 1/2 " thinner, and 5 1/2" less deep. They put out very good bass given their size. I dunno, a mid 90's pair might be too old for what he wants......?

I use a pair of DefTech BP7006 for the living room, strictly two channel use. They are quite slender and attractive, in a Space Odyssey 2001 monolith sense. Their strength is imaging prowess (if you like the bipolar thing, that is), but they do require lots of room to breathe (min 2' from rear wall). They have built in subs of questionable quality (they claim to go below 20hz, but the only measurements I've seen show considerable distortion below 40hz or so...my forte II's crush them for bass accuracy, for example), but you can get away without separate subs. That being said, they do create a very deep soundstage, they don't sound boxy at all, high SAQ (spousal acceptance quotient), small in stature yet reasonably full range. Their spatial imaging prowess works well for two channel use. They are efficient and easy to drive (even compatible with my fussy SET amps, if you can believe that...SET holography w/ bipolars is pretty cool.) Unfortunately, DT controls pricing so they typically aren't inexpensive.

I've had the WF-35's for about 6 months and they are really great for my listening environment and preference, plus they look like a million bucks, so should satisfy the WAF. I don't always use a sub, but YMMV.

I recently bought XF-48's and although they are a different animal, I'm currently liking them more than the WF-35's. The XF-48's are really discounted now, I had been curious about them and couldn't pass up the price. In fact I went ahead and bought a a XL-23 Center and have XB-10 surrounds on order to build another smallish HT system.

I've also been curious about the F-2's but have enough newer stuff to play around with for a while.

Just some thoughts...

• Moderators

What's a good speaker that would suite a dude who's wife won't let him get something big like the 20's?

Stick out tongue

I couldn't find the "grow a set" emoticon.

That's funny,.........I would bet there are plenty of "decorations" in that room, and a nice shoe and clothes collection in her closet ! [:o]

Tell him sell some of that stuff and get what he really wants. [6] It's easy to say when it's not me. [;)]

My buddy is looking for new speakers for his HT/2channel room. Unlike me, he is forced to get something based on size. He saw my KLF20's and said they were WAY too big. What's a good speaker that would suite a dude who's wife won't let him get something big like the 20's?

Tell him to check out the RF-15's which are still around (check Ebay, Craig's List, etc.). They're much skinnier than the KLF-20's, and a bit less tall and deep as well. They are capable of amazing sound for their size.

+ a million on the RF-15s!

I loved mine when I had them. Such a fantastic little speaker. They didn't have gobs of bass like the speakers I use now do, but they were also significantly less than 1/2 the size of my current speakers. Besides, the bass could be eq'd enough to sound just right. I picked mine up off the bay for around 450 many years ago, but eventually sold them. There are days when I wish I still had them...

If size is an issue, floor mounted Heresys don't take up much room. Towers, even small ones tend to dominate a room. The low Heresys open up a small room a little bit. Along those lines there are still a nice pair of new Lacewood Heresys on e-bay for 1100 bucks, grab them quick.

Thanx, Russ

Its not a Klipsch but I've heard the Totem Arro a few times and it is quite impressive for such a thin tower (6" x 40" or so).....

I'll second that. I've heard them at a local dealer a few times and was blown away at the sound coming out those slim towers... and they look even smaller in person. Very nice bass too.

• 2 weeks later...

Its not a Klipsch but I've heard the Totem Arro a few times and it is quite impressive for such a thin tower (6" x 40" or so).....

I'll second that. I've heard them at a local dealer a few times and was blown away at the sound coming out those slim towers... and they look even smaller in person. Very nice bass too.

I'll third that. I owned a pair for a few years back and they consistently impressed me, to a point where I'm considering buying another set. Within their limitations, they're one of my favorites and a great value. The Sttaf's are nice as well, a bit more relaxed in their presentation and easier to drive.

If size is an issue, floor mounted Heresys don't take up much room. Towers, even small ones tend to dominate a room. The low Heresys open up a small room a little bit. Along those lines there are still a nice pair of new Lacewood Heresys on e-bay for 1100 bucks, grab them quick. Thanx, Russ

Yep. My GF hated my KG 2.5s on the stands. My H1s although taking up about the same footprint, seem to take up much less space because they are only 21" tall; vs. 36" or more......

And I guarantee they will sound so good.........

Good luck!

Not to be flamed here, but my Polk Monitor 70's perform well in their current role. They were originally my mains when my KLF-20's were in a dedicated 2 channel set up. As my surrounds they are very clean in sound reproductions in movies. For just music, my preference is Klispch, but as an option - directly in his price range - he might consider the Monitor 70's. I have passed on KSP-S6's as surrounds because I like my Monitors so much. It is very likely I will keep these until I find a another set of 20's - and then I'll use these as rears. Very nice capable speakers in my opinion - for many listeners.