Look what I found in my belle

merkin

I reveneered my belles and when I took them apart they had two different k33's. One had a square magnet and the other had a round which I thought was weird. Then whn I looked in the dog house of the one i saw this. Looks like they had been real close to burning down everything. I chiseled out the burnt areas and putted in the gap. Lucky it wasn't where the woofer seated against the dog house slot.

post-17322-13819555639516_thumb.jpg

post-17322-13819570824702_thumb.jpg

No I'm not the original owner. I don't think the guy I bought them from was either. I got them off craigslist from a NON forum member. He never mentioned anything about the woofer being replaced. I don't know if he knew it had. I never asked if there had been a fire in them though. I'm wondering how that it happened. Is that from running too many watts to an efficient speaker.

After the woofers are broken in post your thoughts about Bob's cast frame woofers if you don't mind, another opinion is always welcome.

I too have been thinking about starting some veneer jobs around the house just for some practice so when the need to veneer a nice set of speakers it won't be too fugly looking.

Where did you end up getting your sheet stock ? When i was looking around the price varied so much it was hard to make an educated decision on what to buy.

Sorry ya got burned on the purchase man - but very glad it didn't turn out worse. I once found a ringing in mine, but after I took out the little metal dangly thingy out of the belle it stopped. [:D] Didn't do near the damage yours did or might have done. And mega grats on the veneer rehab - you did beautiful work there.... By the way, any relation to Hieronymus Merkin?

After the woofers are broken in post your thoughts about Bob's cast frame woofers if you don't mind, another opinion is always welcome.

I too have been thinking about starting some veneer jobs around the house just for some practice so when the need to veneer a nice set of speakers it won't be too fugly looking.

Where did you end up getting your sheet stock ? When i was looking around the price varied so much it was hard to make an educated decision on what to buy.

I used Oakwood Veneer company for my veneer. Prices were good and they had fast shipping. This was my first attempt at veneering. I did one piece of scrap then I started on the edge banding. Looking back I did some faux pas but luckly they aren't that visible. I just followed the directions on Joewoodworker.com The iron on method is very forgiving. I did buy an extra sheet of veneer just in case I really screwed up. That is one thing about wood working is that if you mess up you can usually go buy more wood. It did take a lot longer than I thought it would. It takes a lot of time to plan out how you are to cut the pieces out of the veneer so that the grain goes well with the speaker. I got that done for the front, top and lower sides. The upper sides I could have planned better and had the grain continue from the lower . I thought I had but I laid it out on the wrong edge. It still looks presentable but not perfect. That is why Greg makes his money for restorations, they are a lot of work planning and tedious work applying.

The cast frame woofers I'm still out on. Haven't listened much yet. I put them in so I would have matched woofers in each speaker and they really aren't that expensive.

Free Wheelin Franklin, gotta love it.

Back in my 12v car audio days I actually made a driver over extend so far that it would not return down into the magnet. It tore the spider and the voice coil sat to the side, what a sight to see and it wasn't from plugging it into 120v either, just raw USA 12v car audio amplifier power....

• Like 1

I bought a pair of LSs with blown out woofs. The previous owner said some guys hooked a bunch of musical power amps to them and blew them to smitherines. There wasn't a single torch mark on tthe cabs (except where someone left a cigarette). I can't imagine the amount of power that went in there and torched the speaker. It's kind of cool though, like a badge of honor. I'm just glad no one got hurt and the box is unscathed.

• 2 weeks later...