Trying to get deeper bass, add a 3rd sub?

CodeeCB

Good evening!

My home theatre room is in my basement, which means a carpeted cement floor, and 2 of the walls are exterior so they are the big cinder blocks...both of which have a big impact on bass as far as I can tell. When I had my main setup on a 2nd floor with no cement around the room at all, 1 sub was more then sufficient but now by being in a basement, even 2 subs+decent speakers can't seem to pump out much rumbling. I have 2 subs currently (sub12 and RW12d) and i am looking to add a 3rd. I have tried to adjust them as much as possible to have a deep but not punchy sound to them and I am still not satisfied. The room in question is approximately 15x30, with the couch being in the center of the room (15' away from the tv) - do you guys think 2 subs should be more then enough or would 3 seem reasonable? furthermore should I be trying to have all of the same subs or is mixing+matching ok? I can get a good deal on a few different subs currently (XW-500d for $400, RW12d $279, and a SW450 for $180)

Also, I am slightly confused by the 2 subs I have currently because it seems the lowerend/cheaper sub (the sub12) has deeper bass output then the RW12d does - does that seem right or do i have some other factors at play here? I'm basically looking for what will integrate the best and get me the most impact with my current system.

Thanks for any help and ideas, I greatly appreciate it!

The middle of a room is the worst area to sit as far as bass is concerned - you're sitting in a null. If you divide your room in 1/3s and sit either 1/3 of the way from the front or 1/3 of the way from the back you'll no doubt hear/feel quite a bit more bass. Adding more subs won't help.

What you are missing sitting on a concret slab is the "tactile" experience of feeling the low notes through the floor. Set up your listening position on a 2x4 stud sub-floor and it will be back. I have a friend with a KILLER basement 7.2 system & he has the same problem.

I tend to agree with wuzzer. Play some bass heavy material at a fairly loud level. Walk slowly around the room and you'll notice places where the bass is loud and other places where it's much quieter. More than likely you've put your subs where they look good as opposed to where they perform their best in that room. I've even seen cases where subwoofers cancel each other out due to placement issues.

deeper? Like more Bass below 40Hz? or Louder?

I'm lookin for more "noticeable" bass. I can feel+hear it no problem upstairs, the water in the toilet bowl vibrates on the 2nd floor...so i'm thinking along the lines of you guys that it has a lot to do with my placement and not so much my subs/settings themselves...I'm going to try to move around the room and find the "Sweet spot" tomorrow

What you are missing sitting on a concret slab is the "tactile" experience of feeling the low notes through the floor. Set up your listening position on a 2x4 stud sub-floor and it will be back. I have a friend with a KILLER basement 7.2 system & he has the same problem.

This would actually be a fairly easy option for me to do. Are you referring to having that half of the room on a floating floor like that or just the actual listening area where the chairs are located?

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Buy A Peavey Kosmos V2, and hook it up, you'll get some deeper bass I promise you..............

Not in a room null, In addition, an amp won't give you any deeper bass if the sub/box will not support it. The RW-12d falls flat on it's face after 25hz or so and chuffs and creaks like crazy at that point.

Well I only purchase top of the line reference gear, so when I hook a Peavey Kosmos V2 in the loop it gives a sub hamonic one level down from the source material...period! So if you are trying to squeeze grape juice out of a lemon, than throw the lemon away and buy something that will handle lower frequencies. And calibrate the room, and add room correction foam. Then you can study recording and make your own music like I do. Instead of sitting on your bumm and just listening to other peoples music.

so when I hook a Peavey Kosmos V2 in the loop it gives a sub hamonic one level down from the source material...period!

Are you saying that this "box" creates material that is not in the source? If so, why would you want something that the producer/mixer never intended to be there in the first place?

See there's the box that you can't seem to break out of. The creator of the source naterial is not a GOD. You as an individual can change anything to make it better suit your taste. That's why myself being a musician can listen to something and decide what I want to do with it to make it better. But I guess if all you have as a hobbist is equipment that makes you just a listener. Well probably better that people with limited creativity just stand in the shadows an listen.....rather than create, or edit someone elses source material. You see I have more than one hobby, I have a full blown music studio in my home and also use to collect stereo equipment. So I like to combine the two, and tweak around, create, change, modify. If on the other hand you result to simply trying to exactly re-create a musicians work of art. Well keep it "simple...man"

But I guess if all you have as a hobbist is equipment that makes you just a listener. Well probably better that people with limited creativity just stand in the shadows an listen.....rather than create, or edit someone elses source material.

Err... welcome to the forum?

Adding subharmonics might enhance source material that needs it, might bloat source material that doesn't, but probably won't help if he is sitting in a room null. Try moving around the room first, with only one sub playing at a time to start.