Cornwalls..how big a room is needed?

mcp

I have a shot at a pair of 80's Cornwalls. How big a room will I need? I recently moved my system from a 17 X 13 living room to a 13 X 11 bedroom so that I could move my minimonitors out into the room. This wouldn't be a concern with the Cornwalls, would it? I could move the system back to the living room, if necessary. How far from the wall is optimal placement for the Cornwalls? I have a restored H/K 430 and am awaiting a Scott tube integrated to drive them.

Don't worry about it.

Not sure what you mean by "so I could move my minimonitors out into the room".

A larger listening space is always nice, especially with larger higher output speakers. You don't want to be "sitting on top of" the speakers so to speak. There's a couple feet separation between the Cornwall drivers so you need some space for the sound to "breathe and meld" together before it hits your ears. Optimal placement depends on the room, your listening location, the recording, etc. Only you can know for sure - its your ears and you are the one who has to listen to it.

I agree. It really depends on your likes and dislikes. I have all my stuff in a small corner of an open basement and I literally "sit on top of it", but I like it that way. I turn it up lightly and sit about 3 feet or so from the speakers. I prefer that to cranking everything out and sitting way back. Other folks like to rock the house down. So Cornwalls in a small room would work fine for me, but not for others.

If you want to maximize the base output the Cornwalls need to be against the wall, or even better in the corner i.e., Cornwall.

MCP,

So have they convinced you yet? If not, Do it, Do it...

You can't go wrong with a pair of Cornwalls, if they are local that's even better since you don't have to worry about shipping. As long as the price is right, you can turn around and sell them if you are not completely happy with them. I currently have 2 pairs in about the same size room you are talking about and they sound great, I'm sure if they had more room to breath they would sound even better. I really like that I can turn up the volume, not even half way, and do other things around the house and still hear them loud and clear.

James

Near field listening can be a truly amazing experience! By playing around with the speaker placement, and listening position, you can literally create a 180 degree soundstage with amazing depth. The literal immersion in your music is something to experience. In addition, given the Cornwalls' efficiency, you don't need any power at all to create substantial sound pressure levels (if you are into breaking your ear drums!). In a 13 X 11 room, a half watt into each speaker would probably be intolerable. If you get the chance to try a very low power SET with them you'll be amazed. Look at my system profile to read about what I use.

Cornwalls are an amazing speaker. I have attached a article from Dope from Hope written in 1968 that describes the "Golden Mean Room". I use mine in a room that's 22X15, but I like to put them on the long wall about 8 ft. apart and sit fairly close. I do not like them in the corners as the direct radiators tend to be boomy.

The-Papers 22.pdf

The-Papers 22.pdf