SPL

zappa883

Borrowed and older analog SPL meter just to see what I can hit and to find out what my follow entusiats are accomplishing. Not out to set any records however what have some of the others hit and using what media.

On my first attempt used Nirvana Unplugged in New York, track 4 "The Man Who Sold The World" and max'd out at 108. The Onkyo wasn't falling apart and or clipping by any means but decided to shut down. My thought is the 120v coming out of the wall where its plugged in along with other components is not sufficient or the Onkyo is so sensitive that it will pick up a slight voltage fluction and say no more.

Anyhow, what kind of DB levels are you guys hitting ????

I used to watch concert dvd's at 110db+ from beginning to end.......wanted the real concert experience. Now, I'm content with maxing out at 95-100db but commonly enjoy levels of 80-85db.

IMHO the playback SPL should be determined by the type of music, and the restraints imposed by the playback system, which IMO includes the room which in most cases has acoustic limitations as well.

Nirvana Unplugged. Doesn't that imply "acoustic"? Even live with the "acoustic" instruments most likely going through some sort of sound reinforcement I can't imagine them reaching 108dB with acoustic guitars.

Peak levels and average levels are two different things. And then there's the compression applied to most recordings (and live situations as well) which doesn't allow for much in the way of "peaks". Tolerating a series of peak SPL is very different from a sustained level of high average SPL, especially if compressed.

With that being said, I've had my system playing loud enough to make a CD player skip. I've also had it up loud enough that when you go outside the light fixtures and siding are audibly vibrating. Put your hand on the patio 20 feet out from the house and you can feel the brick vibrate. Levels in the room were 115-120dB (Jimi Hendrix).

Do I listen to it like that? No. The room can't handle it (not even mine). It just becomes noise at that point. I've had my fill of band rehearsals where the volume gets so loud you loose your balance at times.

Peak levels and average levels are two different things.

I concur with this - however there is also the issue of "A" or "C" scale. I use "C" for determining high SPLs.

...I can't imagine them reaching 108dB with acoustic guitars.

I find that most orchestral music has a natural average loudness point around 92-95 dBC. Any louder, and it doesn't sound natural (trust me - with Jubs there is a tendency to crank it up until it is too loud since it just keeps sounding better and better--at least to me [:D] ).

And then there's the compression applied to most recordings (and live situations as well) which doesn't allow for much in the way of "peaks".

I've noticed that "audiophile" digital sources (since about 1985) can be found that don't seem to use compression - I know this because I tend to turn those recordings up much louder, and enjoy the "realism". Chesky, Sheffield Labs, and DMP recordings seem to be like that.

I've had my system playing loud enough to make a CD player skip.

No, not me, but I've had it up loud enough to where I have to put the dog outside and the cat in another room. I'd say that was 105-107 dBc on the peaks. I can't imagine a steady 110 db "A" environment, that I am told discos will use as their reference "loudness" (...but not with me in the room...).

I also stopped going to loud live music concerts a couple of decades ago (I particularly remember a Genesis concert) - I got very concerned about coming home with my ears ringing or numb for 12-24 hours (or more). I value my ears more than that.

Chris

I agree with most above... I normally listen right about 95-100db, depending on what I am listening to.

A few years ago I purchased a pair of industrial La Scala's for my school. While they were at home, I hooked them up to my Adcom 250wpc amp & set the SPL meter on the sofa where I normally sit (about 10 ft away). I was able to get 126 on a few peaks. I had ear plugs in & was still unable to stay long enough to get a good pic of the meter.