Chorus Question

CapZark

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've owned some of the accepted Heritage speakers (Cornwall and Heresy) and I've owned what I call Extended Heritage (Forte II and Academy), and I've owned some of the Classic line (KG 5.2, KG 3.2, KV-2 and KG 2.5). I've liked them all except the KV-2. All the families have a different sound and quality to them.

Owning some Heritage I really don't think what I call the Extended Heritage is part of the Heritage line. (Don't kick me off Amy!!!!) They have a different sound and build and just don't fit in my mind. I also think the Academy is clearly more in the Extended Heritage line than the Heritage (Again Amy don't kick me out of the family for disagreeing!!!!).

Just my opinion. I've said it before, I don't think what name your speakers have matters. If you like them is what matters. I realize the Heritage name carries weight in the Klipsch world which is why we'd like to attach speakers we love to that name but I don't think its proper to add what is clearly a different speaker to the Heritage family tree. I've got to think anyone who has owned both Heritage and Extended Heritage would see and hear the differences and agree. I could be wrong, its happened before!

Try to find some Chorus II's, the midrange is better and the bass is more enveloping, both sell fairly close in price.

$400 - 750 depending on condition.

My Chorus II's with some power behind them will make either of my CD players skip through the music, just to give you an idea on what you get, front row concert is the best way i can explain the sound. All you need then is some kids blowing pot smoke in your face and some drunk behind you falling over to get the full effect.

Question to Chorus owners.

Is the Chorus less sensitive to placement than the Chorus II with its passive woofer?
I know how picky the Forte II are to placement with their passive, I've always considered getting Chorus I just to have the front ports which I'd think would be happy sitting anywhere.

I realize the Heritage name carries weight in the Klipsch world which is why we'd like to attach speakers we love to that name but I don't think its proper to add what is clearly a different speaker to the Heritage family tree. I've got to think anyone who has owned both Heritage and Extended Heritage would see and hear the differences and agree. I could be wrong, its happened before!

It's going to be hard for some folks to get use to but it is what it is.

This question (or definition...) of Heritage seems to crop up lately. "Heritage" refers to the original general "line-up" of PWK's designs; and specifically the Klipschorn, Klipsch Belle, LaScala, Cornwall and Heresy. The Belle was discontinued, but the "split" design is still seen in the modern LaScala II.

The following "generations" of Forte's, Chorus', Academy, etc. are not part of the "Heritage" group of speakers, but are sometimes called or referred to by owners, etc as "Classic", "Legend" etc. There is no "Extended Heritage", etc. in any of their product information or literature.

See: http://www.klipsch.com/images/download/152.aspx

See: http://www.klipsch.com/images/download/150.aspx

And..... http://www.klipsch.com/images/download/2589.aspx

That does not necessarily mean that the other speakers are "Children of a Lesser God" by any means. For example, while the Palladium may not be a "Heritage", it is, nonetheless, currently the premier flagship product. It's just different. Same thing with the "Reference" Series. There's some serious speakers in Reference... Each "group" is/was designed to generally do somewhat of a different job, and each "group" has a unique sound.

It's an "apples" and "oranges" thing.

Cool

I have a belief that the terms "Heritage", "Legend","Reference", etc. have a different meaning (wether by intention, or accidental, on the part of Klipsch, the company). I believe that these terms are designated as such to indicate to the consumer of a timbre match, I.E. speakers that sound similar and would be a good match.

We should be grateful that Klipsch continues to recognize and incorporate the discontinued models in their current, foreward thinking capacity. Other companies are only interested in discussing current models of products and usually won't recognize discontinued models, as something that has already been sold has NO benifit to them (other than reputation) and would just as soon have the item that they already sold once disappear in hopes that you'll buy another new one from them. Take Gibson for example, good luck trying to find ANY acknowledgement of prior models that are out of production anywhere on their website.

While Klipsch would prefer that we (Forum Members) purchase NEW items from them, to continue their profitability, they also recognize their "Heritage" and recognize that this forum and all it's nutty members constantly talking about previous models is somehow a benifit to their continued existance.

That being said, If you believe that Heritage should only include Klipschorn, Belle, Lascalla, Cornwall, and Heresy, wouldn't you also agree that Lascalla II, Cornwall II and III, Heresy II and III would also NOT be part of the "Heritage" line?

