WTB Scott 222 or 299

youngjj

Since the 70s I have had Heresys and have added others along the way, including Choruses. I am about to add La Scalas to the family, but have not made the jump to tubes. This is the time to do it. The 222, or 299 Scotts seem to be the best bet for me.

1. What are opinions on 222 versus 299 with La Scalas? (I know there are different models within each series, A, B, C, etc.)

2. Does anyone know about a nice amp for sale, preferably already refurbed?

Thanks.

I have had both a 222A, a 299A, and I have lascalas too. Without going into too much detail both the 222A and 299A were rebuilt by NOSValves and sounded very nice. The 222A was sold first because it just did not have the guts (power) the 299A did. Having both, I usually used the 299A.

BUT.............I also got an LK-72B (kit version of a 299D) at one point. This was maybe 5-6 years ago. To this day that is the amp I have connected to my lascalas. I have long since sold my 299A. The LK-72B is a match made in heaven for lascalas. At lease the one I have is. The LK-72B makes a ton of bass. An EL-84 tube based 299 does not even come close to the 7591 tube base in the later 299C and D.

If you are going to be using lascalas for any period of time, I would look at the HH Scott 7591 based tube amps and make sure they have the large transformers. Some were made with smaller transformers. The larger ones have a lot more power and make more bass which is what a lascala listener will appreciate. You will be very glad you did.

I would agree that the 7591 tubed Scottswould be the way to go. I have owned a 299 a and a 299b as well as a 299d. I also have a 222. The 299d was my favorite of the lot and I am somewhat sorry that I sold it. But I bet PM summer is not!

Josh