tubes are evil

dtel

• Moderators

[6] They make you want things you do not need, they are the enemy !

OK I tried to ignore tubes for years but one broke in anyway. Surprise Captmobley was in the area and was nice enough to come by.

That's when it happened, he came in with a little box under his arm, he had brought in a little tube amp, I had no idea he was going to bring it. My plan to not hear a tube amp in a familiar setting was shot in the butt, it was a "Miniwatt amp" which is a little bigger than a chip amp and a whopping 2.5 watts !

He connected it to some Forte ll's because it was the only speakers in the living room that had crossovers in them,[:S] I would have loved to be able to connect it to the MWM's but couldn't.

I have heard these Forte's with a HK 930 but even that didn't sound like this little amp, very clear, clean and just a really nice overall sound. You have to realize the Forte's were just placed on the floor about 8' apart and not close to a wall or perfectly angled and they still had a impressive sound, I had to keep reminding myself this was just Forte ll's, it sounded that good.

I have a long list of things I want/need and after years of looking the other way......I guess I have to add some type of tube amp to that list......but forget the LP thing, that would never fly " again" with the wife, i am not going to press my luck.

Thanks Captmobley for taking the time to stop by, and as much as I hate to say it bringing a tube amp for me to have a listen, in my room and speakers which makes it much easier to get an idea of the sound.

Thanks................i guess [;)] [:'(]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i hear ya, made the same mistake....really was only "dipping my toe" into this tube thing by picking up a used Jolida 102b. What's the harm in that?

Well crap! I had to listen to my whole library again to see what I'd been missing. Did switch back to SS for a little while but couldn't stick with it. Now saving my pennies for something a little further away from entry level, no hurry though, the research is half the fun![Y]

Yes, they are evil.

I have a friend who has turned to the dark side. He started with some Stromberg Karlson, (I think I spelled that right) mono-blocks and has just picked up a sweet little Jolida integrated.

He has accumulated quite a mass of various tubes and is always on the lookout for more.

I fear there is no hope for him.

Tom

YEP! Tubes will do that to ya.

I'll cuss them, spend my allowance, burn my fingers, and keep looking for the "magic wand" of hot glass to get one more note or a little more midrange.

The next thing I know I've switched speakers or even cables and start all over rolling the same old tubes trying to match it all up again for optimum sound.

It is fun but tubes do have an evil side. LOL!

Harry

"Someone" made a statement that said "We live in the midrange". I was never able to relate to that statement until recently as I have moved over to a three-way speaker and tubes. This is where it's at and this is the real deal. It's like everything else I've had in the past was fulfilling to me but now I hear that it was just an imitation of the "real thing"........tubes sound so realistic it freaky sometimes.

Devil They make you want things you do not need, they are the enemy !

OK I tried to ignore tubes for years but one broke in anyway. Surprise Captmobley was in the area and was nice enough to come by.

That's when it happened, he came in with a little box under his arm, he had brought in a little tube amp, I had no idea he was going to bring it. My plan to not hear a tube amp in a familiar setting was shot in the butt, it was a "Miniwatt amp" which is a little bigger than a chip amp and a whopping 2.5 watts !

He connected it to some Forte ll's because it was the only speakers in the living room that had crossovers in them,Tongue Tied I would have loved to be able to connect it to the MWM's but couldn't.

I have heard these Forte's with a HK 930 but even that didn't sound like this little amp, very clear, clean and just a really nice overall sound. You have to realize the Forte's were just placed on the floor about 8' apart and not close to a wall or perfectly angled and they still had a impressive sound, I had to keep reminding myself this was just Forte ll's, it sounded that good.

I have a long list of things I want/need and after years of looking the other way......I guess I have to add some type of tube amp to that list......but forget the LP thing, that would never fly " again" with the wife, i am not going to press my luck.

Thanks Captmobley for taking the time to stop by, and as much as I hate to say it bringing a tube amp for me to have a listen, in my room and speakers which makes it much easier to get an idea of the sound.

