Hard Boiled Eggs

CIGARBUM

Does anyone have a good method of hard boiling eggs without using a chisel to get the shell off. I have tried about everything and the shell still comes off in little pieces and stuck to the white of the egg.

Is it the redneck chicken eggs that I get up in the mountains???

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

cb

The trick is not to use very fresh eggs, not to say let em rot first but the older they are the easier they are to peel.

My wife is the expert on this subject and has found this to be the correct answer. [Y] NOTE: She buys fresh eggs and lets them sit out over night. She read somewhere that leaving them out for 24 hours equals a week's worth of aging.

The trick is not to use very fresh eggs, not to say let em rot first but the older they are the easier they are to peel.

My wife is the expert on this subject and has found this to be the correct answer. Yes NOTE: She buys fresh eggs and lets them sit out over night. She read somewhere that leaving them out for 24 hours equals a week's worth of aging.

Buying your eggs a week ahead of time is really best, leaving out overnight may invite unwanted results. [+o(]

Does anyone have a good method of hard boiling eggs without using a chisel to get the shell off. I have tried about everything and the shell still comes off in little pieces and stuck to the white of the egg.

Use a sharper chisel?

Perhaps a belt sander?

[:P]

(shutting up now....lest you smack me upside the head next time I see you [:#])

I boil a lot of eggs.

here is what I think works to allow easier peeling.

Boil eggs for desired time. Then immediately put eggs in a bowl of water and ice for about 10 minutes. If all the ice melts...you didn't have enough ice. then put eggs in fridge.

What I do is put the boiling pot in the sink and run cold water over them while I get the ice. Then just add ice to the boiling pot. I do this way to keep from having to wash more dishes.

jc

I boil a lot of eggs.

Boil eggs for desired time. Then immediately put eggs in a bowl of water and ice for about 10 minutes. If all the ice melts...you didn't have enough ice. then put eggs in fridge.

What I do is put the boiling pot in the sink and run cold water over them while I get the ice. Then just add ice to the boiling pot. I do this way to keep from having to wash more dishes.

jc

That is curious advice. My Grandmother used to say the same thing. Perhaps we are long lost cousins.

Actually, there is a fix:

Boil the eggs in water with about a level teaspoon of baking soda. There is a complex chemical reaction that occurs (and I can't remember the source of where I read it, but it was pretty recent). The issue is related to fresh eggs - apparently, the wholesale egg industry has been steadily reducing time-to-market recently, resulting in sticky shells for hard boiled eggs. The baking soda (or baking powder as a substitute) will really help. It does impart a very, very slight taste, but you can adjust downward the amount of baking soda used to correct for any taste issues.

This works pretty well. I'd also use running cool/cold water to peel under for the "hard cases"... [;)]

EDIT: See this link.

Chris

• Moderators

I boil a lot of eggs.

jc

That's what I do also.

When we had chickens a couple of years ago you could never peel the eggs easily, so fresh is definitely much harder to peel.

Try some beer when eating boiled eggs and then eat some beans that night or some type of greens, [:|], it's a bad combination. [+o(]

I boil a lot of eggs.

jc

jc,

I can't believe it! That is exactly what I do. Must be an old southern trick.

tc