Heresys on Stands?

russ69

I'm sitting here listening to my H3 and I'm wondering if I have ever given the Heresys a fair evaluation. I have an excellent front end running this secondary system. I'm wondering if anybody has stand mounted a pair of Heresys and got them out in the room and exploited them as much as possible. As I sit here with my system they are sounding very sweet but I wonder if there is even more to be had? Has anybody ever put their best gear up front and worked them hard?

Thanx, Russ

I supsect if you get them off the floor, you will lose some bottom-end, but there is really only one way to find out.

Me I woudn't even thinking of putting ANY gear into play in my house without putting it through it paces. Fiddling's part of the fun, part of the challenge, and part of the pleasure of this hobby.

I'm sitting here listening to my H3 and I'm wondering if I have ever given the Heresys a fair evaluation. I have an excellent front end running this secondary system. I'm wondering if anybody has stand mounted a pair of Heresys and got them out in the room and exploited them as much as possible. As I sit here with my system they are sounding very sweet but I wonder if there is even more to be had? Has anybody ever put their best gear up front and worked them hard?

Thanx, Russ

Russ, just in 2 channel alone no subwoofer, with any speaker, one will achieve a better stereo image and sound quality when moved away from boundaries. This is validated by many. Just start with Harmanaudio.com, jblpro.com, and dolby.com. These companies have the greatest bias towards achieving great playback sound versus making money. The continue with anything from Sean Olive, Floyd Toole, and Earl Geddes. I urge to to google these references, I learned a great deal. Beyond that the library has some hard core sound physics books.. okay nuff said about that. Have you ever considered an active crossover around 80-100Hz and properly positioned pair(non-stereo) of powered subwoofers? That way you can pull the heresies into the room, get great sound, and still keep that low end extension?

Not to throw too much gasoline on the fire - I notice that a couple of folks here don't own KHorns or Jubs. That may be a clue to their own opinions offered. Here's another opinion...

Dope from Hope

Toe-in of Loudspeakers and Stereo Geometry
Vol. 15, No.2, 01 August, 1975, pg. 2

"...The conclusion is pretty obvious. Whether you are using KLIPSCHORN loudspeakers, or speakers of some other make or type, you will get best stereo geometry and best tonality with corner placement of the flanking speakers (whether you use a center speaker or not), and the corner placement should be with the flanking speakers toed-in at 45 degrees.

1. Electrical Engineering, Vol. 58, No.1, pp 9-82, 214-219.
2. W. B. Snow, "Basic Principles of Stereophonic Sound", J. Soc. Motion Picture &. TV Engineers, Vol. 61, 1953, pp 567-589.
3. Paul W. Klipsch, "Stereo Geometry Tests", IRE Trans on Audio, Vol. AU 10, No.6, pp 174-176, Nov.-Dec. 1962.
4. Paul W. Klipsch, "Stereophonic Sound With Two Tracks, Three Channels by Means of. Phantom Circuit", J. Audio Eng. Soc., Vol. 6, No.2, April 1958, pp 118-128.

(PWK)"

Cask05, I hope you meant that in good humor. Most of those refs are ~50 years old.

If you have Klipschorn's you do not have much of choice, it has to go in the corner OR build false corners.. if one doesn't want to spend money and get the most bass-sure corner placement, but that doesn't sound the best.

I also recommend Sound anchors for stands, they are heavy duty iron frame and stand-filled.

Not to throw too much gasoline on the fire - I notice that a couple of folks here don't own KHorns or Jubs. That may be a clue to their own opinions offered. Here's another opinion...

Dope from Hope

Toe-in of Loudspeakers and Stereo Geometry

Vol. 15, No.2, 01 August, 1975, pg. 2

"...The conclusion is pretty obvious. Whether you are using KLIPSCHORN loudspeakers, or speakers of some other make or type, you will get best stereo geometry and best tonality with corner placement of the flanking speakers (whether you use a center speaker or not), and the corner placement should be with the flanking speakers toed-in at 45 degrees.

1. Electrical Engineering, Vol. 58, No.1, pp 9-82, 214-219.

2. W. B. Snow, "Basic Principles of Sterephonlc Sound", J. Soc. Motion Picture &. TV Engineers, Vol. 61, 1953, pp 567-589.