Thanks................i guess Wink [:'(]

Dtel you and Christy have an open invitation to our home any time you are in New Orleans, just let us know when you would like to come. Then you can have a real listen to tubes (SET Amp) and Vtracs.

Jay

He connected it to some Forte ll's because it was the only speakers in the living room that had crossovers in them,Tongue Tied I would have loved to be able to connect it to the MWM's but couldn't.

Dtel you and Christy have an open invitation to our home any time you are in New Orleans, just let us know when you would like to come. Then you can have a real listen to tubes (SET Amp) and Vtracs.

Jay

And records : )

It's been by experience that the very best in terms of freak-you-out realism comes by the most impractical micro power amps. The pp types I've heard were very nice, but essentially ss in character, where the shock-and-awe dynamic contrasts and exploded soundstage is a realm wholly owned by the SETs. Of course I've only heard a few.

Sure makes me happy that Klipsch speakers exist...lovin the forte ii recently acquired...without which my poor sets would be far more challenging to get into. Hooray, Klipsch!

Well, now that you have seen the "light" (i.e. the wonderful, heart warming glow of the vacuum tube!!!), why not consider building your own amp? With most Klipsch speakers, a couple of watts is more than enough for most listening, and such an amp can be built for very modest cost. In my experience, single ended amps (whether triode or pentode) are an incredible match for everything from K-horns to RF-15's!

AV receiver

Jumbo receiver

SS separates from the Big 5

SS separates McIntosh! (Nirvana, finally)

SS separates from High End (OMG, what was I thinking?)

Bigger SS amplifiers (Now, we're talking son!)

Biggest SS amplifier!

Bi-Amping with biggest SS amplifiers! (This must be "it")

Switch to Pro Amps

Bigger Pro Amps! (Man, this is life!)

Biggest possible Pro Amps!

Biggest Possible Pro Amps X 6 (Man, wait till you hear this!)

Scott 222C accidentally arrives (WTF? Are you kiddin' me???)

Antique Tube Separates (A Revelation!)

McIntosh Tube Separates! ( A Mystic Revelation!)

High End Tube Separates! (Gawd, where has this stuff been hiding?)

First $200 12AX7! (I've died and gone to heaven!)

Tube MonoBlocks!

Bi-Amped Tube amps!

An S.E.T for the tweeters (OMG!!! Who knew 1.5 watts could sound like this??!?!?)

An 845 amp full-range! (This is it! Finally, the search has ended!)

Thousands of dollars in tubes later (Ouch! This is getting costly!)

A Jumbo reciever (Well, ya know, it's just about the music.)

They'll have to pry my SET amps from my hot burning fingers before I'd give them up...........well maybe an OTL might be nice......

"McIntosh Tube Separates! ( A Mystic Revelation!)

High End Tube Separates! (Gawd, where has this stuff been hiding?)"

I knooooooooooooooooow[H]

But they are anything but evil, costs to the wallet aside. Tubes are BEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUTIFUL, and I quite frankly cannot understand the characterization of "the dark side". Tubes are the sunny side of the street as far as I'm concerned[8-|]

Or to quote Howard Beale:

It's not a religious feeling at all. It's a shocking eruption of great electrical energy. I feel vivid and flashing, as if suddenly I'd been plugged into some great electromagnetic field. I feel connected to all living things. To flowers, birds, all the animals of the world. And even to some great, unseen, living force. What I think the Hindus call prana.......It is a shattering and beautiful sensation. It is the exalted flow of the space-time continuum, save that it is spaceless and timeless and......of such loveliness.

[A]

Dtel and Christy,thanx much for the hospitality-I really enjoyed the visit-I guess I'll never be asked over again!LOL-I guess I opened up a big ole can of worms .

If Klipsch speakers are addictive(and they are, boy oh boy, they are), tubes are good for an immediate trip to rehab!

Jay

And records : )

OhYes records and master tapes too!!!

Jay