The fact that the Cornwall was DISCONTINUED during the run of the Chorus, and the Chorus actually REPLACED the Cornwall during it's run, I would concede that the Chorus IS a part of the Heritage, in both family and Timbre. While the Forte, Quartet, and Academy were not replacements, but were rather, additions to the line, does not take away from the fact that they still have the same timbre quality.

Let's not get wrapped up in the "Heritage" as being somehow "TRUE" Klipsch, but rather be thankful that Klipsch even recognizes them and includes them in their current marketing stratagy.

Kudos Klipsch.

Try to find some Chorus II's, the midrange is better and the bass is more enveloping, both sell fairly close in price.

My Chorus II's with some power behind them will make either of my CD players skip through the music, just to give you an idea on what you get, front row concert is the best way i can explain the sound. All you need then is some kids blowing pot smoke in your face and some drunk behind you falling over to get the full effect.

Is the Chorus less sensitive to placement than the Chorus II with its passive woofer?
I know how picky the Forte II are to placement with their passive, I've always considered getting Chorus I just to have the front ports which I'd think would be happy sitting anywhere.

I'll try again. Has anyone who has owned both Chorus and Chorus IIs find that the orignal Chorus less picky about placement?

I'll try again. Has anyone who has owned both Chorus and Chorus IIs find that the orignal Chorus less picky about placement?

I'd be happy to answer your question, If I had ever seen or heard Chorus II's. I will venture a guess and say that the Chorus I's are slightly less critical, as my forte's are more sensitive to placement. But, I've heard that the Chorus II has such an improved bass response, that even bad placement may be equal to Chorus I's in their optimal placement.

Sorry I can't help.

I had both the Chorus and Chorus II. Although I didn't experiment with placement much, I used my II's about 3 feet out from the wall and loved them. I found the best placement for the Chorus was in someone else's possession. Hope this helps.

Keith

To clarify something that is not clear..... We do have a web page that lists our discontinued Heritage products. But let me qualify...

The core Heritage line historically consisted of the Khorn, Belle, LaScala, Cornwall, and Heresy. Academy is thrown in for good measure, since it was the center channel of choice for that line, and didn't otherwise have a "home."

The Forte, Quartet, and Chorus had since been adopted into that line, which is where they will stay.

It's likely my fault and not by any master design that other products are in the Heritage category. They simply didn't have a home under "Products By Line."

So under Heritage they reside until a better structure can be determined. These vagabonds include the NON-Heritage products: Rebel, KSS and Shorthorn.

Hi Amy,

I assume you might be the person to ask since it sounds like you do a lot with the website.

When I used to look at the discontinued Klipsch products, like the Forte II for example, I could click on the similar products tab and see all other speakers that would be timbre matched to the Forte II. Its family we'll say. Now I see new products instead. I understand its Klipsch's goal to sell new speakers but the way it used to be was a nice tool for use guys who enjoy the older stuff.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/forte-ii-similar/

Any hope that will go back to the old way and maybe another tab that says "Current Klipsch Products" to up sell people to the new stuff? I'm flattered by the way that the current setup says the P-39Fs are similar to my Forte IIs! Wonder if any current P-39F owners would like to trade for a while to compare?? [:P]

Hi again Amy,

Another question popped into my head after rereading your post above.

You said: "The core Heritage line historically consisted of the Khorn, Belle, LaScala, Cornwall, and Heresy. Academy is thrown in for good measure, since it was the center channel of choice for that line, and didn't otherwise have a "home."" If I remember right from the old way the Klipsch site did it, it gave me the impression the Academy was part of the Chorus II, Forte II, and Quartet family. Was the Academy designed to be timbre matched to them or to what you called the "core" Heritage line?

Before anyone answers back "since Amy said The Forte, Quartet, and Chorus had since been adopted into that line, which is where they will stay so it doesn't matter they are all in the Heritage family now" let me be clear I'm not debating name, but asking about timbre matching. I've stated a few times already in the past that the Heritage/not Heritage thing isn't important to me, its just a name.

It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that the different families of Klipsch were designed to sound right together, to be timbre matched. That is what I'm asking, what was the Academy designed to be mated with? There must be someone still with Klipsch who was in Hope when they were designing the Chorus, Forte lines what knows what the intent of the Academy was.

Actually he/she would know the intent of the Chorus and Forte which would put to rest the whole Heritage/not Heritage thing too.