3. Paul W. Kllpsch, "Stereo Geometry Tests", IRE Trans on Audio, Vol. AU 10, No.6, pp 174-176, Nov.-Dec. 1962.

4. Paul W. Kllpsch, "Stereophonic Sound With Two Tracks, Three Channels by Means of. Phantom Circuit", J. Audio Eng. Soc., Vol. 6, No.2, April 1958, pp 118-128.

(PWK)"

Does this count as a Heresy stand?

Since is a rear channel in a 7.1 system, low end response is not important, since it is cut off at 80hz. I have tested it direct, & there is a very noticeable loss of bass with it this high.

post-11842-13819555046468_thumb.jpg

post-11842-13819570341374_thumb.jpg

Cask05, I hope you meant that in good humor.

I'm always in good humor [;)]

Most of those refs are ~50 years old.

Easy there, Pard.. I chose those references purposefully- you might consider that the Heresy was designed and marketed by the guy referenced. I'll also mention that his audio career was devoted to a set of principles, some of which are referenced there. Note that we still reference Beranek and Olson as sources in the subject--in my opinion, same, too, with PWK.

I have Toole's book and have read it. It is an excellent work but I'd recommend "reading carefully": I've seen folks take away messages that I don't read.

Chris

Has anyone made a stand/pedistal for a Heresy that looks something like Cyclone's but built a sub into it for the low end support? I would think that something like would get the Heresy off of the floor with the benifits that it may afford and also make it a true full range set up.

My new H3s were delivered about a month ago. Wonderful speakers. I am really enjoying them.

My 2-channel rig is located in our living room. We are limited on space in this room (which is why I chose the H3s over the CW3s). We have chairs, a sofa, various tables and nick-nacks etc. in the room. These items are obstructive when I run the H3s when seated on the floor. That was the first thing I noticed upon initially listening to the speakers.

Therefore, I purchased two 24 inch high end tables which I now seat my H3s on. They sit on each side of the sofa with no obstructions.

Obviously, speaker sound is subjective to the indvidual listener. However, to my ears, my H3s sound significantly better elevated. Bass loss is not an issue as I utilize a sub in my system.

Has anyone made a stand/pedistal for a Heresy that looks something like Cyclone's but built a sub into it for the low end support? I would think that something like would get the Heresy off of the floor with the benifits that it may afford and also make it a true full range set up.

Yeah. Klipsch did it. It's called the KSP-400! [;)] Heh heh, not a Heresy really...more like a KSP-C6 with a side-firing subwoofer. Actually, it's exactly that.

500x500.aspx

That is more or less what I am talking about. Several manufacturers built pedistals to bring their smaller/shorter speakers to a proper height. Atlantic Technology 8200. Others have buillt into their pedistals offering different configuarations of this. NHT had several models like this and I think M&K also. I would think you could buy a raw driver, sub amp, build a box to spec that matched the Heresy in width and depth so that the H would sit on top. The H is now off of the floor and bass should not be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Cyclone - I love those huge stands, but dropped my cocktail when I saw them based on your intro "do these count as stands...."

I've found the heresy's very different sounding depending on what I've used and even what type of floor. I've had them on 1 foot pedastals and they sounded the "airiest". I now have them on the klipsh designed slanters. They do have more base with those. I've had them on woodfloors, carpeted over a basement and on carpeted concrete. I like them the best on a floor over a basement or crawlspace, seems like the Klipsch slanters better use the floor better in that set up.

I need to refill and clean up my dropped drink now.

• Like 1

However, to my ears, my H3s sound significantly better elevated. Bass loss is not an issue as I utilize a sub in my system.

Exactly what I've experienced. I thought my Heresy's sounded awful on the floor. They're elevated about 18" and I use a single PSB subwoofer--much better sounding to my ears. Theory is fine, but living with what you like best is what it's all about. I have a lot of experience with different speakers, amps and sources, from single-driver full-rangers to electrostatics, from vinyl to DACs, tubes to Tripath, so I have been able to compare. The only long-term constants in my system have been the my Heresy's and my Denon DL-103, which I find kind of amusing, since they're both fairly old designs and represent the very ends of the audio chain.