New Vinyl Original Jazz Classics and others

Richard Guba

Folks,

I just opened the first two records of a 4 Lps shipment from accoustic sounds. I went the cheap but new route and got re-issues new sealed. The original jazz classic (OJC) series is owned by Concord Group and it encompases the old Prestige, Riverside, Fantasy, and Contemporary lables. Anyway not wanting to spend 30 plus bucks for a 180 gram record I bought 4 generic light weight LPs. I was truly impressed with Miles Davis: Working with the Miles Davis Quintet which is a Prestige re-isse on OJC. The sound is dead quiet with no pops and Miles and Trane sound like they are in my living room!. I also got Music for Lighthouse Keeping by the Light House all stars. This is on Contempory (re-isse of course) and the original engineer was the legenday Roy DuNann so the sound is also first rate.

The point is I got 4 Lps shipped to my door new sealed for less than 1 audiophile LP. I encourage members of the formum to look at the Concord Group Original Jazz Classics line of Vinyl at about $11-12 each. You can get them from accoustic sounds or direct from concord.

I have not yet listened to Blue Serge (Capital) or Inner Urge, Joe Henderson (Blue Note). These are not Original Jazz Classics and I am a little concerned about the Blue Note since I have read some negative things about the Blue Note re-issue vinyl (not the more expensive 45 rpm stuff.)

As an asside I recently replaced the old stylus on my Shure rxt6 cartidge with the Shure 97Xe stylus that is currently in production. It is an exact fit replacement and was only about $60 versus $190 for a NOS shure N111He. The sound is quite good from my mid 80s pioneer pl-670 Direct Drive from the lowly regarded black plastic era of 1986. With the new shure it sounds sweet to me and it allowed me to get back into LPs at a low cost.

Thanks for the review Richard. I think Gary, aka..."Tigerman" posted something about these albums in the "Right This Minute" thread.

It is good to have another opinion and more music to add to my "wish list". [Y]

Dennie

I have to second this review, I have picked up several of the Prestige and Riverside vinyl distributed by Fantasy. Great recordings for the money. I found any of the vinyl recorded by Rudy Van Gelder is outsanding. If you can find Coleman Hawkins "Night Hawk"grab it, he and Eddie "Lock Jaw" Davis are a wonderful together.

Tom