anyone use musical fidelity a1 or xa1 with klipsch?

gzman71

hi,have the option to buy the following amps- the original musical fidelity a1 @ 20 watts

- musical fidelity x-a1 @ 50 watts

both over $500 australian dollars.

building the system around my much loved kg-4's and looking for a warm sound but enough power for rock and acoustic rock and pop!

the upside on the a1 is the class a 8 watts and the phono stage,but what about the age? 1985 aprox....it is in mint condition but thats the outside.

the x-a1 has no phono stage and is 50 watts and more modern.

any help would be great as i have various speakers and amps in the past i have finally settled on my speakers and cdp of choice is rotels rcd965bx.

i have seen a nad 3020b also that i remember being great with rock music and great phono stage,would the

musical fidelity a1 (20W) be as powerful as the nads 20 watts?

thanks again!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The original MF A1 is a classic amp - but it does run very hot and so can have reliability problems. There are DIY sites on the internet to remedy this though. http://www.mhennessy1.f9.co.uk/mf_a1/index.htm

The XA-1 isn't anything special from what I recall. Also AUD $500 = over £300 and you could get the A1 in the Uk for just over £100 so it sounds rather overpriced IMO.

The NAD is classic though - you can't go far wrong with that and I'd guess it'd be easy to sell on.

thanks!, i ended up getting a dared mp5 tube amp 13 x 2 watts and what an amazing sound,just need a bit more power so have also brought

a marantz pm-7200 that runs 25watts in class A and 95watts in AB.....can't wait to try it was cheaper than both musical fidelity amps!

• 1 month later...

My quad 303 gave the MF A1 , a run for money .

Ofcourse I experimented with RF3s ,sb3s and celestion9, with both amps ,ABed.

To me musical fidelity was much revealing of the recordings with the quad being a bit mellow

And laid back,which I preferred for longer listening.

that's just my humble opinion .and yeah u could cook an egg over that MFs heat sink ,lolz, it goes truly hot!!!