Heresy Woofer Pops

CapZark

I just purchased a pair of Heresys and noticed that the woofers pop when you really put the coals to them and bring in the bass. If I pull down the bass they can go to the moon and sound great. Question - I'm used to K-horns and La Scalas and they dont pop at all. I realize it's probably both the design and the the fact that the Herseys are 12" drivers. Do the Cornwalls do the same thing or do they hold up well to lots of power like the La Scalas and the K-horns do? I'm wondering if I should swap out the Heresys for some Cornwalls to eliminate the popping at high volume levels?

I have HIIIs. I can't imagine running them so load that a woofer would pop. I power mine with a Parasound Halo A21 amp and I crank them up loud. No such problem here. I think my HIIIs would blow my head off my shoulders before the woofers would pop.

My question would be the same as that posed above. What are you powering them with?

"he woofers pop when you really put the coals to them and bring in the
bass. "

Why would anyone buy a bigger speaker if a little thing like the Heresy could kick it out like the Klipschorn?

Buy an electronic crossover and add a subwoofer, I used to use 4 JBL pro 15s with a Heresy. Puts K-horns to sleep.

He is simply overdriving them with TOO much bass contour added in. Turn the bass control to flat, cross them at 80Hz and up and use a subwoofer or subwoofers as DJK suggested and you can run them until your amplifier runs out of current and not bottom the woofer out.

I'm running everything with a 1979 Pioneer SX-1980 (270 watts RMS). Popping occurs before I am at the 10 o'clock position, but by then it's pretty loud (50+watts easy). The comment about the tripping breaker is interesting because that's already happended twice since I hooked them up and both times at a much lower power level (the Pioneer has an internal breaker). Something tells me the woofs may be played, but they both do it?? My other thought is that these speakers can only handle so much and I am just driving them to too hard with too much bass. The tripping seems to have stopped since I tightend some of the connections.

I have 1980 H1s.

I would reccommend what another poster did; set your bass contour to flat.

In stereo (2 channel), I have been able to make the whole apartment shake. (I had to double check that my sub was not active, it was not).

I will add some (+2db) bass contour if listening at low volumes; but otherwise I run them flat, with a bit of midrange cut down(-3db).....

Also, if you make sure the backs are tight (I used weatherstripping before reinstalling), you will not need to add so much bass..... It made a big difference!

All this being said; it is possible yours have been driven very hard and could benefit from new woofers......

Good luck....

Thanks, I think you an Frz are on the right track with the Heresys. Does anyone think I would experience the same problem with the Cornwalls or can they handle more bass at higher volumes? No reason to upgrade there if I am going to experience the same issue. Sounds like I need a good sub instead. I'm getting lots of good advice on subs from my other thread. I appreciate the discussion and help.

I checked everything out and took the advice here of sealing the back of the cabs. They can actually handle a little more when they are sealed up tight. Looks like I am just over driving them with too much bass dailed in. I guess every speaker has its limits. These Heresys do pair nice as satellite or surround speakers for my La Scallas. Its amazing how much louder the LS are though at the same power setting. It's a good lesson on speaker sensitivity. Heresys are a nice balance between sound, size and appearance.