New receiver opinions please

Amstaff

I will be replacing a Yamaha RX-Z1 in the not too distant future. I use this to power a pair of RF-7s, RC-7, pair of RC-7s and a RSW-15. Most of my use is HT....and this setup kicks tail.

I am looking to replace the Z1 - in order to get a receiver that handles the HD sound tracks that BD provide. I will possibly add a couple of rear speakers too (will pick up another pair of RS-7s if I decide to do this).

When I listen to music (not often) with my current setup some of the high notes/treble feel almost "harsh" if that is the right word.

Any people pair the "older" Reference line with a current Denon (4810.../)? Any thoughts? Stick with Yammy? Price up to approx. $3k...

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Like everyone....I am biased. Based on your budget and our similar past receiver experiences, I recommend you buy the RX-Z7 and never look back. Pretty much a no brainer....

2 cents.....

PS...if the highs are a little too harsh while cranking music, save one of your callibrations using "Natural Mode". This mode will tone down the high frequencies and will result in a warmer sound. The Z-7 will allow you to save several acoustic callibrations, and each can be recalled with a single press of a button. Awesome stuff....IMO.

• Moderators

pick up another pair of RS-7s if I decide to do this).

When I listen to music (not often) with my current setup some of the high notes/treble feel almost "harsh" if that is the right word.

That is a characteristic of the RF-7's. When Klipsch designed the RF-83's, they made them less "harsh" and more refined and laid back. Some prefer it better, some like the in your face sound of the RF-7's.

I believe DeanG's crossovers help refine the sound of the RF-7's. He is a member of the forums.

Guest davidness

I recommend you buy the RX-Z7 and never look back.

I have the RX-Z7 and really like it. It is used with my RF-7's and RC-7, although I now use the pre-outs and use other power amps.

I would also point out that newegg.com is closing out (?) the RX-Z11, and I saw them advertised earlier this weekend for around $2199. I see the price has fluctuated back up to $2499 at the moment, but it is run on sale very often. It might be every Friday/Sat, but not certain.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115135

The Z7 is newer than the Z11, and has a slightly upgraded upscaler chip I believe, but the Z11 is a monster in every other way.