Klipsch: Any Plans to build a complementary subwoofer for the Heritage Series?

o0O Bill O0o

It crossed my mind for years and years. Back when I first heard about subwoofers, I went to the stores.... told the guys I had LaScalas and got blank stares. They'd show me something with maybe a 10" driver.... and I'd ask them if it would keep up with the output of my LaScalas. I got more blank stares as they had no idea what I had.

Finally I decided if I wanted to shake the floors, I'd just turn my EV's on (-3db @ 28hz). With my EV's, I never really felt the urge/need to acquire a subwoofer.

One time, it crossed my mind.... could I somehow bypass the midrange/tweeter in the EV's and simply blend in the woofers and use them as a make shift sub.

Never tried that.

I think one big problem with LaScalas, Klipschorns and even worse, Jubilees.... you've got to have a serious subwoofer if you want to have something that will keep up and play clean with those speakers.

I think one big problem with LaScalas, Klipschorns and even worse, Jubilees.... you've got to have a serious subwoofer if you want to have something that will keep up and play clean with those speakers.

yeah, I almost want to take a pair of Klipsch's cinema subs and try them out.

The internet always recommends Danley or SVS or Elemental Designs.. while as good as they are I am brand loyal and I want a pair of Klipsch Subwoofers to match my Heritage series loudspeakers

See there is the Palladium Sub, the THX home subs, and the reference series subs, but no matching Heritage subs. At least take the Cinema subs and put an amp and a veneer on them an pass that as a sub.

DISCONTINUED

Arguably the most powerful commercial subwoofer ever made. It truly defines the phrase “you had to be there to believe it”. This is a no-hold’s-barred answer to what we think is the best sub-bass performance in the world.

Yet, it is discontinued.[:'(] The conquest not the empire. The loss of such a monster is truly lamentable.

I know just about every one of your line-ups have subwoofers- minus the Heritage. I know there was no subwoofer back then. but has the thought crossed your mind?

HA....thats funny....we've been asking Klipsch for years(since I joined) if they will ever compliment the Heritage line with a proper subwoofer, with a nudda, and I bet it goes back before my time, so we all keep dreamin.....some day....OH YES....some day....

Not a Klipsch sub, but I like a folded horn sub for folded horn speakers, they just sound like a better match to me, Danely type design. IMO

Sure that might match in terms of design. However, I've read in at least two recording reference books ( forgot the names @ Borders/Barnes&Noble - Music section) that a speaker's or subwoofer's design should not be a factor when considering a playback or recording system. That the resultant SOUND was the main factor. in Auto terms, a sub 13 second quarter-mile car is a sub 13 second quarter-mile car no matter what the design. Which I found enlightening or revealing, since I have always fought back and forth to what design is better. The answer is-what ever subwoofer/speaker that makes the best sound, regardless of design, is what should go with your playback system. That said, Klipsch should make what-ever sub size/design that matches the Heritage series. i.e. +/-3 dBs, 20-120Hz 104 db/w/m, max output 123dBs.

Are you looking for something made with a Heritage moniker or just quality sub(s) made by Klipsvh that will keep up the bigger horn loaded LS/KH. If the latter a pair of these with their repective amp will do the job very easily. I listened to these mated to 3 LS and 2 BK at the Indy Pilgrimage in 06 (I think) and they cleared out the front row of listeners when the depth charges went off.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/kw-120-thx-specifications/

Are you looking for something made with a Heritage moniker or just quality sub(s) made by Klipsvh that will keep up the bigger horn loaded LS/KH. If the latter a pair of these with their repective amp will do the job very easily. I listened to these mated to 3 LS and 2 BK at the Indy Pilgrimage in 06 (I think) and they cleared out the front row of listeners when the depth charges went off.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/kw-120-thx-specifications/

Good recommendation. Lets see- $1500 for Sub one, $1500 for Sub two and $1500 for the amplifier. $4500 (!) for the THX Ultra2 Subwoofer System. Which actually puts it inline with the price point of brand new heritage speakers. There aren't many dual subwoofer systems at this price point that reach "130dB @ 30Hz, 122dB @ 20Hz, 112dB @ 15Hz 1/8 space, 1m (2 enclosures side-by-side per THX Ultra2)" and "20-200Hz +/-3dBs" ..and by 1/8 space a non-technical term would be "in the corner" With all that corner gain, I wonder who else can compete?

• Moderators

Not a Klipsch sub, but I like a folded horn sub for folded horn speakers, they just sound like a better match to me, Danely type design. IMO

Sure that might match in terms of design. However, I've read in at least two recording reference books ( forgot the names @ Borders/Barnes&Noble - Music section) that a speaker's or subwoofer's design should not be a factor when considering a playback or recording system. That the resultant SOUND was the main factor. in Auto terms, a sub 13 second quarter-mile car is a sub 13 second quarter-mile car no matter what the design. Which I found enlightening or revealing, since I have always fought back and forth to what design is better. The answer is-what ever subwoofer/speaker that makes the best sound, regardless of design, is what should go with your playback system. That said, Klipsch should make what-ever sub size/design that matches the Heritage series. i.e. +/-3 dBs, 20-120Hz 104 db/w/m, max output 123dBs.

Your probably right, I was going by sound, to me the folded horn sub sounds like a better fit with the folded horn mains I use, compared to the ported 12" sub I blew up trying to keep up with the MWM's.

I built something very similar to the Danley "spud", two 8" drivers and it can keep up with the MWM bass bins, in a house situitation. They have a model that is the same design but with two 10" or it might even be 12", a couple of forum members have them and they go down to 10hz with all the volume you could want.

They say the folded horn design is easier to get better preformance from just because of the design, I don't know, but I do like mine and will probably build another.