ATTENTION YAMMIE DSP-A1 OWNERS

RobCurran

Rob, I just bought the DSP-A1 if this is yesterdays standard why is DVD Review still using the DSP-A1 in his preferred setup.

It is still a top of the bill Amp. As long as you can't hear the difference it would be a shame to switch to another amp, think of how may DVD you could buy if you kept the DSP-A1 instead of upgrading to another amp. But speaking of upgrading why not try the HCA-2205A five channel THX cerified Power Amp on the DSP-A1. The A1 offers the option to disconnect the Pre Amp from the Power Amp.

I would choose this option. Have a look on the internetsite from Parasound. You can find more details about their possibilities.

Somebody somewhere say when he connected the Parasound HCA-2205A to the DSP-A1 instead to his Denon he new what he was missing.

Sorry for the Denon Lovers but I stick to my DSP-A1 biggrin.gif

The DSP-A1 doesn't have 5-channel, but I think it has a great 4-channel. Yes, 4-channel stereo.

On Denon's 5-channel stereo, the same signal is sent to all 5 channels, right? The center, mains, and rear effects are all producing the same sound. Well on the DSP-A1, one of the sound field programs (Entertainment-Party) sends the same signal to the mains and rear effects with NO DSP effect. So, is this "more than" 2-channel stereo or does Denon's receiver do something more than just sending like signals to all channels?

Anyways, back to my issue. The DSP-A1 has inputs for an external decoder (so-called "future proof") but the sampling frequency on the my two year-old baby only goes as high as 48kHz! If I use the external decoder inputs for a new piece of gear, let's have fun something that plays HDCD, SACD, DVD-A, and is under $600 smile.gif, will my DSP-A1 properly support these new formats?? Is the sampling freq determined by the Amp, or it's decoders?

rob, the denon 5 or 7 or any 8 (what's that including the sub?) or 9 channel stereo really just uses stereo or 2 channels and f.e. w/ the center uses a L&R channel matrix. like i've said - 5 or whatever channel stereo is a misnomer (good buzz term for marketing though.) at most, besides the 2

discrete channels, u may get a L&R matrixed channel - but even calling that a channel is pushing it- it ain't no discrete channel.

i think what people are looking for is no added effects by time delay, reverb, etc.

the yammy may offer 4 speaker stereo, like A+B on a stereo amp, if this dsp mode adds none of these effects.

At the time my Denon hammered my Yamaha right out of the house and back to the dealer in 5 ch stereo. The Yamaha just couldn't reproduce similar 2 ch sound without some differences and the Denon did so very well. I am not trying to put down the Yamaha as it has been a favorite of mine ever since I was a youngster but the Denon took it in my house at the time and I wanted the Yamaha.

4 ch stereo with rear effects? That's like using rear effects for mains. What kind of 4 ch. Stereo can a pair of rear effects provide?

I know I'm off topic but what the heck. I have lots to learn about lots of things and some of those things are the differences in different receivers and that's all i'm doing here anyway. We will all be looking for some sort of upgrade at one time or another so good or bad, it's all good info.

yea my %&^$ sony sends the same channel info to the L front-rear & R front-rear speaks for those dsp modes like "live house" or "disco" for 2 channel material like CDs.

but it delays the signal to the rears for a spacing effect (reverb).

the denon mode sends it at the same time without the dsp messing w/ signal timing. i'd have to use A+B to get this, but then i couldn't use those same rears for surround effects w/ HT(5.1).

i think besides denon, some of the newer units from yammy & even sony do now offer this (must have been losing sales to denon) biggrin.gif

You guys are making me defend my poor old Yammie, but its worth defending (educating) smile.gif

RWMIN, "4 ch stereo with rear effects? That's like using rear effects for mains. What kind of 4 ch. Stereo can a pair of rear effects provide?"

- The DSP-A1 rears are more than just for effects. The rears specs: 110W, 0.015% THD, and 20-20,000 Hz...just like the mains. If I had the space for a second set of Heresey IIs for the rear, I would be all over it! I know it would be a very musical setup.

boa12, "...but it delays the signal to the rears for a spacing effect (reverb).

the denon mode sends it at the same time without the dsp messing w/ signal timing."

- With the DSP-A1, you can trim back each DSP field (i.e. delay, reverb, etc...) down to flat, which I do quite often for 4-channel listening.

Like RWMIN stated, it's fun posting about our gear. I know Denon makes very good products. I have the DCM-370 CDP.

But is anyone out there using an external decoder with their DSP-A1???

Come out of your left/right front preouts to

Niles audio distribution amplifier to two

200 watt x 5 channel Acurus amps to 5 pairs of KLF30's.Spread speakers generously around room and turn volume to 12 o'clock.Enjoy. smile.gif

Keith

yea rob I said that you can take out the reverb in an earlier post.

but even if u turn reverb down to flat, u still have the signal running through a dsp, no?

compare that to the denon (if u want to dive into the schematics biggrin.gif)

back to your original program...

quote:

Originally posted by tljraj:

Rob, I myself am a Yamaha owner of a DSP A-1 what is the purpose of the external decoder and higher sampling fregs?

Check out page 17 of the owner's manual. These inputs are for external sound processor, decoder, amplifier, etc. All digital audio signal input terminals are applicable to the sampling frequency of 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz. Same of the new digital formats out now (i.e. DVD-A) sample up to higher freqs.

The question I think you should ask your self is "I'm I an idiot for buying a Yamaha DSP-1A and not something like a Marantz SR-18, or 19 or 14!?" I say take your Yamaha DSP-1A back, or ask your local deal if you can try a Marantz SR-18 hooked up to your sound system for a day and I bet you, that you'll want to keep it!!!???

I returned my DSP A-1 for the RX-V1 in order to get the benefit of the 92KHZ Dacswhich I feed a true digital 96/48 from my Denon 5000 DVD player. That being said, most of the new formats (i.e. Sonys SACD and the DVDA) are only outputting an analog signal. Which means that the DSP A-1 will do fine with these newer formats by utilizing the 6.1 channel analog inputsthese bypass all DSP functions and, or course, circuitry.

IF you happen to have a device that outputs a digital 48/92khz signal, then the older DSP-A-1 would miss out on this higher sampling rate material. But remember, if your external device has good dacsor if you purchase a good outboard dac such as MSB technologies, you would never need to upgrade for this reason alone.

As for the DSP modes on the YamahaGod if I havent heard this argument beforeIf you have the Entertainment dsp on your Yamaha you can alter it to deliver 8.1 channels of stereo. Of course these are not discrete channels because the music was not recorded in 8.1 discrete channels. But it will fill the room nicely with soundjust as the Denon will do. Yamaha decided they too were sick of hearing about Denons 5 channel stereo so on their newer and less expensive RXV1000 they re-named one of their DSPs stereo. Its all in the delivery I guess.

• 3 weeks later...