Adire Dharman

hwatkins

I have been back and forth on VTF-2, Pw2200 and SVS. SVS is the apparent winner, but a cube is so much more asthetically preferred. Then someone gave a 'to die for' wonderful review of the Adire Dharman for the price range.

You folks usually steer me best. Any experience out there?

------------------

Hwatkins

• 1 year later...

To SSeymour

I am looking at the Shiva as well. What kind of box did you make and what amp are you using to drive it?

I was thinking of a Carver magnetic field amp in bridged mode. The result I would call the Shiva Field Generator!

efzauner

Here are some links to Adire's reference designs for both the Shiva and Tempest.

http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/shiva_apps.htm

http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/tempest_apps.htm

If you can DIY the extra $25 on the Tempest is a no brainer provided you are ok with the much larger enclosure requirements. In both cases the preferred price/performance amp choice is the Parts Express 300-794 or the Adire AVA250. In proper enclosures both of these drivers can be pushed to their limits with only 250W.

You may also want to look at the Stryke AV12 or AV15.

As for the Dharman, right on par with the SVS CS or PCi series IMO. Also don't forget SVS now has the PB1 ISD which is essentially a 25-31PCi tuned to 22hz and a box instead of a tube.

The Adire Dharman is a top notch sub, capable of good output while staying clean. It did quite well when it was "Nousained", here's some numbers of it and a few other subs:

SVS 20-39CS(not latest driver)- 109.5 /20hz~91db__25hz~105.8

Adire Audio Dharman 107.9 / 20hz~96dB__25hz~102dB

Velodyne FSR15 - 107.8 / 20hz~102dB__25hz~105dB

Paradigm PW2200 - 107.4dB / 20hz~91dB(106.25)

Hsu Research VTF-2 - 107.1 / 20hz~93dB(106)

However, my choice would be the SVS PB1-ISD. Coming in at the same price, you have thicker enclosure walls, slightly more powerful amp, and higher output(by a significant but not huge margin). The Dharman doesn have a nicer finish IMO.