On glue

dollar bill

Glue on JBL 2245h that connects spider to cone has failed.

Any suggestions from the recone crowd, as to the best glue/method, to save me from spending more than I already have?

Seems every time I make one step forward, something else is going down, the "cursed" amp now has a break in the power cord and was powering up and down on it's own.

Just wanting to have a fully opperational system, just once even.

U-571 on Blu-Ray can only wait so long!lol

post-38220-13819555496526_thumb.jpg

post-38220-1381957070045_thumb.jpg

It's the neck joint where the coil former / cone and spider connect correct? I would pick up a 5 minute epoxy kit with a syringe / mixing tip, available at Canadian tire. The epoxy will be thick enough not to run right through the semi-porus spider and dribble down the former.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/HomeRepairMaintenance/TapeGlueSealants/PRD~0671407P/LePage%252B5-minute%252BInstant%252BEpoxy.jsp

If you add heat to help it kick over, beware that epoxies thin out when you add heat, this could cause some of it to run through the spider. Heat gun could be overkill even on low. Maybe a hairdryer on low would be best.

The tough part will be getting the spider back where it was originally. Maybe a bit of CA / Krazy Glue and a spray accelerator will help you out in getting it back where it's supposed to be, and keeping it there while you epoxy it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's the neck joint where the coil former / cone and spider connect correct? I would pick up a 5 minute epoxy kit with a syringe / mixing tip, available at Canadian tire. The epoxy will be thick enough not to run right through the semi-porus spider and dribble down the former.

while you epoxy it.

:(

Well it was worth a try, but didn't even get to half levels before the glue failed on one side and the spider cracked in a couple of spots on the other side.

I appreciate the advice though and maybe it is just a hit and miss or asking too much of that epoxy with this particular driver/ recone kit.

I had someone more experienced than myself, who does recones/replacement surrounds, but it does look like the 3rd party recone kit is the junk it was described as.[;)]

Might be time to cut my losses on this futile mission, recoup what little I can and just be satisfied with what I have, as I can't afford to keep pushing further(and lower).

To cap off my day, had a great deal on a Crown XTI 4000 fall through too.

I'll live.

DjK Hi;

That kit looks like it was made MWA Speaker parts, we use MWA parts for recones all the time, they are far cheaper than original parts and perform as well if not better than original!! We also use factory parts . The MWA cones and spiders are original as there is only a few manufactures of cones and spiders that all companys purchase from. MWA also winds voice coils to spec that are as good as original.

The way the glue joint looks it seems that the reconer just did a bad job on the recone. When we recone a speaker the glue joint at the spider to coil and cone to spider and coil is completely together on the outside of the coil and is also glued on the inside under the dust cap area at the union of the vioce coil and cone. We also put a glue joint on the underside of the spider at the spider to coil joint, even if there was not one from the factory!! This we do for all Pro Audio Speakers. That joint will not fail.

If anyone needs any help with recones we do it all. Contact me at home at 978-343-9343 Thanks Joey B KP 600, Thanks

Hi;

I have a 24 box KP 600 system and if you think Klipschorns sound fantastic then you will need to hold on!!!!! Forget what they say about Line arrays sounding like studio monitors this system is totally HI-FI at low or ear bleeding volumes.

If you need help with your speaker you can e-mail me at home at jophise@comcast.net.

Good luck Joey B KP600

• 3 weeks later...

Got a steal on some 18" Gauss 4288A's that we will run for now.

Lower wattage but a bit better sensitivity, really designed for horn loaded, bit you MCM guys knew that!

I also knew ahead of time, that recones are even more impossible to find than the JBL's, but the price was nice.