I had both the Chorus and Chorus II. Although I didn't experiment with placement much, I used my II's about 3 feet out from the wall and loved them. I found the best placement for the Chorus was in someone else's possession. Hope this helps.

Keith

Could you give me a quick comparision between the Chorus and Chorus II? Sounds to me like you didn't care for the orignal Chorus, so I'm curious why?

They were too bright. I used both with a Scott intergrated amp and also with a Denon receiver used as a pre-amp with an Acurus amplifier. The tube amp tamed some of the shrillness and the SS I used was about as warm. In fact I liked the SS better. The II's seemd to be more 'balanced', for lack of a better description, with better bass.

As far as the Klipsch sound goes, you can't get the shimmer of a cymble without the edgey part that I didn't particularly enjoy. The part that gave listening fatigue after a while. But then I have work related hearing loss. Maybe I should have equalized the speakers to better match with my hearing graph.

Keith

Don't know if this helps but, I picked up a complete 7.1 set up consisting of Fortes I think ones, Academy, and 4 kg3.2s. So in my opinion the Academy would be the best link between. Since I had read that a lot are using the Academy for the Heritage line (K-horns, Lascalas, Cornwall, and Heresies). I had to give it a try.

So I replaced my rc-52 center with the Academy Imho it was louder and more dynamic. Which is some of the most important things to keep up with the larger speakers.

Back to my first statement the gentleman I purchased from said these were all recommended for one another. So if Fortes and Chorus are similar I would feel that you would have know problem matching a Academy with your Chorus(if you were even asking that). Same goes with matching either of the several speakers together.

Another quick thing is that someone once told me that going with horns. You don't have as many issues with timbre.

duder

I have had several idderations of speakers in my HT and I have settled (for now) with Quartets for mains, Academy center, H2s and KG1.5s as sides and backs. I have also had for mains, Forte1s, H1s and H2s. The best match across the front with the speakers I own is now my current setup. The Quartets and Academy are pretty darn good if I may say so myself.

A supprising match was found when setting up my TV room, I am using my Forte1s as mains and had a SC1 from the old Synergy lineup, the match was perfect, I don't know if I was lucky or what but I am QUITE happy with this setup!

As to the Chori lineup, I can't be much help but under the skin, they are all kin anyway. I can say that it is easier to place my CW2s or the Sons KG 5.5s with the front ports than it is either my Forte or Quartets.

So I replaced my rc-52 center with the Academy Imho it was louder and more dynamic. Which is some of the most important things to keep up with the larger speakers.

duder

I had a KLF-C7 and and Academy both at the same time. I thought the C7 was easier to hear the dialog in the movies but as stupid a reason as it is I kept the Academy and sold the C7 because the Academy matched my Forte IIs (both as a recommendation of the old website and because it was oak oil like my Forte IIs where as the C7 was black) I think my Academy is better sounding now after the new crossovers but I sold the C7 before I got the crossovers back from DeanG so I can't compare them again now.

To clarify something that is not clear..... We do have a web page that lists our discontinued Heritage products. But let me qualify...

The core Heritage line historically consisted of the Khorn, Belle, LaScala, Cornwall, and Heresy. Academy is thrown in for good measure, since it was the center channel of choice for that line, and didn't otherwise have a "home."

The Forte, Quartet, and Chorus had since been adopted into that line, which is where they will stay.

It's likely my fault and not by any master design that other products are in the Heritage category. They simply didn't have a home under "Products By Line."

So under Heritage they reside until a better structure can be determined. These vagabonds include the NON-Heritage products: Rebel, KSS and Shorthorn.

Hi Amy,

I assume you might be the person to ask since it sounds like you do a lot with the website.

When I used to look at the discontinued Klipsch products, like the Forte II for example, I could click on the similar products tab and see all other speakers that would be timbre matched to the Forte II. Its family we'll say. Now I see new products instead. I understand its Klipsch's goal to sell new speakers but the way it used to be was a nice tool for use guys who enjoy the older stuff.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/forte-ii-similar/

Any hope that will go back to the old way and maybe another tab that says "Current Klipsch Products" to up sell people to the new stuff? I'm flattered by the way that the current setup says the P-39Fs are similar to my Forte IIs! Wonder if any current P-39F owners would like to trade for a while to compare?? Stick out tongue

Thought if I added Amy's name to the subject it may show up on her radar!!