Additional speaker recommendations for 9.2

CodeeCB

Good evening!

I am in the process of adding the front height channels for a 9.2 setup, and am hoping somebody can point me in the right direction as far as speaker choice goes for the 2 additional front speakers?

First off, my current setup consists of

Receiver - Onkyo TX-NR3007

Center - Ref IV RC52

Front L/R - Rev IV RF82s

Sides - RS-42s

Backs - RS-42s

Sub 1 - Sub12

Sub 2 - RW 12d

Now, I can't seem to find much/any official documentation on what type of speakers should be used for those 2 additional front channels (direct, bipole, dipole). Can somebody who has experience with a 9.2 setup give me some suggestions please? Would it be best to get speakers from the same series of speakers or would it not be much of a difference? for example, a pair of RS-42s to match my current side/backs cost about $275-300 shipped or I could also pickup a pair of ws-24s for $300 but i'm not sure if its "ok" to mix different speaker lines like that...

Thanks for any and all help/ideas/suggestions guys - I really appreciate it!

While I agree with Wuzzer about the center channel... more specifically to you question it depends on whether or not you are going Front Wide or Front High. For front wide channels... ideally they should be the same as your main front speakers. For front height channels, they should be in the same family (though, I went with a distant cousin for mine). Your front height should not be dipole/bipole speakers and probably should be direct radiating... RB-81 or the like.

Those RB-81s are pretty massive - im not sure how i'd get those mounted properly? I could see if my friend could create a mount to get them secured to the ceiling through the bottom mounts of the speaker. Any others in the same family of speakers you would suggest?

Thanks again

I am looking for front high, as the actual area/wall the tv is on is a little smaller then the rest of the room due to it being next to a bathroom so front wide would be unnoticeable i believe....I can easily run wire into the ceiling so im hoping to get speakers that are mountable as well?

Regarding the RB-81's... that is EXACTLY why I did not go that route. I went with the XB-10's. Not in the ref lineup... and do not look the same, but they do get out of the way as they are small. I believe they work well as front high speakers and am pleased with them. Though, I did not admittedly try anything else in their place. Best of luck to you. 7.2 or 5.1 arguably sounds very similar and just as good in most set-ups on most material. The 9.2 is probably only good on a handful of places for a few seconds in a few movies. Just my opinion.

• Moderators

I have to agree that you would likely benefit more from an external amp (if your receiver has preouts) or upgrading to the RC-62 than you would by adding 2 additional speakers. But if that's what you want to do, I just listed a pair of RB-35's with speaker mounts (link in my signature).